PDA

View Full Version : getting doors off

carltoncrazy
13-12-02, 02:58 PM
well howz u get the doors off on a 2dr hatch?

Dave_Hay
13-12-02, 03:38 PM
with a sykes pickvant tool(?20ish from halfords or local car store)

you made need a drill to clean up the hinge for the new hinges that go on.

mikeoxford
13-12-02, 05:22 PM
a LOT of jiggery pokery - u will find you say swear words that you didnt even know

sometimes there a piece of pi$$ sometimes there *ahem* awkward to say the least! u may find yourself drilling the things off, but you will need to use corsa pins etc as they are slightly bigger - this is what most people do.

Matt Finary
13-12-02, 10:20 PM
The flying machine's doors pins wouldn't come out :evil: so I cut the hinge off the door with a grinder :twisted:

sorry if it not much help :roll: , but if the doors are fcuked. It's the quickest way of doing it

Matt :)

Breeny
13-12-02, 11:12 PM
Yeh as Matt says, just angle grind them off if your replacing the doors.

Ste once told me to use Corsa door pins but i don't know if that works?

Bodyshop replaced the doors on mine.

Matt Finary
14-12-02, 02:14 PM
If you drill the hinge you can use Cav pins aswell as corsa ones. But if the door are fcuked, just cut them off.

carltoncrazy
14-12-02, 03:17 PM
ok im gonna sound gay(jus to make this clear,IM NOT GAY.
but i dont have the heart to cut the doors off.
il get them off last then

Dave_Hay
14-12-02, 04:23 PM
corsa door pins are longer, only diff. so next time if u gotta take doors off you have plenty of hinge to grab and pull on and curse at :D theyll be stronger too id imagine

but yeah if they doors are rotten take grinder to em.

ade
14-12-02, 04:43 PM
you cant drill the pins out theyre hardened steel - I know I tried for AGES!

In the end best thing to do is get a proper hinge pin removal tool - ask at halfords or local vauxhall garage for a proper one/what they use.

Dont try and smash it out with a metal rod (like an old bolt) coz you'll end up damaging the pin top - again - been there done that!

blast em with high pressure air to get all sh1te out of hinge then Soak in wd40 or better still that XL1 engine lubricant (its not cheap but does work)

Ade

jim sri
14-12-02, 05:26 PM
i got a draper toll for the job- ?13 i think from local factors.
make sure you get the tool for hollow pins, as i know draper do tool for solid and hollow pins.
:wink:

Dave_Hay
14-12-02, 07:03 PM
lol the tools called a sykes pickvant tool!

and u can drill the hinges, you just need a decent drill and industrial strength bits :lol:

i drilled mine to clean em up after door was off and my shit drill bits were glowing red lol

Matt Finary
15-12-02, 12:38 PM
You can drill them using a diamond, cobolt or Titanium Nitride coated drill bit. I use cobolt ones, they work a treat.

The stock number for the Draper hollow door pin removal kit is - 54585 -
RRP ? 10.32 but I got mine for ?5.16 :D.

carltoncrazy
15-12-02, 01:52 PM
well i cant b fuck 2 do it at the moment,
the idea of releasing stress on the door with an angle grinder.....is .............appeling.
yep im doing that

Chris LR
15-12-02, 04:01 PM
I used various metal bars, punches, allen keys and lump hammer.

I got the job done, then used another (even bigger) hammer to bend the brackets into the right shape.

Go and buy new pins, it's less than ?1 from Vaux.

mikeoxford
15-12-02, 04:46 PM
lol @ ian! every other post cant be bnothered with this or that!

LOL ian you will be driving around in your carlton for ages and your nova will become a monument soon!

we will have to all go down his yard and have a few working parties for the chappy :lol:

_JH_
18-12-02, 12:18 AM
well i wanted to keep the doors and not the car so i grinded away at my poor little GTE until the front pillars were bolluxed. sacrilegious i know, but the door pins came out much easier when i could manouver the door! poor little GTE...

something tells me thats no help with your problem though :roll:

mikeoxford
18-12-02, 12:36 AM
:lol: @ useless reply - ur turning into wisewood! mind you he is the king of wit and humour 8)

carltoncrazy
25-12-02, 12:30 AM
LOL ian you will be driving around in your carlton for ages
im not complain,carlton has,heated lether seats,tracton,cruise,powersteering,electric windows,mirrors,sunroof

il slowly fix the nova :lol:

mikeoxford
25-12-02, 12:34 AM
now heres an idea............. a lotus nova!

whip all the james bond gadgetery out 8)