PDA

View Full Version : engine fult c20xe

maxonova
22-01-09, 11:09 PM
hi to all. i dont know if anyone can help me or has had the same problem as i have, i am not mechanicaly minded but do have a good understanding of engines but unable to source the problem myself. i have recently had a new clutch fitted. i took the car to the garage and the only problems i had was clutch (obviously)and the coolent light on (broke the conector so bodged it for now) when i went to collect the car they advised me that it needed oil (no indication on dashboard prior to goin in for clutch, ie sudden flicering of oil light due to fast acceleration and lack of oil) i notice that the oil light was on once i got in the car, i started to drive the car back and it felt slugish and sounded like the bottom end was a bit cluncky, within 10 minuets of leaving the garage i had filled it up with oil, i notice that there was a realy loud nockin noice comin from under the rocker cover, i let the oil settle for 30 minuets and started the car up again to here the noice had worsend and the oil light remaind on, i checked the dipstick and it read full, was on my way back to the garage (only able to rev the car to 3500rpm wouldent give any more) to get them to look at it and make a complaint but the engine gave in, the management light came on and the car instantly locked up for about a second then started to role. i switch it off after a couple of minuets turned back on to hear a grinding noice at the bottom end, if anyone has heard of this or has whitnessed it first hand could they please point me in the right direction or let me know what the problem is. (i have never heard of redtops doin this before neither have anyone else i know).

many thanks max.

Paul
23-01-09, 12:31 PM
Think the term is the bottom end being fooked.

More fool you for taking it away from a garage, knowing full well it needed oil!

nova_saloon
23-01-09, 12:51 PM
poor things gunna need a little bottom end rebuild nd maybe top end if you heard knockings!
Goodluck with it mate!

meritlover
23-01-09, 12:56 PM
your engines toast.

i presume the garage took it out for a statutory 'thorough test drive' up a back road somewhere and gave you it back ruined.

why were you waiting for a dash gauge/light to warn you of oil level? thats what the dipsticks for. by the time the pressure light comes on, its too late and the damage is done.

Jack
23-01-09, 01:13 PM
Oops, goosed engine. TBH with the price of XE's you'd probably just find it easier/cheaper to buy a replacement...

How long did you run it on no oil? Mine managed a good mile on zero lube and still didn't blow up; mind you, that engine has resisted everything - zero servicing, constant abuse, a year standing in an exposed farm barn, and the touch of Lee lol

[edit] BTW - "it needs some oil" is garage talk for "we've drained all the oil out so you have to buy some from us (read: rebuy the oil we drained out) before driving it anywhere"... i.e. we want more of your money lol

Sloth
23-01-09, 03:24 PM
oh dear, i feel for ya bud. i had a mate do that to me, sold me an engine, after i heard it run, he ran it low of oil, and took it out, i fitted it and it had more bangs than a $10 whore!!!! i'd take the lump out, and look at ya crank bearings, you may be lucky and get away with shells and a rebuild. but check everything!!

dougie_boi
23-01-09, 07:37 PM
i would question the fact with the garage that the car was running fine and had oil in it when it was took in there and now all of a sudden you have picked it up been no oil in it and burst it on the way home due to having no egine oil as you dont drain engine oil when doing a cluch

maxonova
23-01-09, 07:40 PM
what i cant get my head around is when we checked the oil once back at home the levels were spot on. i know i havent blown the head because the water hasnot been contaminated by oil, the cam belt is still intacked and looking at the tappets and every thing else(oil level on dipstick) it looks spot on, hopefully it is just the bottom end i need to replace.

dougie_boi
23-01-09, 07:44 PM
oil pump failure could bring the light on due to it failing and then lack of oil pressure or maybe your pick up strainer in your sump blocked

maxonova
23-01-09, 08:34 PM
i suppose its a posiblity, ill have to have a look at the weekend wen i got some time

maxonova
23-01-09, 08:38 PM
OK second question? anyone got a c20xe for sale? without having to go through all the posts

Paul
24-01-09, 03:23 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/search.php?searchid=665344

maxonova
24-01-09, 10:12 PM
tryed the link doesent work.

Paul
25-01-09, 01:06 PM
Sorry go to the search function, press advance search, select parts for sale forum, then type in C20XE or redtop etc and press search.

Nobby
25-01-09, 04:57 PM
gutted for you mate but seems high possibility of being oil pump failure, just chuck a new c20xe in and on your way, theres loads for sale in the parts section! ;)

maxonova
25-01-09, 06:36 PM
i wish it was as easy as chuck a new one in but its a little bit harder to do in a calibra than a nova or corsa

Rich
25-01-09, 07:11 PM
Pressure releif vavle may had been stuck. Whip the bolt out and see if the bit inside is seized. Should slide nicley, if it doesnt theres your problem. Free if up and get some lube on it, may be lucky but sounds like some damage is already done.

ps. its a 22mm (i think?) and its on the front of the engine down on the oil pump. A spring will come out and you will have a little metal cap inside it which should move freely

Nobby
25-01-09, 07:11 PM
i wish it was as easy as chuck a new one in but its a little bit harder to do in a calibra than a nova or corsa

pmsl id say its alot easier mate!! think how much extra room you have!!
ive just put an xe into my cav from a 1.8 8v piece of piss mechanical wise just the wiring that plays me up lol

i take mine out from the bottom easier for me if theres a not alot of you -

battery off
fuel lines off
pas pipes off
exhaust manifold off with exhaust
disconnect loom
water pipes off

the on axle stands
shafts out of hub
gear linkage
subframe off

probably forgot something but hey its a start!!

OUT SHE COMES LOL:thumb:

maxonova
25-01-09, 07:58 PM
little bit easier when you have a garage, i dont so the problems role on. lol