PDA

View Full Version : nova engine mounts

mitchell141
23-01-09, 05:18 PM
Hi Guys and Girls
just a quick piece of advice if anyone can help, i've just tried to put my x14xe in my nova and it seems to fit on the front mounts ok ie the one from the block and the one from the gear box but the one on the back from the gearbox is missing the mounting point by about 3 inches, the alternator is touching the chassis leg so i'm hoping thats what is holding it back, just wondering if it is true that this engine should sit on the original mounts ? obviously i need to change the alternator but does anyone have any advice on what to get instead or how to move it slightly ?

Paul
24-01-09, 03:25 PM
should go in on the standard mounts mate, the back one can be a bit of a pain to do sometims.

Adam
24-01-09, 04:03 PM
If its missing the mount by that much something is obviously not right.
You are using nova OHC mounts aren't you?

AlexW
24-01-09, 04:25 PM
Wasnt a 1.0 was it?

Does the standard alternator thick belt setup need to be changed?

Rich
24-01-09, 04:32 PM
Make sure your using the nova mounts and not corsa stuff! I tend to get the bolt through the back mount first as is the most annoying one when you dont get alot of movment.

mitchell141
24-01-09, 05:41 PM
the mounts were from a 1.4 8v so i presumed they would be fine, i think its the alternator pulley catching on the chassis leg thats stopping it going back far enough so i'll take the alternator off and give that a go, i've heard a suzuki swift alternator will work as its a lot smaller than the vauxhall one ?

mitchell141
24-01-09, 05:42 PM
thanks for the help aswell guys i've added to all your reps

Rich
24-01-09, 06:01 PM
is it a multi v belt alternator your trying to use? Need to use the single v setup, its alot better for clearance. Also means you have to change your bottom pully as well

mitchell141
24-01-09, 11:41 PM
when you change the bottom pully, do you just use one from an 8v, but from a fuel injected car such as gte /gsi because of the crank sensor ? sorry for what might seem like stupid questions, not great at this but i'm getting there

phazer
25-01-09, 01:28 PM
Yes mate. SRi also has the right bottom pulley.

AlexW
25-01-09, 02:03 PM
So the alternator and bottom pully DO need to be changed? Gay.

Adam
25-01-09, 02:33 PM
Ive seen people using the wide belt stuff, without problems...
But even the single v doesnt give loads of clearance on mine.... So id definently change it to single v.

mitchell141
25-01-09, 08:28 PM
i took the alternator off today and it meets with the rear mount a treat, thanks for your help guys, looks like i better start looking for a new bottome pulley then

craig green
26-01-09, 11:10 AM
I run the single-V belt setup on my 16XE & the belt keeps jumping off at high rpm. I've heard other people suffer this, so I'm going to advise knocking the chassis leg & using the wider multi-V belt setup.

Switching alternators (to Suzuki or micra) will need a custom bracket which will need making with the engine out of the car.

BIGS
26-01-09, 11:14 AM
I cant see why you have to change to a thin belt, im using a muti belt (wide one ) and ive got loads of room between the alternator and chassies leg.

Ive just gone and got a pic to show you mine
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/b17ova/random/newnova015.jpg

mitchell141
26-01-09, 05:33 PM
thanks for the advice craig, and the picture bigs, does seem strange how some clear the chassis and others like mine really do get fowled up, i think i'll just do as craig suggested and go for notching out of the chassis leg i've looked at few of the projects on here and will copy how they have cut it out and weld in a piece with it set further back

AlexW
26-01-09, 06:05 PM
Mine is also touching without the rear mount on. Altho it was fine when the jack was supporting the weight of the engine at the back. If it does hit i plan to just nock the chassis slighly.

Sloth
26-01-09, 07:02 PM
just beat the chassis, so when the smallblock goes pop, a bigblock will go in!