PDA

View Full Version : will this bodge work?

BIGS
24-01-09, 01:46 PM
Yes i know this is very stupid question, your probley say no but worth a try. I had to fit my sump plug with abit of cloth because the other one ripped out and needed to see if the engine was ok or not. and now i cant undo the sump bolts to change it. So would this bodge be safe to drive with for 15 miles? It is stuck and wont come out unless i used a spanner

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/b17ova/newnova013.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/b17ova/newnova012.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/b17ova/newnova011.jpg

nova_saloon
24-01-09, 01:48 PM
is it held in by the thread and is it leaking?

BIGS
24-01-09, 01:50 PM
well thats the thing the threads got taken away when the old bolt got ripped out. it has just one thread at the end and thats it. it isnt leaking no. ive been under with it running for 30mins and not a drop

nova_saloon
24-01-09, 01:58 PM
Yeh it would work if you drive home, try not to rev to high otherwise might put the pressure up a little bit and may start to leak but i advise you replace it a.s.a.p but it will be alright for a bit

BIGS
24-01-09, 02:00 PM
Ah thats ok then, i need to go somewhere only 15 miles away so ill take a nice slow drive then, cheers for the fast reply

rep added

MK999
24-01-09, 02:01 PM
Judgement call on whether or not it holds really, only you can tell, if it's not leaking at the moment that's a good start though i'd say

nova_saloon
24-01-09, 02:02 PM
Much appreciated an no problem. just keep a close eye on it, every couple of miles jump out turn the engine off let the oil settle check the oil level and check for any leaks. but be careful cause if it does go, you really dont want that going on ur tyres.

BIGS
24-01-09, 02:03 PM
Yea well i tried to pull it out with my fingers and it wouldnt move. so maybe take a spare 5 liters of oil just incass

nova_saloon
24-01-09, 02:03 PM
good plan and good luck!

BIGS
24-01-09, 02:04 PM
wel dont think ill be able to stop untill i get to the place. from my house it right onto the a38 then turn off at the plcae i need to go

Cheers fingers crossed it will be fine

Nobby
24-01-09, 02:08 PM
pmsl proper jobby!! lie people said if its not leaking now its shouldnt but only you will know just dont drive like a fool and it should be fine?

BIGS
24-01-09, 02:15 PM
Yea i will, good job ive got a long ratio 5th gear. low revs for me

_JH_
24-01-09, 02:38 PM
I think you're all insane.

Leak? Dripping? Who cares? If it goes, it'll be pretty quick and your engine will be fuct, you may also cause an accident in the process if it siezes or you piss about trying to pull over in time.

BIGS
24-01-09, 02:44 PM
I think you're all insane.

Leak? Dripping? Who cares? If it goes, it'll be pretty quick and your engine will be fuct, you may also cause an accident in the process if it siezes or you piss about trying to pull over in time.

So i take it you dont think i should drive it like it then lol, But yea thats already happened, im lucky the engine didnt sieze but its fine.

trackdaynova
24-01-09, 02:58 PM
buy my sump and sump bolt thats in the for sale section lol

MK999
24-01-09, 03:55 PM
weld the fecker in ! lol

Adam
24-01-09, 03:59 PM
Would i f**k risk driving it like that! lol
It may not leak with the car stationary, but a bump in the road could see it fall straight out......

bai1ey
24-01-09, 05:33 PM
silicon sealent and plenty of it i would surjest(sp) but that is just me i ama rough F**Ker

BIGS
24-01-09, 05:49 PM
buy my sump and sump bolt thats in the for sale section lol

lol yes i would if it was a x16xe one :p

BIGS
24-01-09, 05:50 PM
Hmm i dont know what to do now, Might drive it up and down my bumpy street for a while and see what happens lol

Rich
24-01-09, 06:07 PM
Dont really want to be dumping 3 and a half litres of oil on the road.. Take the rag out and sealer it up would be better, cant you get somone to tow you?

dougie_boi
24-01-09, 07:11 PM
maybe cover it in chemical metal its quite strong but would need a good clean around the area so it sticks to it you can get it from any motor factor or halfords

craig green
24-01-09, 07:42 PM
No point in the chemical metal (Ronnies LET on MIG is proof of that!) & driving up & down your road to see if it will budge is a great way of annoying the hell out of anyone you live near. If you have to risk it, do so otherwise get a new sump on it.

