PDA

View Full Version : Engine running rich?

xxspudxx
20-01-09, 10:44 AM
I have an gte E16SE? or what ever the code is, the 8v, took it out today for a run (first time in long time) and started off fine, but then once heated up it was running so rich and wouldnt idle and then just died alltogether. What would make it run rich? Pipe wrong somewhere or is it purely something electrical?

paddy138
20-01-09, 10:59 AM
could be wrong pipe, blocked breather pipe, dirty air filter

GRUNT 16V
20-01-09, 01:10 PM
what makes you think its running rich??

xxspudxx
20-01-09, 01:24 PM
plugs soaking wet, smokey and could just smell it.

dougie_boi
20-01-09, 05:17 PM
try maybe the coolant temp sensor if it thinks its still cold it will run rich or if its got a lambda sensor check its connected up ok or maybe take it out and clean the tip

exmouth_nova
25-01-09, 11:11 PM
try maybe the coolant temp sensor if it thinks its still cold it will run rich or if its got a lambda sensor check its connected up ok or maybe take it out and clean the tip

mowgli
25-01-09, 11:17 PM
mine does the same thing is that sensor the one on the radiator ??????

no. that works the radiator fan........ the sensor is in the end of the head near the dizzy

meritlover
25-01-09, 11:18 PM
the lambda sensor will not affect it at idle.

are all the plugs wet?

check the MAF flap is free to move, all the pipework is connected properly including condition of jubilee clips.

is the ignition timing correct and is it firing properly on all cylinders?

xxspudxx
26-01-09, 07:58 AM
All plugs were wet, MAF Flap was fine but got another one to try, all pipework is fine and it was firing all corectly and running well.

Might be a case of getting it running and taking things off to see if it affects the engine

craig green
26-01-09, 11:28 AM
Spud, does it have an FSE power boost valve?

If so what pressure is it at? Ideally bin it.

GRUNT 16V
26-01-09, 12:40 PM
As Above!!!!!!

craig green
26-01-09, 01:25 PM
I've got a std fuel rail & regulator here if you want/need one to try.

Assume you sorted the inlet pipe? (or sealed it up) I've been ill with food poisoning last week.

xxspudxx
26-01-09, 02:29 PM
its running std fuel rail and regulator and inlet pipe is taped up but if can get hold of another would appreciate it mate.

Didnt try cooking for yourself did you?

craig green
26-01-09, 03:12 PM
Hmmm. Thought you had an FSE for some reason.
Its not got XE injectors or anything daft? Checked cam timing on the marks?

Not my cooking. Crisps & wafers all the way!

craig green
26-01-09, 03:31 PM
I've got spare AFM's you can try & most other GTE/GSi 8v engine sensors & spares etc.

Is the TPS (throttle position switch) setup properly?

It should click when you move the butterfly off its idle position. Sometimes numpty MOT men mess with it & the AFM C0 screw to get the emmissions right, but it actually does no help at all.

xxspudxx
26-01-09, 03:45 PM
what would xe injectors look like? but as far as im aware its all standard, i'll check the tps.

would EGR valve make any difference? (mine hasnt got one but my other engine has one on it)

xxspudxx
30-01-09, 07:51 PM
well so far ive changed, air filter, plugs, fuel rail, maf, ecu, had whole inlet off and put back on, every pipe is where should be and still running like ****. Which sensors would be main cause of problem?