PDA

View Full Version : Paying to SORN?

L14MNP
20-01-09, 02:17 PM
Was told this earlier by my mother. It was only a matter of time. *******s.

Any truth in it? Also I'd love to know what we're paying the money for as the car will be having zero affect on the environment/won't contribute to destroying roads/congestion etc etc.

ROAWR :(

Talon
20-01-09, 02:19 PM
ive just sorned my car! at no charge

Simon 1867
20-01-09, 02:19 PM
You dont have to pay my friend, still free

hc coupe
20-01-09, 02:20 PM
Hmm, not sure they would but lets face it, they'll give anything a shot . End upsaying its an admin charge or some ****

L14MNP
20-01-09, 02:21 PM
No it's something that's coming. Another stealth tax if you will.

Sorry if I worded it like a retard - was on phone lol

Yeah It will be 5 years I've had a car SORN this July/August time. It angers me if this is something they are bringing in though.

In a few other countries they already have to pay not to use their cars :S So we've been lucky so far with the crazy dictatorship we are forced to live in.

Southie
20-01-09, 02:25 PM
If you have not say been on the road two months ago, and now you come to sorn it, then they will probably charge you for the months "they" thought you weren't using it.

Other than that it is free.

Jack
20-01-09, 02:34 PM
Do they charge to remove a scrap marker off a car?

draper
20-01-09, 02:37 PM

i didnt think you could do that ? i always thought once it was down as scrapped that it wasnt allowed back on the road ever ?

L14MNP
20-01-09, 03:03 PM
You can do that, ask XxXxXXXXXxxn0varXXxXXxxxXX

Not sure if they charge, if they did it would probably only be 20/30 quid max. I know you can only remove the marker on certain cars. Probably at their discretion? IIRC it involves having a copper confirm it's ID also.

Any future SORN fee dodging gen? lol

NOVABIKECARBED, I understand that mate. I'm an expert in SORNing the same car lol :(

Guess we will just have to wait and see.

draper
20-01-09, 03:13 PM
get it built then it wont need sorning :p

Southie
20-01-09, 03:15 PM
NOVABIKECARBED, I understand that mate. I'm an expert in SORNing the same car lol :(
After 5 years the dust must be worth something by now lol

L14MNP
20-01-09, 03:16 PM
haha not you too!

Yeah then i will have room for another Nova :D Good plan mate lol

L14MNP
20-01-09, 03:18 PM
After 5 years the dust must be worth something by now lol

lol Car cover FTW
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/eurojdmp11/Primera/PICT0276.jpg?t=1232464661
The only dust tends to come from the filler in the engine bay lol

draper
20-01-09, 03:19 PM
more pics please

L14MNP
20-01-09, 03:24 PM
Dude I only have about 3 lol You can tell how old they are as my Nova's in one of them lol
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/eurojdmp11/Primera/DSC00082.jpg?t=1232464963
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/eurojdmp11/Primera/p11backroad-1.jpg?t=1232465055
This one says it all lol
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/eurojdmp11/Primera/motivator9431439.jpg?t=1232465029
The car's in bits again now lol

All the unique ideas/rare parts aren't anymore lol As said I don't really care about it anymore, but will put back together anyway obviously. Needless to say the ghey **** end won't be seeing the road!

draper
20-01-09, 03:25 PM
lmao

L14MNP
20-01-09, 03:30 PM
lol more up to date for you. That's about 4 months ago maybe more. The last time I done anything to it lol
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/eurojdmp11/DSC07823.jpg?t=1232465359

Southie
20-01-09, 03:33 PM
How much have you spent on it and never used it. (Madness under dust cover). lol

L14MNP
20-01-09, 03:40 PM
ITRO 20 grand mate - young/stupid I know I know :( I have a nice brand new interior/engine/headlights/coilovers/four pots etc so I know where a lot of the money went, just wish I could have it back lol

For being a 1998 car it has lived in the garage for almost 5 years lol. When it was painted a couple of years ago I had every intention of putting it in the road, hence building it up, but the paint job was crap. It flakes off like the car hasn't even been keyed up. I have no confidence in the painter to repair it so I have just left it - I got a few other things done at same time so don't feel too hard done by. I took the opportunity to do a few more things before it is repainted (somewhere decent!) wire tuck, adjustable rear beam etc.

If it was a popular car (There's something to be said for sticking with VX/Ford lol) I'd break it and sell the bits in a flash as long as I could have my private plate back off it.

