PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Mountain Bikes into Novas

Griffin
15-12-02, 04:47 PM
Will a mtb without it's wheels on fit in the back of a 3 door nova without having to put the rear seats down, i.e frame and then wheels on top? Looking for my 1st car and like going mtb'ing and wondered whether it would fit in a nova or not? If not, I may have to consider something bigger, e.g astra.

Chris LR
15-12-02, 04:52 PM
I've got a 22" SARACEN, if you take both wheels off (the bike), fold down the rear seats and move the front ones forward, It will only just fit.

Chris

mikeoxford
15-12-02, 05:03 PM
yeah id say you would be pushed to be honnest mate

a smaller bike maybe (child size / junior size.) but my 21" dual suspension saracen wont even go in half way.

i cant have a bike carrier cos of spoilers or whatever, so i cant do that either!

buy a metro! my bike fits in my mums metro LOL

obviously nova all the way like!
:wink:

Chris LR
15-12-02, 05:14 PM
I like to have my bike set-up like my car, so I've only got front suspension on my bike, which is probably why it fits.

Griffin
15-12-02, 05:24 PM
Thanks for that, mines an 18 inch frame but sounds like it would be pushing it and if I went for an SR, the spoiler would get in the way then too meaning i couldn't use a bike rack!! :? :cry: Umm, thats pretty bad then cus I was palnning to use it to go off with a mate and take the bikes. May well have to be an Astra then. Vaux off course, nothing else will do! ;)

What about a 5 door, spose it would be better in that, but not too keen on them style wise!

Thanks for the advice, anymore welcome.

Chris LR
15-12-02, 05:31 PM
5 door Nova? it's the same size.

If your going to take 2 bikes I suggest a Mk3 Astra, or Mk2 if money's an issue.

If it has to be a Nova, get a trailer, lol.

Griffin
15-12-02, 06:02 PM
If your going to take 2 bikes I suggest a Mk3 Astra, or Mk2 if money's an issue.
Well, Mk2 astras seem dirt cheap but insurance seems to be around 1110 - 1300 tpft for a 1.4 LX and people say you shouldn't pay much more on insurance compared to the price of the car.

Mk3's are around a grand decent round here, but insurance is around 1400+ tpft for a 1.4 LS, but I don't want too much in my 1st car. Prefer to gain stuff as I get better ones instead of having all the toys in my 1st one, if that makes sense! :?

Cheese
15-12-02, 06:53 PM
My 15" Dual Slalom bike used to fit in with both wheels off, and then the wheels next to it.. Even enough room to strap it in with the seat belts! :Fade-col: Just ride BMX now and that fits in easily :D

What about getting a nova with split rear seats, that way you can fold half of the seat down, and still fit the bike(s) plus mates in the back??

Ben :)

Chris LR
15-12-02, 08:09 PM
I don't want to go away from the subject but I'll just make this point.

Insurance for young drivers in their own name will be around ?1000+ regardless of car or circumstances. If you have a willing parent/brother/sister I'd ask them nicely if you can use their name.

My personal quote for a 1991 Mk2 Astra 1.4LX was over 2k. Obviously you can't pay it all together, but at around ?175 per month it makes things easier.

Do you need a car to transport bikes, or do you just want one.

Griffin
15-12-02, 09:51 PM
I don't want to go away from the subject but I'll just make this point.

Insurance for young drivers in their own name will be around ?1000+ regardless of car or circumstances. If you have a willing parent/brother/sister I'd ask them nicely if you can use their name.

My personal quote for a 1991 Mk2 Astra 1.4LX was over 2k. Obviously you can't pay it all together, but at around ?175 per month it makes things easier.

Do you need a car to transport bikes, or do you just want one.
I want to go in my own name on insurance. Have got a qute for a 1.4L astra, 1990 H reg on Liverpool Victoria for between ?1100 - ?1250 tpft in my name. For a 1.3SR its around a grand, so not much difference.

Good point about the main purpose of the car. Ideally I'd like something that could take 1 bike, with the rear seats down if necessary but also 2 if my mate went too. I've got a bike rack, but sounds like that won't go on an SR cus of the Spoiler. The bikes ain't essential, but are a point to think about when choosing as it's one of my hobbies.