PDA

View Full Version : for those having trouble with vista

mowgli
24-01-09, 10:17 AM
I was getting really frustrated with my vista pc. it was gettng painfully slow, I tried deleting surplus files, cookies & temp internet files. I have been running all sorts of scanning programs to kill spyware etc. as a last resort, I got my friend, who works with computers all day & hates then so I normally don't bother him with them, to look at it...

the cure:

stick an extra gigabyte of ram in it!!!!!!!!!!

at a total cost of £10 (google microbits) I now have a pc that runs like a good one on xp......

Mazz
24-01-09, 11:18 AM
I run Vista Ultimate and that used to run fine with 1gb DDR2, but i've got 4gb now and its great! :)

NovaBoi92
24-01-09, 11:26 AM
vista needs at least 1gb of ram to run iirc, or run WELL. xp ftw - i hate vista

bmw156
24-01-09, 11:36 AM
second xp ftw, never had any problems with it, always hearing about probs with vista

NovaBoi92
24-01-09, 11:46 AM
its not just problems with vista, one other thing that annoys me is that it asks your 'permission' for nearly everything you do!! >> start menu WINDOWS NEEDS YOUR PERMISSION TO CONTINUE
>> all programs WINDOWS NEEDS YOUR PERMISSION TO CONTINUE
can get annoying..

mowgli
24-01-09, 11:58 AM
its not just problems with vista, one other thing that annoys me is that it asks your 'permission' for nearly everything you do!! >> start menu WINDOWS NEEDS YOUR PERMISSION TO CONTINUE
can get annoying..

thats because you have it set as administrator.....and it is a security measure. if you have an administrator user & a 'normal user' then it doesn't do it.. I have 4 users on mine ( the wife & kids)

mowgli
24-01-09, 11:59 AM
vista needs at least 1gb of ram to run iirc, or run WELL. xp ftw - i hate vista

I bought mine from pc world as a ready made package 12months ago & it only had 512mb from new. well I now know better

Andy
24-01-09, 01:03 PM
Thats interesting,mine is sometimes really slow but then othertimes its fine.

phazer
24-01-09, 01:29 PM
As useful and correct your tip is, it'll take more than a stick of RAM to fix the issues with Vista lol Even Microsoft are trying again with Windows 7...

MyNovaSr
24-01-09, 01:32 PM
Mine has 2gb of ram and Vista home premium, runs ok, been tempted to resort back to xp but I do like a lot of the features on Vista. Also when Microsoft drop Xp I wont have to fart about installing vista.

Vista has a feature called hyper boost which means you can use a SD card, for example, as RAM. I have a 1gb SD card which I use as RAM bringing my total to 3gb.

To find hyper boost (if its actually called that) insert a SD card, find it in "my computer", right click on it, go to "properties" and it's in there. You can choose how much of the 1gb (if, like me, your sd card is 1gb). Sorted :thumb:

One of the many reasons I dont resort back.

Welsh Dan
24-01-09, 02:31 PM
can get annoying..

Go into control panel, change it to classic view, go to users and disable user account control.

Mine has 2gb of ram and Vista home premium, runs ok, been tempted to resort back to xp but I do like a lot of the features on Vista. Also when Microsoft drop Xp I wont have to fart about installing vista.

Vista has a feature called hyper boost which means you can use a SD card, for example, as RAM. I have a 1gb SD card which I use as RAM bringing my total to 3gb.

To find hyper boost (if its actually called that) insert a SD card, find it in "my computer", right click on it, go to "properties" and it's in there. You can choose how much of the 1gb (if, like me, your sd card is 1gb). Sorted :thumb:

One of the many reasons I dont resort back.

Actually its called readyboost, and it acts as a cache, not ram. Ram many many times faster than flash memory.

Vista needs about 2GB of ram as a minimum to run, but because of things like superfetch it runs better with even more.

Would anyone want me to post up a vista tweaking guide?

CoolTiger
24-01-09, 02:45 PM
Go into control panel, change it to classic view, go to users and disable user account control.

Actually its called readyboost, and it acts as a cache, not ram. Ram many many times faster than flash memory.

Vista needs about 2GB of ram as a minimum to run, but because of things like superfetch it runs better with even more.

Would anyone want me to post up a vista tweaking guide?

what do you mean about tweeking ? making it run faster ?, i might go to 32bit lets you use all of ur ram

Welsh Dan
24-01-09, 02:51 PM
Yes making it run faster. 32bit and 64bit will see over 4GB since SP1.

FUSION X16XE
24-01-09, 03:30 PM

Ive just installed eBoostr on my xp system, its basically the same concept of readyboost, ill let you know what i think of it.

AlexW
24-01-09, 04:23 PM
My laptop is vista and its running fine with 1GB, not super fast but im awaiting 4gb in the post.

FUSION X16XE
24-01-09, 04:24 PM
How easy is it to upgrade a laptop?

Welsh Dan
24-01-09, 04:38 PM
Really easy usually. Most laptops just have a panel on the back held on by 1-3 screws, remove that, unclip the ram then push the ram into the slot, clip it down and replace the panel. if there is only one slot under the panel the other slot is usually under the keyboard.

FUSION X16XE
24-01-09, 04:43 PM
Sounds easy. What about upgrading the HDD?

Welsh Dan
24-01-09, 04:51 PM
Depends on the laptop, but apart from netbooks and some sony ones, its about a 5 minute job to do the physical swap.

Jack
25-01-09, 07:08 PM
To be fair, Vista is an Operating System that, out the box, is designed for retards. A lot of the complaints about XP were down to it being too "open" and easy for people who didn't know what they were doing to break things, or allow things to be broken - Microsoft therefore designed Vista to be tighter than a nuns youknowwhat (or at least appear to be)

Ash
25-01-09, 08:26 PM
interesting reading.... Im just about to order Vista Ultimate which comes with a Samsung 1TB HHD for free. I thought Vista was alright now SP1 was out?

mowgli
25-01-09, 08:45 PM
techy people please answer this one then:

i am pestered by something that opens a new tab & redirects to another site whenever I am on t'interweb. I have located it in task manager & can easily stop it, but I can't find it in the hard drive & when I start up again, there it is again. at the moment it is called wwwgq.exe, but it will rename again in a few days......

Welsh Dan
25-01-09, 08:49 PM
Download and run a program called process explorer, or:

type msconfig into the start menu and run that, click continue when prompted. Go to the startup section, then under the command column find said executable, and untick it.

It sounds like malware though.

mikey14sr
26-01-09, 01:18 PM
XP SP3 runs best with 2GB of RAM, for Vista 2GB is the minimum really.

I had 4GB, but down to 3 now after donating a stick to the family pc which was running stupidly slow with 90% RAM usage when idle!

32-bit Vista may report 4GB or more of RAM with SP1 installed, but it can still only address 3.25-3.5GB due to the limitations of being 32-bit. 64-bit can address 128GB of RAM.

brainsnova
26-01-09, 01:26 PM
im on vista and just sorted my updates and 51 updates came through lol. im using spyware doctor and avg and its fast and no problems. i think i just installed service pack 1 (sp1).