PDA

View Full Version : hmmm

james_19
24-01-09, 05:06 PM
can i get insured on a car that is sorn?? no mot or tax, so basically a scrap car??

Asa-James
24-01-09, 05:08 PM
so long as its not registered as scrap, i dont see why not. it needs insuring to get it to an mot station, regardless of tax and test. if i'm wrong, please correct me, as i have to do it soon to get mine mot'd!

james_19
24-01-09, 05:27 PM
yeh thats right mate. i need to mot me other car and have to be insured on it first. so that bits right. i dont see why not though gettin insured on a car that is nackered, with out mot or tax. its just that i have an astra van c20xe and cant get insured on it and my brother has motor traders so am just guna insure a nackered car and drive it third party.

srs1
24-01-09, 05:39 PM
you cant if i am reading correctly.

the astra van HAS to have its own insurance on it for the other person to be 3rd party on it.

in a nut shell,
every car on the road has its own insurance and people can use that car using there own policy to secure them in the event of an accident.

Nobby
24-01-09, 05:56 PM

in a nut shell,
every car on the road has its own insurance and people can use that car using there own policy to secure them in the event of an accident.

:thumb:

BIGS
24-01-09, 05:59 PM
Im sure you can, you think people leave there cars on driveways without insurance that can get nicked. what would they do they wont get any money back on it!

valvercorsa
24-01-09, 06:22 PM

this is true :)

CoolTiger
24-01-09, 06:36 PM
this is true :)
as above

only way ull get around it is to get ur nanna to insure it for 40£ a year or something stupid and then do what ur thinking of doing

Mike
25-01-09, 09:32 AM
Technically you can easily insure said un-taxed car. You cant legally drive it anywhere, but you can insure it :thumb:

letvalva
25-01-09, 10:29 AM

the astra van HAS to have its own insurance on it for the other person to be 3rd party on it.

in a nut shell,

as long as the astra is recorded on the traders policy it is insured, i have traders policy and if your keeping a car longer than 2 week it has to put on the motor insurance database,but you might not be covered on your third party to drive any car any way as most say any car apart from any motor trade vechicles or words to that effect

hope this helps

james_19
25-01-09, 07:43 PM
oo ok thanks. my brother is goin to get motor traders and put my car on it and am guna by a micra lol and insure that fully comp and drive any car third party.

Riggy
25-01-09, 10:06 PM
^^ that wont work , as said above your insurance will say the you are not covered with anything to do with the motor trade ,

only way is has already been said , get someone to insure astra in their name, but even so this is still illegal ,

if you want to be legal get your brother to add your name to the traders policy

Dan
25-01-09, 10:28 PM
first off, lets get down to the problem, why cant you get insured on the astravan. If its age related tough titty, get some no claims like every other mug on the planet and toe the line whilst getting the experience in the real world and earning cheaper insurance. If its points related from speeding/crashing/whatever, same response, learn to respect the roads and your insurance will slowly respect your pocket.

Either way screwing the insurance isnt the way to do it (i havent read anything that would work legally anyway) just cough up and pay the extreme rate or wait until you have earned the chance to drive something abit better than the 1.0 and 1.2's of the world

james_19
26-01-09, 04:55 PM
haha ok

Sloth
26-01-09, 05:03 PM
right the astra has to be in another persons name (not yours) as your 3rd party cover only covers cars that arnt yours. and even so the cops will go to town on you for it. i have been told by my broker that the "3rd party on fully comp" is being cancelled from dec 31st 2009 any way, to close the loophole. just pay the premium mate.

letvalva
26-01-09, 05:31 PM
^^ that wont work , as said above your insurance will say the

if you want to be legal get your brother to add your name to the traders policy

that might not work any way as the traders policy may only cover him to use the car for trade reasons not sdp

best thing to remember here is that ya got to crawl before ya can walk, then walk before ya can run.

get some ncb behind ya and do the job right

Jack
26-01-09, 05:40 PM
i have been told by my broker that the "3rd party on fully comp" is being cancelled from dec 31st 2009 any way, to close the loophole. just pay the premium mate.
What loophole? Not all premiums offer this... And I'll be extremely annoyed if little squirts (read: under 25s) have been abusing those few policies that do offer it so the likes of myself can't use it legitimately :mad:

Riggy
26-01-09, 06:07 PM
What loophole? Not all premiums offer this... And I'll be extremely annoyed if little squirts (read: under 25s) have been abusing those few policies that do offer it so the likes of myself can't use it legitimately :mad:

here here , i use mine quite alot actually , would be a pain if i didnt have it

Sloth
26-01-09, 06:30 PM
thats the exact reason rj, too many yoofs getting sh1t cars then running redtop corsas for example in their dads name. ive had this verified by a copper too. sorry.

KSRY
26-01-09, 06:42 PM
Im sure you can, you think people leave there cars on driveways without insurance that can get nicked. what would they do they wont get any money back on it!

Thats covered by home Insurance

Jack
26-01-09, 07:13 PM
thats the exact reason rj, too many yoofs getting sh1t cars then running redtop corsas for example in their dads name. ive had this verified by a copper too. sorry.
Hmm. We'll see. I don't know of many insurance companies that cover under 25s on any car, for the above reasons, but I can't see insurance companies cancelling it on over-25 policies.

Sloth
26-01-09, 07:35 PM
adrian flux do it matey. biggest ned/chav car insurer going. "im wit flux y0, gt me saxo 1.1 wiv 20's and kit an vtec y0 covaad fer £3k, n i kan rally rahhnd in me dads cossie blud" there are other companys aswell.

james_19
26-01-09, 10:11 PM
bell do it

james_19
26-01-09, 10:16 PM
and the insurance companies wont be cancelling there under 25 fully comp third party just increasin the premiums that are charged for this service.
so i can rally around in me astra insured by my mother while havin my 1.0 spin insured fully comp.

Sloth
26-01-09, 10:33 PM
well the traffic officer i asked said the cops had asked for it to be removed and the national federation of motor vehicle insureres agreed. i belive that enough matey. bout time too

james_19
26-01-09, 10:40 PM
orite fair enough well i'll have a year doing that then mate. so am ok. thanks for that information then