Didnt you drive it with the oil pressure warning light on recently anyway?

BIGS
24-01-09, 10:13 PM
Na when i mean driving not hammering the hell out of it. it pull away in 3rd gear so i would of done that and built abit of speed up with any noise. Yea thats the reason why the sump plug is there with cloth holding it in. And ive got a x14xe sump here i was going to change today. got all the bolts off ready to take the sump off and its stuck on there :wtf:. Tried all i could. hammer, screwdriver, chisel and it wouldnt move. so god knows what im going to do. and with no money i cant take it to a garage to have it done

meritlover
24-01-09, 10:14 PM
did you take the bolts out the bell housing?

AlexW
24-01-09, 10:14 PM
Musta got proper hot then.

BIGS
24-01-09, 10:20 PM
Yea got them bolts out aswell. trust me it wasnt a bolt on it. the only thing i can think of is what AW06 said. when i drove it with no oil it must of got that hot and metled the sump to the block?

meritlover
24-01-09, 10:23 PM
.....only thing i can think of is what AW06 said. when i drove it with no oil it must of got that hot and metled the sump to the block?

yet the white metal on your bearings remains intact. how strange.

lol lol

BIGS
24-01-09, 10:27 PM
Its a magic engine lol

pul16v
24-01-09, 10:37 PM
cut off the excess cloth and blather it with windowsealer/sicka flex then let it go off proplerly. if it will hold a window in place id be happy letting it keep a plug in for 15 miles it shouldnt become pressureized in the block anyway unless you engine is fubard make sure you clean the area up really well so you get a good key

mowgli
25-01-09, 08:57 AM
if all of your bolts that you took out, when counted up, matched the number of holes in your new sump, then you simply were not brutal enough with trying to remove the sump. the seal on it will be ridiculously strong, and as you will need a new gasket, you should get a really thin chisel or similar and split the old gasket. it will come off.

Adam
25-01-09, 11:50 AM
As above, if the sumps been on a while they can be stuck f**king solid!
Ive had to take a sledge hammer to the one on my old 1.2 8v before to even loosen it....

Leeboo
25-01-09, 01:33 PM
If you can't pull it out with pliers, then its bound to be ok!!

A mate put a hole in the sump of his TD cav and all of the oil pissed out at a service station... we refilled it, smothered the big hole with silicone bathroom sealer stuff lol (didn't even let it harden as there was so much of it). Then we drove about 60 miles home, and had nothing but a slow drip ;) .

craig green
26-01-09, 12:04 PM
Any sumps I've removed have been stuck solid. It's not unusual.

In this case chiselling it off is OK, but you can bend or even crack alloy sumps so I wouldnt advise it unless you can use caution or mechanical sympathy.

BIGS
26-01-09, 12:10 PM
tbh Craig i dont care about this sump, its not really any good to use now the thread as been stripped. so i would do anything to get it off. I did use a screwdriver and smacked it with a hammer but that didnt move it. Think i might take it to a garage when i got money and get them to take it off. it can be their problem then, its no way i will be getting it off

Welsh Dan
26-01-09, 12:42 PM
If you can get the sump off intact then just redrill and tap the hole and use a larger sump plug or a helicoil.

craig green
26-01-09, 12:48 PM
tbh Craig i dont care about this sump, its not really any good to use now the thread as been stripped. so i would do anything to get it off. I did use a screwdriver and smacked it with a hammer but that didnt move it. Think i might take it to a garage when i got money and get them to take it off. it can be their problem then, its no way i will be getting it off

I was just adding general helpfull advice for anyone elses benefit. I know yours is funked. Helicoiling it as replied above is nt a bad idea, though swapping sumps is cheaper if you have another.

Just work a decorators scraper between the sump & block & work around breaking the seal, or get someone a liitle more manly to try it...... :roll: