PDA

View Full Version : Alternator?

Leeboo
15-01-09, 06:40 PM
Hi all,

Got a 1600 8v carb engine here, and I'm having some problems.

The engine is good and fit, but recently the battery light has been lighting up at just over 5k revs (under load, not stationary). It seems to be affecting the power, especially at high revs. It usually has a strong burst where the enrichment kicks in at about 5500 rpm.

I've made sure the alternator belt is tight, and it is. Should the battery light flash at all, even at high revs?

Is the alternator funked?

Leeboo
15-01-09, 10:00 PM
Shoyte, I just realised this is really in the wrong section, oops.

Any ideas anyway?

clemo
15-01-09, 10:25 PM
im a mechanic but have never had this with vauxhalls however ive had a similar fault on a v6 mondeo where the car had a knackered alternator so i fitted a replacement from a local supplier it looked exactly the same so i fitted it and the bloke came back saying the battery light was flashing at around 6000 rpm under load so put looked into it and could find nothing other than the alternator to blame so fitted another thinking it was a faulty part.

i then drove it myself and sure enough same thing happened so checked all earths and feed from the dash light and then took off the alternator again and put it next to the origional one. it was exactly the same but i just noticed that the pulley on the front of the alternators were slighty differant sizes so swapped the pulleys over and it cured it.

because the pulley was smaller it was allowing the alternator to spin to fast and there for over loading it

Leeboo
15-01-09, 11:59 PM
Thanks a million mate, I've got a spare alternator from another small block 8v in the garage, I'll check to see if theres any difference in the two!!

:thumb:

clemo
25-01-09, 09:19 PM
hey mate did you try the alternator.

Leeboo
25-01-09, 11:37 PM
Hi mate, nah the car kind of fixed itself, the battery warning light does flash a bit at high revs but it doesn't affect performance.

I'll update the thread if anything happens :thumb: