PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 question as per usual...

matt_vaughan
20-01-09, 07:30 PM
Right-e-o.

Dont know if anyone's thought of this before so I'll go on.

I'm not exactly clued up on the SPI engines so you'll have to help me out here.

1.2 carb engine has different dizzy drive to most other Nova engines, however, using a 1.2 SPI cam carrier and dizzy could enable using GTE/GSI/SRI cam, correct?
This would require the distributors to be essentially the same between the SPI and the Carb models.

I recall there's something vitally different but cant for the life of me think what it is.

Adam
20-01-09, 07:33 PM
Yes, spi dizzy drive is same as gte/gsi/sri

matt_vaughan
20-01-09, 07:42 PM
Oh I know that, so how about an SPI dizzy on a carb engine? I can see that as being the only downfall should there be a problem there?

Im not in a technological state tonight so you may have to ignore obvious questions :D

Also, some may think that a GSI/GTE cam may be over the top for a 1.2 but there will be bike carbs and a four branch involved too :D

AlexW
20-01-09, 07:58 PM
The SPI dizzy timing is controled by the ECU.

matt_vaughan
20-01-09, 08:01 PM
"Brain Clicks"

Cant believe I didnt realise that before. Well there goes that idea.

AlexW
20-01-09, 08:11 PM
Not sure if a 1.4 SR dizzy is pin drive? (i cant remember) I know 1.3 dizzys are slot drive.

If the 1.4 item fits it would be ideal.

matt_vaughan
20-01-09, 08:13 PM
1.3 dizzys have the same drive as a 1.2. (apparently 1.3 cam has 5hp boost over 1.2 cam on 1200 engine).

IIRC all other drives are different.

nova ian
20-01-09, 08:16 PM
The SPI dizzy timing is controled by the ECU.

Not completely as I had to time up my ignition timing using a timing gun and advancing/retarding the dizzy.

Also an SPI dizzy can be used on a 1.2 carb engine but you have to cut a bit off the end of the centre pin on the dizzy as its too long for the dizzy to sit flush

matt_vaughan
20-01-09, 09:28 PM
Right, so let me get this straight.

The only problem I have is gettin the dizzy to fire at the correct time. Any way the dizzy could be controlled in the normal carb manor?

Or modify the carb dizzy so it has the SPI drive? just a small part/shaft?