Southie
20-01-09, 03:46 PM
ITRO 20 grand mate - young/stupid I know I know :( I have a nice brand new interior/engine/headlights/coilovers/four pots etc so I know where a lot of the money went, just wish I could have it back lol

For being a 1998 car it has lived in the garage for almost 5 years lol. When it was painted a couple of years ago I had every intention of putting it in the road, hence building it up, but the paint job was crap. It flakes off like the car hasn't even been keyed up. I have no confidence in the painter to repair it so I have just left it - I got a few other things done at same time so don't feel too hard done by. I took the opportunity to do a few more things before it is repainted (somewhere decent!) wire tuck, adjustable rear beam etc.

If it was a popular car (There's something to be said for sticking with VX/Ford lol) I'd break it and sell the bits in a flash as long as I could have my private plate back off it.

:eek::eek::eek: Money down the pan (as with all cars) not to worry, it must still all be in good condition ey.

So get the spraying done again and get it finished and enjoy it :confused:

L14MNP
20-01-09, 03:53 PM
I should have went with the fast road/BTCC rep idea I first had :(

Yeah it's mint, all underseal removed and not a spot of surface rust anywhere on the shell now. I am getting a mate of a mate who paints for Thatcham to sort it for me mate, whenever I can be bothered :S. It even got done the wrong colour at the body shop!

Cheers dude. i do plan to use it for a bit then get it sold and buy a big boys Nissan :)

Southie
20-01-09, 03:57 PM
One of these :D

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p379/SOUTHIE01/Nissan_Micra_Barbie_Car.jpg

L14MNP
20-01-09, 04:06 PM
lol Close
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00228/Nissan_228963a.jpg

Southie
20-01-09, 04:08 PM
lol +1 rep

Spudly
20-01-09, 04:13 PM

Nope, they just plain dont let you do it as a mate of mine (general chancer on here) had to scrap a mint shell that he had just finished welding up as it had somehow been marked as scrapped even though he had th V5 with the shell, he argued with the dvla for about three months before eventually giving in:cry:

draper
20-01-09, 04:15 PM
Nope, they just plain dont let you do it as a mate of mine (general chancer on here) had to scrap a mint shell that he had just finished welding up as it had somehow been marked as scrapped even though he had th V5 with the shell, he argued with the dvla for about three months before eventually giving in:cry:

if that was me idof bought another nova and used that ID

Spudly
20-01-09, 04:21 PM
Yeah but its kind of not very legal though and the feds round here love stopping you and searching everywhere especially if youre in a nova so it pays to be 101% legit round here:thumb:

L14MNP
20-01-09, 04:33 PM
+1 Draper!

Aye Spud, it would have been fine though. it's not the sort of thing the 5-0 can spot. Anyway if you stopped hanging around in car parks at unhealthy hours you wouldn't get your collar felt lol

http://static-p3.fotolia.com/jpg/00/04/97/52/400_F_4975205_OocT1xMl3o7W7mxZFquV3MI2QLZI2jZH.jpg
FTW

draper
20-01-09, 04:43 PM
Yeah but its kind of not very legal though and the feds round here love stopping you and searching everywhere especially if youre in a nova so it pays to be 101% legit round here:thumb:

if doen properly its impossible to spot ;)

L14MNP
20-01-09, 04:45 PM
Aye /\ and IMO there's nothing wrong with it either lol

Jack
20-01-09, 05:07 PM
Dave un-scrapped his white car.

Spudly
20-01-09, 05:10 PM
Anyway if you stopped hanging around in car parks at unhealthy hours you wouldn't get your collar felt lol

How rude ya cheeky beggar i dont hang around carparks i hide in the chat room with you so ner ner...

Really jack when was that, as the one im referring to was only a few months back and they told him it was impossible to un-scrap a car!

Jack
20-01-09, 05:12 PM
Not that long ago, probably a year or two. I don't think he had any hassle with it either.

Spudly
20-01-09, 05:14 PM
They may have changed it then as they like to do stuffs to piss us off more, hence this thread, :tard:

Im not 100% on the facts but i know he wanted to keep it and was kicking off due to the fact he had the V5 so it shouldnt have had a scrap marker on it but he lost and wasnt allowed!

Jack
20-01-09, 05:23 PM
http://www.wrecks2riches.co.uk/2008/03/vehicle-identity-check-vic-required-for.html

Lol @ the dodgy nigerian sounding exporter on that page lol

Andy
20-01-09, 06:11 PM
What spud was saying was that the car had been given a Certificate of Destruction,but the said car had NEVER been near the scrappers.Iirc the logbook got took accidently.Dvla been the useless w@nkers they are didnt want to know,they said once a car has a C.O.D it can NEVER legally return to the road.The car is now cubed

philly
21-01-09, 09:40 AM
just a quick reference to the title subject but i heard it on the radio that there bringing in a law to say even cars that are SORNed are going to have to bet insured.

making it illegal to keep an uninsured car to help against drivers with no insurance or something like that.

