View Full Version : Welding

General Lee
17-01-09, 10:35 AM
hi,

Is it wise to take the petrol tank out before you comense welding on a car.

Cheers
Nath

let_nova
17-01-09, 10:39 AM
depends were your welding. if its relatvley close to the tank yes. just have a bucket of water on hand.

General Lee
17-01-09, 10:41 AM
welding cage plates in so rear arches, b pillar on the floor and driver and passenger footwells

chimp007_uk
17-01-09, 10:42 AM
You'll be fine just soak the areas in water first and cover any fuel hoses with damp cloths

bmw156
17-01-09, 11:17 AM
i welded behind the rear suspension on the arches and was fine

Iain
17-01-09, 03:07 PM
Might be an idea to move the fuel filter as it's quite close to the mounting point for the B pillar.

MyNovaSr
17-01-09, 03:41 PM
Drain the fuel :confused: ? Wait over night :confused:

Mike
17-01-09, 04:03 PM
Shizzle, i welded a spot weld hole up righ above the tank when it was a qaurter full. If your careful you'll be reet.

You using an auto darkening mask or a pap normal one?

mikey14sr
19-01-09, 04:57 PM
I drilled off my rear seat mounts and welded the holes back up without making a big bang on the SR, welded a nice patch right next to the filler neck, the rear spring seats, arches and sills too, all with at least a gallon of juice still in the tank. You just need to be carefull about it.

EDIT; Just remembered I did most of the welding in the engine bay with un-capped fuel pipes too, lol.

General Baxter
19-01-09, 05:23 PM
bah iv just had the nuts glowing that holds the tank in, still had fuel in lol

all tho 999 was in the phone ready lol

Andy
19-01-09, 05:31 PM
Meh well thats nowt lol when my tank was leaking i just welded it up,it was leaking out of the hole i was welding.........

Leeboo
19-01-09, 08:44 PM
Meh well thats nowt lol when my tank was leaking i just welded it up,it was leaking out of the hole i was welding.........

:eek: .

Its not hard to remove the tank for piece of mind, if its a project etc then you might as well.

Novasport
19-01-09, 08:48 PM
A nearly empty tank is prob more dangerous than a full one as its usually the vapours that are the most flammable bit.
I would take as many precautions as you can, a guy my dad knew died whilst welding his sons car. He was working in a pit under the car when it went up and burnt him to death, not nice!

Pistol Pete
19-01-09, 09:37 PM
/\ Very good advice. I have been told the same thing by my dad. About the vapours. The time it takes to remove the tank, is nothing compared to the time you may take to heal from burns.

AlexW
19-01-09, 10:31 PM
If your planning on doing a few bits of welding near the tank take it out ffs! not worth the risk IMO.

Last time i had my car welded i filled it up first lol

Andy
20-01-09, 01:34 PM
lol my post was a joke-as in this thread turned into "whose done the most dangerous welding before"
As said,if your welding near your tank just take it off.Vapour IS more flammable than the liquid as when its vapour its mixed with oxygen..

draper
20-01-09, 02:34 PM
i know of a guy who filled his tank with water so he could weld it up but there was stil a pocket of vapour which ignited and exploded the tank sending it 25ft into th eair, he calmly watched it land then welded up bothe holes lol

mikey14sr
20-01-09, 03:36 PM
I think the fact that I allways work out in the wind has helped me get away with it so far, you certainly don't want the tank in if you're in a garage with the doors closed.

Andy
20-01-09, 06:44 PM
Welding in the wind would mean a pants weld though unless your using gasless wire.So ive been told anyway.

Mike
20-01-09, 06:47 PM
^ correct. The sheilding gas gets blown away from the electrode tip, results in uneven penetration & a sheet qaulity of weld.

Andy
20-01-09, 06:49 PM
Thanks Mike rep added for proper description of what i meant to say

Mike
20-01-09, 06:53 PM
Thanks Mike rep added for proper description of what i meant to say

lol nice one chap :D

mowgli
20-01-09, 06:58 PM
Drain the fuel :confused: ? Wait over night :confused:

a full tank is far safer than an empty one. its the vapour that explodes