PDA

View Full Version : urgent elecrical help

Euan
14-12-02, 05:18 PM
hi, just installed a gsi alternator in ma 1.3 sr cus the volt meter (on dash) dipped whenever i used something elecrical. also sometimes if you put on full beam or dippd lights the car just cuts out and if the stereo is played then it wont start afterwards (battery drained) now i still have the same problem with new (scrap) alternator. any suggestions PLEASE!!!

whitey
14-12-02, 05:22 PM
Got the same problem mate, you could do with a new battery really but good ones aint cheap!!!

If you got some SERIOUS ICE and the headlights flash whilst the stereo is up and the engine is running, then a power cap will sort that out!

jim sri
14-12-02, 05:29 PM
ya sure the alternator belt is tight enuf?
should be maximum of about 1cm slack, no more or the alternator wont be charging battery properly.
:twisted:

Euan
14-12-02, 05:52 PM
just got a new battery not a great 1 but it does.

i'm only really running an amp and sub/6x9's but it aint linked up just now

i'll check the belt tension

cheers

mikeoxford
14-12-02, 09:28 PM
was a post on nova_owners egroup recently about batteries, cant quite remember all the exact details.

but basically a battery is never 100% charged in a car because it always has something taking power away from it.

goto www.topbuzz.co.uk there is a battery information guide or page on there somewhere.

Dicko
15-12-02, 09:27 AM
get your battery tested and make sure the earth leads are all ok!!

end of gearbox onto chassis is most common for wear and cuasing the problems you refer to
also the earth from the battery to the bulkhead

try runing a jump lead from the -ve on batery any metal part of the engine!!