PDA

View Full Version : mk1 cav

brucer
22-01-09, 10:13 PM
hi all,ive got the oppertunity to buy a 1977 mk1 cavalier 4 door off a friend of mine.im thinking of buying it for a pimpin summer car while i mess around with the nova some more.its currently got a 1.9 8v cih motor in it but id be looking to change that for something with more power.ive trawled google and migweb for any links that may be usefull but so far nothings come up.

the obvious route would be an xe:D but what gearbox would i use? omega/carlton? ive never looked into RWD vaux boxes before

apparently underneigth there just like a manta which would help for suspension and brake upgrades.i assume engine mounts would need to be fabricated to get the engine to sit correctly.

im really just looking to get it through an mot and have more power to get some sideways action.lol.has anybody had any experience with these before and if so let me know how you tackled the matter.

any light that can be shed on the subject would be appreciated.:thumb:

Sloth
22-01-09, 10:27 PM
herro, im ya new best friend lol. i have one thats getting a resto, and a saab 2.3 turbo lump atm, ask me anything. btw how much is it? if ya dont mind me asking!

L14MNP
22-01-09, 10:29 PM
The only thing of importance right now is...

Rear window dimensions please or GTFO lol

Nice one though childsgte! Do it :)

brucer
22-01-09, 10:33 PM
herro, im ya new best friend lol. i have one thats getting a resto, and a saab 2.3 turbo lump atm, ask me anything. btw how much is it? if ya dont mind me asking!

well he hasnt settled on how much he wants for it bt im sure(or hoping) its about 200 or less.

you got any pics of yours?how easy was it to fit that motor and what was it like to wire in?

Sloth
22-01-09, 10:43 PM
mate i paid £450 and mine was rotten, get it asap. the lumps not in yet, as the cars getting dipped next week. its easy to wire up, and easy to fit aswell. heres my wip, http://www.retrocarclub.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=8732

and look at christians, his is goregious!
http://www.retrocarclub.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=6990

brucer
22-01-09, 10:52 PM
nice one,think ill be tuning into that site more often.

his does look sweet to be fair.

Sloth
22-01-09, 10:58 PM
yeah, its even better in the metal! if ya need any more info just ask! btw, the manta club, accept cavs but dont give advice to non paying members...

brucer
22-01-09, 11:00 PM
ok im sure ill have tons of questions if i decide to buy it.

thats fair enough.lol

cheers

gmopeldealersport
22-01-09, 11:09 PM
to put a xe into cav/manta you will need 1.8 engine mounts 1.8 getrag gearbox out of manta/ cav use a cav turbo clutch with your old realese bearing .you will also have to get a spigot bearing for flywheel sbd can supply this .deppending whether u are going to use dizzy or coil pack if u use dizzy u will have to take heater box out.also need 1.8 sump. then wire and plumb in

Sloth
22-01-09, 11:12 PM
yip, as he said. if ya use a dizzy setup ya need a polo mk2 or 3 heater setup, it gives you the room, and a 2" notch vcut out of the bulkhead lip.

brucer
23-01-09, 07:10 PM
ok cool

mowgli
23-01-09, 09:42 PM
or you get a 2.4 out of a frontera, as it is a cih motor & it will fit straight in... the best thing people do with the mk1 cav/ascona/manta is fit the carlton/senator straight 6 engine in. it fits quite easily & has big power in std form.

Sloth
23-01-09, 09:45 PM
yeah and fooks the handling. and theyre crap when the chains snap

amggsi
23-01-09, 09:49 PM
or you get a 2.4 out of a frontera, as it is a cih motor & it will fit straight in... the best thing people do with the mk1 cav/ascona/manta is fit the carlton/senator straight 6 engine in. it fits quite easily & has big power in std form.

You need the injection set up from a mark 1 2.2 Carlton though as the 2.4 won't fit under the bonnet!!!lol

Or you could go totally mad and do this:

http://www.opel-kadett-c.de/www.opel-kadett-c.de/kadett/enzocoupe/enbildergalerie5.html

lynd
31-01-09, 04:05 PM
sounds tidy pal streetsleeper would be fun, my Dad had both an orange gl in 1977 and a met green gl in 1980 both brand new great cars