PDA

View Full Version : Scoring on cylinder bores

MK999
23-01-09, 02:38 PM
Halfway through rebuilding my engine I found some scoring down the bores, seems to be worse on 1 end then progresively better across the bores. I realise this doesn't make it the perfect base for a rebuild but am I looking at needing a new block? It's not going to be heavily modified, usual exhaust/intake but I might consider cams sometime in the future.

The scoring isn't that deep but is enough to be able to feel if you run your finger around the bores, it's definitely much deeper than honing etc but smaller than the gap left in a piston ring i'd say, so i'm unsure whether this will cause enough of a negative effect to force me into sourcing a new block.

AlexW
23-01-09, 02:41 PM
What engine? 1.6 right?

MK999
23-01-09, 02:45 PM
yeah 1.6. e16se

AlexW
23-01-09, 02:57 PM
Well IMO, as i know your planning on spending a lot of money on rebuilding it all, why not see if you can find another block?

MK999
23-01-09, 03:02 PM
Not sure i'm planning on spending a lot of money rebuilding it, that's why i was after a site or something for parts, as you say getting a new block would be the best option, but if it's only going to be a negligible difference then it may not be worth it, if it's going to wear into new piston rings and chew the engine up then it definitely will be, but I've not come across the problem before so could use some input.

Also then the problem of finding a new block locally, or getting it delivered at what would probably be a fair expense, or getting a new complete engine, and having parts cluttering up the garage even more. Plus the parents going ape lol

edit: I have been offered a 16v block for <£50 but not sure it would all bolt up to the 8v head etc with no issues, and it would have to be delivered which i'm guessing would be £25+

GRUNT 16V
23-01-09, 03:04 PM
You Will Only Regret It Later If You Dont Replce The Bottem End!!! Matey Been There Done It !!!!!!

MK999
23-01-09, 03:06 PM
Crank etc is fine, cylinder bores are what could be a problem.

AlexW
23-01-09, 04:32 PM
IIRC the 16v Block is the same, pistons are different ofc but if your stripping it anyways....

Wait for confirmation from somone else.

MK999
23-01-09, 04:39 PM
If pistons are different then chances are the bores are a different size though, I'm not sure if they retained the block to develop the 16v from or if it's a completely different design.

AlexW
23-01-09, 07:13 PM
I think the bores are the same size, but the pistons would be different for the extra valves and different compression.

mowgli
23-01-09, 10:02 PM
surely the bores only need honing before reringing