Ste L
21-01-09, 10:04 AM
just a quick reference to the title subject but i heard it on the radio that there bringing in a law to say even cars that are SORNed are going to have to bet insured.

making it illegal to keep an uninsured car to help against drivers with no insurance or something like that.

New rules on insuring vehicles have been set out that will make life much harder for those who own taxed vehicles without insurance.

Road Safety Minister Jim Fitzpatrick today announced that it will become an offence to keep an uninsured vehicle. Current law only punishes people for driving an uninsured vehicle, meaning that people can only be caught on the road.

These new regulations will follow existing rules on road tax in making it possible to identify uninsured vehicles using databases from the DVLA and the insurance industry.

Cars identified as uninsured will be flagged up, and a warning letter sent to the car's registered keeper. Failure to respond to the warning letter will result in a £100 fine, and failing that the owner could find their car seized and crushed.

Around 2 million motorists are estimated to drive around uninsured (6.5% of all motorists in the UK), and these drivers are said to add approximately £30 per year to all of our insurance premiums.

Mr Fitzpatrick said: 'The selfish minority of drivers who refuse to insure their cars push up premiums for other motorists and kill or injure thousands of people each year.'

The new regulation does not affect cars with Statutory Off Road Notices (SORN).

;)

Jack
21-01-09, 10:39 AM
I can see insurance companies using this as an excuse to carry on with their automatic renewals thing.

Andy
21-01-09, 10:44 AM
Fukkin w@nkers,just another "stealth tax" from our garbage government.What about people who are restoring cars? Its just a complete joke.I hate this country more and more each day.When is it going to end/whats next? Pay as you breathe???
Its time people made a stance against these retards who,since 1997 have absolutely destroyed this country.

draper
21-01-09, 10:46 AM
andy calm down lol

it doesnt affect cars that are SORN'd

AlexW
21-01-09, 10:51 AM
Hmm, could be intersting.....

Seems like the dvla etc have used up all there savings:roll:

Jack
21-01-09, 10:55 AM
Fukkin w@nkers,just another "stealth tax" from our garbage government.What about people who are restoring cars? Its just a complete joke.I hate this country more and more each day.When is it going to end/whats next? Pay as you breathe???
Its time people made a stance against these retards who,since 1997 have absolutely destroyed this country.
FLOL Andy for PM :D

The government are spooging money at the banks (instead of saying "told you so" and letting them sort out their own mess), so need to reclaim it somewhere.

I would be extremely surprised it Brown makes it into another term as PM (i'll eat my hat if he does). Labour will no doubt get booted so far out of government they'll be having afternoon tea with the penguins. Which is a shame, as the conservatives will be no better... is there any public services left for them to sell? lol

BNP ftw lol

dj_wudgey
21-01-09, 10:59 AM

i agree with you dude this is a complete load off boll*cks this so im going to have to insure my gte and sr to have them sat there!!! This country is run by a bunch off w*nkers!!!! not a f*cking clue on what there doing what about people with no jobs that have taken their cars off the road so they dont have to pay insurance!! what a f*cking joke!!!!

edit i just read the bit properly it wont affect sorned cars but ones with tax have to be insured its still fooking stupid i think!!

this country is a f*cking joke!!!

Jack
21-01-09, 11:04 AM
i agree with you dude this is a complete load off boll*cks this so im going to have to insure my gte and sr to have them sat there!!! This country is run by a bunch off w*nkers!!!! not a f*cking clue on what there doing what about people with no jobs that have taken their cars off the road so they dont have to pay insurance!! what a f*cking joke!!!!

The new regulation does not affect cars with Statutory Off Road Notices (SORN).
:thumb:

if you car is currently taxed, and you decide to take it off road to cancel and save on insurance, you'll also get a tax rebate when you SORN it.

dj_wudgey
21-01-09, 11:12 AM
:thumb:

if you car is currently taxed, and you decide to take it off road to cancel and save on insurance, you'll also get a tax rebate when you SORN it.

my sr is insured but sorned for winter any way so i wont have a problem with that car. i was abit worried as my gte is sorned aswell but not insured untill i read that thing properly lol at least the law wont affect us too badly!!

MK999
21-01-09, 12:28 PM
What about if you're selling a car with tax and test, have to insure it to have it sat on your drive with a for sale sign on it, just something else to fine people over imo :( Soon you're gonna need a degree in law to get away with your wallet whenever you're pulled over (or have a copper knock on the door in this case)

L14MNP
21-01-09, 01:23 PM
/\ As above, it still affects us. No need for it :(