PDA

View Full Version : some advice needed pwease

Welshy
19-01-09, 11:13 PM
rite then lads and lasses,
ive had my mk1 nova for a couple of months now, about a month ago someone tryed to steal it, bending the door and messing up the steering lick, ive got the steering lock compleatly off and i noticed that where the column bolts to the shell there are two metal hook type things, now one of them snaped and the others fine, the problem is that i cant remove the one thats broke as there is no bolt , its just a round thing, im in the prosses of drilling it out and makeing a new one out off nutts bolts and washers,
is this the right way of going about it or is there a more simple way because my drill isnt the best and its taken two days already...
and btw sorry about my spelling im abit dislecxit
any advice/help would be apriciated:)

bmw156
19-01-09, 11:21 PM
that bolt is a sher nut, i think it kinda works it had something on the top of it and once tightened enough the top bit snaps off. making it very hard to undo it. work out which was it undoes, anti clockwise, and get a cold chisel and whack it, or cut a grove in it with a dremel or simular and get a screw driver in it. this should get it out pretty well. and yeh get a bolt which fits back in there and all should be sweet.

brainsnova
19-01-09, 11:22 PM
try a grinder its a bolt that the head shears off in the factory.

Welshy
19-01-09, 11:25 PM
so drilling its just wasting time??
il have a bllast on wednesday as im goin to london tomorrow to film a music vid wiv my mate,also il get some pics up,
anotherthing when i took the collum out i didnt remove the universal joint now it only goes in a little bit??

bmw156
20-01-09, 12:26 AM
you not got the bolt through the hole as it will prevent it, and just give both parts a wiggle up and down, should slide in easily and compltely

and i woudl say dont drill it as its got a thread inside

Dod
20-01-09, 09:25 AM
Ok, take an angle grinder or a hacksaw and cut a line through the centre of it and use a screw driver to remove it, they arent overly tight, failing that try and nip the edges on either side of the bolt face and get an adjustable spanner on it.

Have you tried putting vicegrips on it?

Welshy
20-01-09, 08:48 PM
yeh tryd vice grips and they keep sliping going to do it tomorrow coz iv got to get it done by next week or i wont have a car to go on my apprenticeship

Stuart
20-01-09, 08:57 PM
bin the text typing

Welshy
21-01-09, 12:54 PM
sorry about that,
i have done it today and your advice helped me alot, anouthere question,
will a corsa airbox fit over the carb??

Pistol Pete
21-01-09, 01:15 PM
What type of air filter do you have fitted at the moment?

Welshy
21-01-09, 08:56 PM
dustbin type

AlexW
21-01-09, 09:02 PM
You cant fit corsa elbow's to carbs.

Welshy
21-01-09, 09:50 PM
right then, what could i do to make it a bit faster?? i dont want to do an engine swap as its got 18000 miles from new

AlexW
21-01-09, 10:55 PM
Read in articals.