PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 16v engines

mckel
12-12-02, 01:09 AM
Is a 16 gsi corsa engine a XE one and if not were do a get an XE engine from.

Dave_Hay
12-12-02, 01:07 PM
theres 2 diff types on gsi engines

the c16xe and the x16xe, the c16xe is the best to mod and is from early gsis. the x16xe will be foudn in sports.

u also get an x14xe corsa engine (the 1.4 16v)

then the c20xe and theres one or two more. the 2litre jobbies are in astra gte/gsi and cav gsis and early calibras.

Dicko
12-12-02, 09:05 PM
dave more or less said everything u asked for :)

Dave_Hay
13-12-02, 03:54 PM
more or less?

*shrugs* thats what he asked for :P

psssssssst where u been hiding dicko?

Dicko
14-12-02, 05:52 PM
u said the x16xe was out of sports, well it was in all gsi's after 1994, the c16xe was only used for a year. the c16xe head is beter (however much people will try to argue it IS different). the c16xe uses an airflow meter insted of a MAP sensor as used on later engines, both make that loud WARP noise on full open throttle, but the c16xe is a little louder as the inlet tube is bigger :)

if your looking to mod the engine with a mantzel or similar induction kit and nothing much else you woul;d be beter to go for the x16xe as you would need to replace the inlet manifold on the c16xe as its different and those kits do NOT fit!!!
Only other major thing is that most the x16xe's have PAS pumps and a longer belt which can be ??? to swop so u dont have all that crap on it!

if anybody wants anymore specific info just post here :)

ollster
14-12-02, 06:28 PM
i am goin to be doing this conversion to my nova sri early next year. I am looking at getting an 16xe. How much work is really involved in converting an 1.4 sri to a 16xe engine. I have stripped and rebuilt the engine thats currently in so i know what im doing, the only problem i can forsee is wiring the new loom in as i am shit with auto electrics. I intend to use the current gearbox (f13cr), and i can use the early spec bottom pulley wheel off my SRI engine. Any info would be appreciated, cheers in advance.

Dave_Hay
14-12-02, 06:59 PM
lol he never asked for that much info smart ass

the c16xe does have larger ports

Dicko
15-12-02, 09:21 AM
although i think the sri is 1 of the best base models, its also 1 of the worst where wiring is concerned, the engine loom is intergrated into the main loom and is a little more dificult than if a base model such as a GTE is used, however if u look at 'Michael Dickinsons SRi' in the cars section my black sri is in there with the 16v engine and i wouldnt mind letting you know what needs going where.

The corsa alternator can be used (and there nice for ICE installs at 70/100amps) as they DO clear the body as many people say they wont!!

ollster
15-12-02, 10:17 AM
mine is an ealry spec sri without the DIS pack, i dont know if that makes any differance. I was told that these models (with the normal dissy) had the engine loom seperate from the car, is this correct?
http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/249big8.jpg

Dicko
15-12-02, 04:16 PM
nope, as with the 1.2i the ECU is behind the glovebox!! still a bit of a bugger :s
lol

but dont worry about it. iv left my sri loom and ecu intact and just piggybacked the 16v loom in aswell and left the sri loom bundled in a corner under the bonnet

ollster
15-12-02, 10:18 PM
so does the new 16v ECU go under the front parcel shelf like it is now, also can you use any of teh sri loom, like the injector plugs, and block tempreture sensor etc. Obvioulsy if i go for an older spec engine it will be running an AFM meter, so that will be different. By the way cheers for this informiton its gonna come in very handy when i tackle this job

Dicko
15-12-02, 10:51 PM
its hard to explain without going into great detail.
basically you need to get power to the 16v ecu, this then conects to the sensors/injectors etc.
the only wires that you transfer are things such as the starter, the engine temp.
you need to run a wire from the fuel pump relay to the existing wire, also you need to run a wire from the 16v ECU to ur dashboard for the rpm counter

ollster
16-12-02, 12:40 AM
have you got any pictures of your conversion mate (whilst doing it), or wiring diagrams etc. i know its a bit cheeky but it would help a great deal

Dicko
16-12-02, 09:37 AM
did have some pics but lost them.

iv got plenty of pics of the engine in the car.

no wiring diagrams sorry, pretty straight forward its just a case of finding where the wires are you need to attach to!

brian
16-12-02, 06:45 PM
it's straight forward alright ollster. basically think of it as, your old wiring tidied to the side. the 16v engine is dropped in with the wiring from the car it comes out of connected to it. then there are only a few wires to connect up for starter/alt etc plus a few others that dicko mentioned. then bore a hole behind your battery and run the new loom into the car at this point and leave the ecu on the shelf under the steering wheel.
www.valvers.com there are instructions for all of this on the site.

ollster
16-12-02, 11:35 PM
i understand what you mean mate, the only thing is i would like to connect the new ecu under the passenger parcel shelf where the original is, with the sri loom cut and taped up

brian
17-12-02, 07:28 PM
the only way to do that would be to add in a section of loom and use colour coded wires to extend it to the length you require.
as for the sri loom, if its not in use cut it off if thats what ya want. obviously ya would have to leave a certain amount of it.