PDA

View Full Version : nova big brakes

clemo
15-01-09, 08:03 PM
hi a couple of months ago i bought a nova 1.0l spin as a project car/work car as i had 1 when i was 17 and loved it. my brakes are shortly going to require replacement but i am planning to put an XE or LET engine in later in the year so dont want to do anything with the standard brakes as the sliders have started to stick so will require new calipers anyway. so was wondering what is the best brake conversion to go for. i want something reletively easy and cheap but little alterations would not be a problem as i am a mechanic.

ive heard that cavalier or calibra brakes fit straight on but have never tried so am relying on heresay. do any of you know wether or not this is true and wether any additional parts may be required like matching master cylinder/servo or differant flexi hoses etc.

Jay
15-01-09, 08:05 PM
If your putting a xe in will be ok with 256mm vented brakes, if going down the let route i'd want cav turbo brakes, or better some wilwood 4 pots.

Leeboo
15-01-09, 08:07 PM
Yes mate, Cav and Calibra 16v brakes will fit stright on with your current flexis etc. :thumb:

Rich
15-01-09, 08:29 PM
Most vauxhall brakes will go on the front, vectra, cavalier, calibra, astra. Most common is the 256mm stuff. From experience i wouldnt go any less than turbo cav/calibra stuff 284/288

clemo
15-01-09, 08:47 PM
cheers guys ill keep my eye out for some turbo brakes then. do i need a particular size wheel with the larger brakes ive been offered some 15" alloys

Jay
15-01-09, 08:48 PM
Yes your'll need minimun of 15's for turbo brakes.

kieran jackson
15-01-09, 08:52 PM
the smallest i good get over my 2.0l astra brakes was 14''

clemo
15-01-09, 09:08 PM
cool so ill be o.k with 15s either way then. p.s jay the spin is looking good that was the colour i was looking for when i was 16 but could only find 2 and one had been brush painted on most panels so ended up buying a tidy white trip on a h reg mk2 tho. was a fantastic car i drove it for 2 years then my mum had it off me for 3 years. im gonna try and get some pics up soon.

General Baxter
15-01-09, 09:15 PM
the smallest i good get over my 2.0l astra brakes was 14''
indeed but its close lol
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/baxters83/Picture026.jpg

craig green
15-01-09, 09:18 PM
You need 5.5J x 14'' wheels from a Cavalier to get the 16v brakes in.

Jay
15-01-09, 10:25 PM
cool so ill be o.k with 15s either way then. p.s jay the spin is looking good that was the colour i was looking for when i was 16 but could only find 2 and one had been brush painted on most panels so ended up buying a tidy white trip on a h reg mk2 tho. was a fantastic car i drove it for 2 years then my mum had it off me for 3 years. im gonna try and get some pics up soon.

Cheers mate, deff get some pics up, maybe start a project thread, just to let you know you need at least 15 posts before hosting pictures. :thumb:

clemo
15-01-09, 10:30 PM
o.k cheers mate i probably will have 15 posts by the time i finish curent project as i will more than likely be needing more help. ha ha

Jay
15-01-09, 10:32 PM
o.k cheers mate i probably will have 15 posts by the time i finish curent project as i will more than likely be needing more help. ha ha

Haha good luck with it, is it standard at the mo then?

clemo
15-01-09, 10:39 PM
yeah pretty standard 1.0l spin in red ive put sri clocks in it and colour coded the mirrors but thats all so far i have an sri spoiler but havent had chance to fit it yet and ive bought two mint doors as they have rusted quite badly but im waiting for my mate whos a body shop owner to spray them for me then it should be pretty tidy and can start the project properly.