PDA

View Full Version : Kid lies his way out of a speeding fine

Jack
20-01-09, 12:23 PM
"I'm not fast enough guv, honest" (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4290679/Speed-case-dropped-after-driver-proves-old-car-wont-reach-98mph.html)

Erm, no offence but unless thats in real pap condition, the specs on a 1.3 Civic say top speed 105-6mph (75bhp). I know civics are ****e, but I can't see it losing 20mph off top end in 14 years?

I think the courts had the proverbial wool pulled well over their eyes there lol

Shaun_O'Donnell
20-01-09, 12:27 PM
130k on the clock, may be telling the truth after all the vtec didn't kick in....yo.

BIGS
20-01-09, 12:30 PM
he had no 5th gear lol

Mike-Gsi
20-01-09, 12:31 PM
lol What sort of chump spends £1,200 when he could have got away with 3 points and £60 fine :roll:

Shaun_O'Donnell
20-01-09, 12:33 PM
lol What sort of chump spends £1,200 when he could have got away with 3 points and £60 fine :roll:

He was facing a possible ban if he was prosecuted.

BIGS
20-01-09, 12:33 PM
depends tho. at the speed he got "caught" he would got band. so if he needs to drive for his job its worth it

Mike-Gsi
20-01-09, 12:41 PM
Oh, i got caught doing 96 the other month and got 3 points and £60 fine!
looks like i got off lightly. Not that im proud to say it.

Shaun_O'Donnell
20-01-09, 12:43 PM
Oh, i got caught doing 96 the other month and got 3 points and £60 fine!
looks like i got off lightly. Not that im proud to say it.

He may have already had points on his licence. My first (and last) offence was 90.11mph on a motorway, 3 points & £60 fine.

Mike-Gsi
20-01-09, 01:00 PM
True, maybe i should look into getting a 1.0 Nova lol

Shaun_O'Donnell
20-01-09, 01:07 PM
True, maybe i should look into getting a 1.0 Nova lol

That wasn't in a 1.0 Nova though, and the Traffic Cops were being generous that day;)

George g
20-01-09, 01:13 PM
to be fair to him he proved his car couldn't do the speed alledged, so they couldn't prosecute.

so what if he put a bung in the inlet (possibly? but probably not...) to restrict the engine...

Mike-Gsi
20-01-09, 01:21 PM
That wasn't in a 1.0 Nova though, and the Traffic Cops were being generous that day;)

lol i didnt mean when you got caught sorry, i was meaning that if we all drove 1.0 Nova's we could do the same (Prove that they "Cant" speed) lol

Shaun_O'Donnell
20-01-09, 01:25 PM
lol i didnt mean when you got caught sorry, i was meaning that if we all drove 1.0 Nova's we could do the same (Prove that they "Cant" speed) lol

It'll exceed the speed limit, but only just :p lol

Mike-Gsi
20-01-09, 01:51 PM
Actually my 1.2 spi quite impressed me, the clocks read 117 so it was probably doing about 105 lol

She kept on going, i bought it with 97K sold it with 152K for £50 more than i bought it :) The only thing that broke on it was a cam follower :D

Lauren
20-01-09, 01:52 PM
Fair play to the guy, even if he was lying, he did well. lol

Jack
20-01-09, 01:57 PM
he had no 5th gear lol
He did, but top speed was 4mph LESS than in 4th. Hence why I smell b/s.

Either that or he just ran out of road to test it on, hence the lower speed on the "test".

Dan, he's from round your way. Go find him and race him lol

Sloth
20-01-09, 02:08 PM
ahhh, rj, some jap crap has a overdrive fifth, so it will be slower in that gear. although from experience i managed 112mph in that model civic........

well done to the guy, but surely this opens a can of worms for the speed camera saftey partnerships? i mean, we all drive nova's, which we all know struggle to get to 80mph on a good day with a tail wind, so anyone caught doing 100mhp say in their 1.0 spin would be smart to use that guys defense*.

(*not valid if you have an xe or a v6...)

L14MNP
20-01-09, 02:15 PM
I've thought about this before, if in a similar situation. Change your gearbox so it cripples your top end or something similar.

Fair play to the lad! :thumb:

Jack
20-01-09, 02:45 PM
Even with an overdrive he'd still be able to attain a higher speed, unless it was malfunctioning at the time - in which case his top speed would be the same as 4th (I've had first had experience of dodgy overdrive units, crappy british leyland lol)

Change your gearbox so it cripples your top end or something similar.
Exactly.

He sold the car, then after 6 months or whatever bought it back, then performed the "test". Even if he knowingly didn't change the gearbox, whats to say the owner that had it in the meantime didn't? And the box could have been in a state of disrepair at the time of the "test"?

TBH the court that let him off with such a lame defence should get shot. Fair play if he'd had the testing done straight away in the same conditions (stronger headwind on the "test" maybe?) on the same stretch of road and etc, but that won't happen.

Sloth
20-01-09, 02:53 PM
rj, theres some things you should never admit too....
british leyland......
tut, tut!

