PDA

View Full Version : 6 points.

*Dave*
16-01-09, 12:42 AM
hey not sure if this should be in the 'insurance' catagory or not but hey......

stupidly i drove my daily runner to the MOT station without insurance, only a mile or 2.

just my luck to get pulled over and car was taken away and i had to pay £150 to get it back.

the thing is that iv had a letter through the post saying i have to go to court in febuary, iv heard i may get 6 points and a fine.

but i am lookin to insure my xe'd GSI by then but the 6 points are'nt going to help with the insurance premium. so do i insure the car before i got to court ? that way i wont have to declare the 6 points untill my next renewal,is this true?

or do i have to tell my insurance company about the points as soon as i get them?

i hope iv explained this right.

cheers.:thumb:

bmw156
16-01-09, 12:44 AM
i didnt think you have to have insurance to drive to a BOOKED appointment for an MOT

and yeh i woudl do it befor the court thing, even tho saying that, if you say i didnt know i was geting them, they coudl check with the company what letters had been sent out and they might find out you knew you were getting them.

*Dave*
16-01-09, 12:46 AM
the MOT was not booked ! plus the policeman said that booking an mot means your insured is a mith.(bollox)

bmw156
16-01-09, 12:47 AM
if the MOT wasnt booked then yeh you will get done lol, because you coudl be lieing as to where you were going

Ste L
16-01-09, 05:25 AM
No, you NEED insurance ANY time you drive on the road, even if the car's just parked on the road...

booked mot or not, you still need insurance to drive it

you dont need tax to drive to and from a pre-book mot then,. thats must be what your thinking of

rubachuk
16-01-09, 06:51 AM
Don't you get asked if you have any prosecutions pending when an insurance company takes your details?

Jack
16-01-09, 07:20 AM
Don't you get asked if you have any prosecutions pending when an insurance company takes your details?
Yes. Unfortunately and IN10 (no insurance) will up your premium a fair bit.

As said, you can drive to a pre-booked MOT station with no MOT or tax, but you must have insurance.

You must declare any changes to the policy at the time they become correct - this includes personal details (such as points, address, etc) as well as modifications.

Ernie
16-01-09, 07:59 AM
your srewed mate.

Lynsey
16-01-09, 10:04 AM
No sympathy from Christian then, eh? lol

bmw156
16-01-09, 10:09 AM
ok i didnt know that :)

thanks for correcting me lol.

and yeh mate you have been bummed.

Shaun_O'Donnell
16-01-09, 10:40 AM
stupidly i drove my daily runner to the MOT station without insurance, only a mile or 2.

Does this mean that not only did you not have insurance for going to the MOT station, but you've been driving about without insurance anyway?:confused:

Either way mate, it's not looking good as they're coming down heavily on uninsured drivers.

let_nova
16-01-09, 10:43 AM
As said, you can drive to a pre-booked MOT station with no MOT or tax, but you must have insurance.

but if you dont have a MOT your insurance is void??

Simon 1867
16-01-09, 10:50 AM
lesson learnt id say

Prey
16-01-09, 11:20 AM

The pre-booked mot covers this bit - as said above, theres no get out clause for no insurance as far as I know - if it touches tarmac it has to be covered.

Day insurance is only a tenner - not worth the risk imho.

L14MNP
16-01-09, 11:40 AM
Gutted. As said though you're bang to rights mate. Expect 6 points and a fine. It's still weird (IMO) why you don't get an automatic ban for no insurance!

Jack
16-01-09, 11:59 AM
I believe that part is an old wives tale. I've only ever seen it written in the small print once on all the car insurance policies I've had, and even then it came with a disclaimer in that cover would be offered if you were driving to and from a pre-booked MOT (same as tax).

let_nova
16-01-09, 12:20 PM
I believe that part is an old wives tale. I've only ever seen it written in the small print once on all the car insurance policies I've had, and even then it came with a disclaimer in that cover would be offered if you were driving to and from a pre-booked MOT (same as tax).

ok appologies. just a little bit that stuck in my head.:thumb:

Stuart
16-01-09, 12:26 PM
mmm IN10 = The insurance companies take that as if youve just shagged their prized pet in front of them..... ie they WILL rape you back many times harder

L14MNP
16-01-09, 12:27 PM
^ What he said. A mate of mine has an IN10 because Flux didn't update his policy when he declared an engine swap. So he says... lol

Shaun_O'Donnell
16-01-09, 12:32 PM
Been watching a lot of episodes of "Traffic Cops" and "Road Wars" and they're coming across a lot of drivers who take out insurance, recieve the certificate, then cancel the policy but keep hold of the document, in-case they get a producer. But what they don't appear to be aware of is that all insured cars are on a database that the police have access to and un-insured cars are picked up on their ANPR equipment and stopped.

Just a note to all to make sure you are legal to drive on the roads, cause there's no getting away with it.

phazer
16-01-09, 05:01 PM

You are right about no mot = no insurance, it is an old wives tale same as no tax = no insurance.

Every insurance policy I've seen states that the car must be in a roadworthy condition for the insurance to be valid. Having an MOT doesn't guarantee the car is roadworthy and not having an MOT doesn't mean the car is unroadworthy :wtf:

Most insurers will drop cover from fully comp down to third party in the event of a claim where an MOT is invalid.

