PDA

View Full Version : E16SE help?

L33 LEG
17-01-09, 03:15 PM
iv got a GSi engine in my nova and since iv bought the car back it is running VERY tappy to say the least lol the guy who had it put gearbox oil in it instead of the proper stuff and also drove around with a cloth as a oil cap ha. i got it running and it revs up as sweet as ever but like i said, very tappy. do you think a new set of tappets will help this or is the head totally fcuked do you think?

and also, if i get hold of another head and simply change gasket and bolt it on, do u think itl be ok? and again, also if i was to buy a head off a GTE would this fit fine or are they completely different? and if it does fit, would ALL of my GSi wiring and plugs fit on right?

cheers:thumb:

Mike
17-01-09, 04:05 PM
Lee, if your just gonna change the head complete, get your hands on a used E16SE item. IIRC the C16 item is a little different.

L33 LEG
17-01-09, 04:08 PM
is the C16 a GTE engine then? i always thought they were both e16se. im not a mechanic in no way shape or form, but i could easily swap a head over so think it is the easiest thing for me to do.

if i was to fix my head tho, what is involved in replacing the tappets? do you need a special tool to fit them or could i get my mate to fix it for me at home? i should really be asking him this cos hel tell me exactly whats what but though id ask here first Lol.

Mike
17-01-09, 04:22 PM
No, E16 is a "commonly" the GTE engine, althou some GSi's did have this unit fitted aswell.

For pure ease and speed, a head change is far easier IMO. Cheaper to as long as you get a good cond head.

L33 LEG
17-01-09, 04:28 PM
the reason why i was asking is iv been offered this head...

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z24/bachilds1988/DSC00059.jpg

looks to me that its off a GTE so need to know if itl fit my engine fine and if i had to change any of my wiring. if it will all fit then il buy it :)

picture of my engine by the way if its of any help

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/L33LEG/nova%20rebuild/renova011.jpg

Mike
17-01-09, 04:33 PM
Looks like an E16 to me, albeit it an early type one with round belt cover.

L33 LEG
17-01-09, 04:34 PM
it is an e16, because thats what i asked for and he said he had one Lol. but it looks totally different to mine and also would the dis set up being different be a problem?

Graeme
17-01-09, 04:36 PM
I didn't think there were any differences in the heads

John
17-01-09, 04:37 PM
Lee, the engine in the bottom pic is a C16SE, the head is off an E16SE. Iirc the heads are the same.

L33 LEG
17-01-09, 04:38 PM
I didn't think there were any differences in the heads

so is it just the cam cover that looks different then?

sorry if these questions seem silly, i dont really have much knowledge mechanically. and im wanting my engine fixed as soon as possible and as easy as possible :cool:

L33 LEG
17-01-09, 04:39 PM
Lee, the engine in the bottom pic is a C16SE, the head is off an E16SE. Iirc the heads are the same.

oh, so all this time iv been saying i have a E16SE its actually a C16SE. well in that case, has anybody got a spare head for sale? lol

Graeme
17-01-09, 04:40 PM
As far as I can remember is purely astetical (sp) the cam cover change but I would watch for someone to confirm this as it been a whilst since I've messed with one

Mike
17-01-09, 04:40 PM
oh, so all this time iv been saying i have a E16SE its actually a C16SE. well in that case, has anybody got a spare head for sale? lol

lol getting me confused like a mofo now lol

L33 LEG
17-01-09, 04:42 PM
so if it is just the look of the cam that is different then surely all my wiring should plug striaght onto it? so then the only problem is the dis pack, is this a problem?

L33 LEG
17-01-09, 04:42 PM
lol getting me confused like a mofo now lol

lol im confusing myself, dont worry about it.

L33 LEG
17-01-09, 05:17 PM
have you all given up and confused now? lol :(

mowgli
17-01-09, 07:41 PM
the heads are pretty much the same.. take the cam carriers off & you will see........

if it is making tapping noises and has had the wrong oil in it, the cam is probably the thing that is knackered.

the hydraulic lifters will have the old oil in them & won't work right so they need cleaning as well, but even most trained mechanics don't think it is possible. it is...

Iain
17-01-09, 07:46 PM
I think there's a slight difference in the cam carrier to bolt the dis setup on instead of a distributor. So if you're not going to use the distributor you'd need to keep your current cam carrier.

(Assuming you're getting that whole setup and not just the head)

AlexW
17-01-09, 08:50 PM
As mowgli said, why bother changing the head if its Just the lifters? (I know thats what made my 1.4 tappety.

L33 LEG
18-01-09, 05:42 AM
i meant changing the head and cam carrier. il try and find one for sale, if not then il see if i can fix it.