L14MNP
20-01-09, 03:08 PM
BL FTW lol

Jack, I don't have the kind of luck to get away with it even if I did think up a great way to affect the cars top speed. As you said, he sold it and could claim to know nothing of it's adventures during that 6 month period, perfect time for the new owner to go changing things lol. Am I the only one that finds it strange that it was sold locally to a mate too? I reckon it was sold as soon as he knew what he'd done and then he hatched the plan.

As said though, fair play. Not many courts that would let that go. It's funny if he doesn't get reimbursed though as he is out of pocket something like 1200 quid. Surely that's more of an inconvenience than 6 points and a couple of hundred quid fine? Meh.

mayhem
20-01-09, 03:09 PM
He did, but top speed was 4mph LESS than in 4th. Hence why I smell b/s.

Either that or he just ran out of road to test it on, hence the lower speed on the "test".

Dan, he's from round your way. Go find him and race him lol

never driven a c12nz nova? mine did 175 km/h in 4th, and dropped back to 160 km/h in 5th gear.

my mate "got away" with a simuler case..

he has a manta with a 3.6 irmscher engine, and the police laserd him at about 190 km/h where 80 is allowed. cause he didnt believe it, he laserd him again, and cause my mate already hit the brakes, he got a fine for doing about 150km/h where 80 is allowed. still was a 1000euro fine, but if he wanst laserd again, he'd lost his licence and his car.

L14MNP
20-01-09, 03:15 PM
lol @ cop not believing! Lucky mate mayhem!

Aye jack my old 1600 Nissan motor would pull 5mph less in 5th than in 4th when flat out. Strange.

loggyboy
20-01-09, 03:51 PM
Some chap did that a few years ago on his motorbike. got caught doing 130 or sumthing, and proved it could not have done it and won.

kc_08
20-01-09, 04:33 PM
lol!!! quite clever that, yeah my mates bravo 1.4's the same, 100 in 4th puts it into 5th and it just dont accelerate. it slows down, but now its had a good service and a couple other bits its fine. except when he was doing 60 in 5th it wont accelerate much lol but its ok now.. might have to do the same if it happens ;)

Jack
20-01-09, 05:12 PM
rj, theres some things you should never admit too....
british leyland......
tut, tut!
Fcuk that, I'd have another BRG 1850HL Dolomite anyday. Or a Sprint, but I don't think they came in green :(

It's funny if he doesn't get reimbursed though as he is out of pocket something like 1200 quid. Surely that's more of an inconvenience than 6 points and a couple of hundred quid fine? Meh.
Depends, how old was he? Having a ban and large speeding fine on his license could well have cost him more than double that over the years in insurance hikes.

Pistol Pete
20-01-09, 05:42 PM
lol fair play to the guy for getting away with it i guess..

RJ, Sprints do come in BRG, my dad had two of them. Its the only colour for them IMO!!

MyNovaSr
20-01-09, 05:49 PM
Maybe somone should do an artical: "how to de-tune your engine in a hurry" lol

mowgli
20-01-09, 06:19 PM

they do, its called max power mag............

Plug
20-01-09, 06:51 PM
nothing wrong with british leyland my 1st classic mini was a beast

djshaggeh
20-01-09, 06:52 PM
haha mowgli!

Im ashamed to admit it but I have a S reg 1.5 16v VTEC (yo!) Civic Saloon and it struggles to do 90mph.

Prey
20-01-09, 06:53 PM

id say so...

call me cynical but im not sure its very hard to throttle an engine down a bit without it looking like it externally - bollocks to it only being able to do 85....

fait play for getting away with it tho to the bloke :thumb::thumb:

Olly755
20-01-09, 07:49 PM
I think that the very fact that he won in a court of law suggests that the authorities have no proven way of confirming the accuracy of that (or any?) speed cameras.

Could open up a can of worms...

Jack
20-01-09, 09:18 PM
^ the cynic in me did think that maybe the camera hadn't been calibrated that morning or something, so they let him off anyway

RJ, Sprints do come in BRG, my dad had two of them. Its the only colour for them IMO!!
*wibble*

Sloth
20-01-09, 09:51 PM
i'd have a snapdragon yellow austin princess, with a t16 turbo lump...

(must stop thinking dirty bl thoughts...)

dj_wudgey
21-01-09, 11:46 AM
well hes one lucky little b*stard!!

MK999
21-01-09, 12:19 PM
Heard of similar getting thrown out without ANY evidence given at all. A metro got caught doing 480 odd lol They admitted their mistake when he phoned them up and said a metro can't go over 400 mph (his flux capacitor wasn't working that day lol)

mowgli
21-01-09, 12:39 PM
people have been using the law to get away with speeding charges for decades. I was told by a college lecturer in the late eighties about a similar story involving a man with a rover v8 who was being prosecuted for doing 150mph, and a man from Rover turned up at the court & proceded to explain that aerodynamically with the power of the engine, that it was physically impossible for the rover to do anywhere near that speed, so the speed measuring equipment was faulty. the man walked from court with no penalty.

I personally have fought & won a gatso type prosecution.... the thames valley police were actually breaking the law with the wording of the letter they were sending out.