PDA

View Full Version : prooving security.

let_nova
21-01-09, 05:43 PM
when i bought my car the toad alarm was in it. its got immobiliser etc. but i have no reciept? can this be a major problem.?:wtf:

draper
21-01-09, 05:45 PM
you need a certificate to say it was installed by a thatchman approved company if you want a premium reduction, a local firm should be able to check it over and write you 1 out for 1/2hours labour charge

let_nova
21-01-09, 05:49 PM
am funkd then i live in the middle of knowere and theres not a thatcham approverd place nearby!

draper
21-01-09, 05:58 PM
mobile fitter should be able to help

brainsnova
21-01-09, 06:05 PM
ive never been asked for a certifiate when i got my insurance deductions. I reckon they will need produced in the event of a claim or i have a distictive sound to my voice when telling the truth lol

AlexW
21-01-09, 06:24 PM
Ofc when i fit alarms i do give certificates but ive never been asked for one by insurance companys on my own cars.

Most alarms dont make much if any differance to the price.

draper
21-01-09, 06:27 PM
Ofc when i fit alarms i do give certificates but ive never been asked for one by insurance companys on my own cars.

Most alarms dont make much if any differance to the price.

er, CAT1 thatchmans do or can mean the difference between getting a quote or not

Spudly
21-01-09, 06:33 PM
Exactly, SOME companies support the thatcham discount scheme, whereas you receive discounted insurance for having a cat1 system fitted by a qualified installer.

For this you will receive a certificate stating the fitter date and registration of vehicle it was fitted to, ive known mates have to send copies to the insurance co as a matter of course but i was told by HIC on my old nova that they would only require the certificate in the event of a claim!

Tbh the only things needed to make an alarm cat1, are all of the power and immobilisation wires must be black and it must be fitted by a qualified installer!

AlexW
21-01-09, 07:38 PM
From my experiance it depends on the area, and what alarm.

As long as you can get the cert as spud said your fine.

Jack
21-01-09, 08:29 PM
er, CAT1 thatchmans do or can mean the difference between getting a quote or not
Listen to damper, he speak truth. Some insurance companies REQUIRE you to have thatcham approved security for some cars, I really don't think anyone will be bothered about a (at best) group 11 Nova though (a group 18 GT4 is different, some companies have refused to quote me as my immob isn't thatcham approved lol)

As said you will need a certificate of installation from a pro fitter, some local or mobile places may be able to supply this if you pay them to inspect the installation. Have a look in yellow pages and ring a few companies for advice.

If the insurance company hasn't asked you for a certificate, they've probably not got it recorded as a thatcham approved alarm. DIY fit probably won't reduce your premium (in some cases it may increase it - noobs fiddling with wires = fire hazard lol)

skyinsurance
22-01-09, 09:39 AM
when i bought my car the toad alarm was in it. its got immobiliser etc. but i have no reciept? can this be a major problem.?:wtf:

Do you insure with Sky ? If so and you're struggling with this, drop me a PM with your full name and postcode and I can give you another solution :thumb:

Ollie