Insurers have a duty under the Road Traffic Act to provide third party cover for an insured driver regardless of the offence that driver may be committing.

HIC told me that even when SORN and laid up my cover drops to third party when the MOT expires.

Jack
16-01-09, 05:14 PM
all insured cars are on a database that the police have access to and un-insured cars are picked up on their ANPR equipment and stopped.
Indeed. See for yourself: www.askmid.com

Ernie
16-01-09, 05:28 PM
your still screwed tho lol.
My nova im building at the mo is insured and has been since the start of jan this year.it's not even running yet lol.

white2lSR
16-01-09, 05:41 PM
I think the minimum for driving without insurance is 6 point, so you could end up with more!

Jack
16-01-09, 05:49 PM
Minimum 6 points and £180 fine I think.

*Dave*
16-01-09, 07:24 PM
things are looking great for me ah!!

GSI XE, 19 years old, 2 years no claims, now possible 6 points.

turbojolt
16-01-09, 07:27 PM
it could always be worse mate

MyNovaSr
16-01-09, 07:31 PM
things are looking great for me ah!!

GSI XE, 19 years old, 2 years no claims, now possible 6 points.

I got 6 points for no insurance, I was driving on a supermarket car park :tard:

Had to re-take my test also, plus a £150 fine!

phazer
16-01-09, 08:56 PM
I got 6 points for no insurance, I was driving on a supermarket car park :tard:

Had to re-take my test also, plus a £150 fine!

Ooops!

Probably due to a change in the law/rules - supermarket car parks are not classed as private land as the public have access or something along those lines.

Was the re-test due to 6 points in the first two years thing? Bit harsh if not.

Plug
16-01-09, 09:12 PM
one of my work mates got caught driving without insurance he got a 4 month ban and £200 fine,

the car had mot and tax hes 27 also.

Good luck in court mate :thumb:

MyNovaSr
16-01-09, 11:19 PM
Ooops!

Probably due to a change in the law/rules - supermarket car parks are not classed as private land as the public have access or something along those lines.

Was the re-test due to 6 points in the first two years thing? Bit harsh if not.

Yes, 6 points in the first 2 years. My 2 years was up Feb 10th 2007, I got stopped Feb 9th 10.30pm! Always pisses me off, had to sell the XE too :cry:

Put my insurance up £700 on a 2L nova!

phazer
17-01-09, 09:04 PM
Yes, 6 points in the first 2 years. My 2 years was up Feb 10th 2007, I got stopped Feb 9th 10.30pm! Always pisses me off, had to sell the XE too :cry:

Put my insurance up £700 on a 2L nova!

What a pisser!

Benn
17-01-09, 10:02 PM
i didnt think you have to have insurance to drive to a BOOKED appointment for an MOT.

Really? lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol :cry:

chrisnovaturbo
18-01-09, 01:22 AM
it could always be worse mate

yeah like me with no licence. lol

brainsnova
18-01-09, 02:20 AM
i learned quick after getting 6 points and a £450 fine for a 2 min drive lol. back in the early days. now im sensible :thumb:

*Dave*
18-01-09, 05:45 PM
What should i expect to pay for my insurance?

nova gsi xe 19 years old, 2 years no claims, possible 6 points.

mowgli
18-01-09, 09:42 PM

how many kidneys have you got????

scott.parker
18-01-09, 10:03 PM

£1500-£2500?? or might not even be able to get any cover!

*Dave*
18-01-09, 10:45 PM
id pay up tp £1900 but no more.

the gsi can rest for a while till i get reasonable insurance.

RJM25R
21-01-09, 11:57 PM
mmm IN10 = The insurance companies take that as if youve just shagged their mum and grandma in front of them..... ie they WILL rape you back many times harder

IN10 is viewed as slightly less than drink/drug driving in terms of driving offences. It will haunt you for years, as it will be against your name for a long while, and you'll have to declare it for 5 years when insuring any car in future.

Jack
22-01-09, 08:04 AM
you'll have to declare it for 5 years when insuring any car in future.
Thats the case for any motoring conviction though (aside from dangerous/drink driving or DUI, which is 11 years iirc).

white2lSR
22-01-09, 03:35 PM
IN10 is viewed as slightly less than drink/drug driving in terms of driving offences. It will haunt you for years, as it will be against your name for a long while, and you'll have to declare it for 5 years when insuring any car in future.

And if he waited 5 years with nova 'resting' there would only be a pile of rust left! lol

meach86
22-01-09, 09:36 PM
hiya mate i drove a mates car and got done for no insurance i got 6 points and a fine but my insurance only went up £70 that was on a group 15 car

General Baxter
22-01-09, 09:43 PM
Every insurance policy I've seen states that the car must be in a roadworthy condition for the insurance to be valid. Having an MOT doesn't guarantee the car is roadworthy and not having an MOT doesn't mean the car is unroadworthy :wtf:

would that mean my insurance was invalid due to the 1.4 could burst in to flames at any second lol

phazer
23-01-09, 10:55 AM
would that mean my insurance was invalid due to the 1.4 could burst in to flames at any second lol

You'd still have thrid party, park it next to another car you own thats worth more lol