PDA

View Full Version : 4 speed gearbox

Curtoise
15-01-09, 01:47 PM
hi all, i have a 1.2i nova with only 4 gears, im a bit of a noob with novas so was wondering could i put a 5 speed in ? or would this naker the engine?

napalm_27
15-01-09, 01:50 PM
yes mate iv got a 5 speed on my 1.2 nova engine that i took out my mates nova
they came with both 4 and 5 speed just depends what you get really

loggyboy
15-01-09, 01:53 PM
No it would swap straight in and cause no issues with the engine. I would unlikey give u anymore speed, but would increase economy on long runs.

Alternatively (and this may sound strange but it is somwetimes true), its worth looking at your gear box as it may be a 5speed already. Vauxhall stopped producing 4speeds at some point, and just put a peice of plastic on under the rubber gear gaiter to stop the 4 speed models from engaging the 5th gear. If you see a 5 speed symbol on top of ur gbox then have a look. Even if you see a symbol its worth looking under the rubber gaiter.

mowgli
15-01-09, 10:12 PM
No it would swap straight in and cause no issues with the engine. I would unlikey give u anymore speed, but would increase economy on long runs.

Alternatively (and this may sound strange but it is somwetimes true), its worth looking at your gear box as it may be a 5speed already. Vauxhall stopped producing 4speeds at some point, and just put a peice of plastic on under the rubber gear gaiter to stop the 4 speed models from engaging the 5th gear. If you see a 5 speed symbol on top of ur gbox then have a look. Even if you see a symbol its worth looking under the rubber gaiter.

/\/\ I have never heard of this one..... have a look at the left hand end of the box. if there is a 36mm hexagon bolt in the end cap, then it is a 4 speed. the shifter boxes on the early ones used the same casting & it had the 5 speed bit on it.

ifyou get a 5 speed box, make sure it has the 5 speed shifter housing on it, the 4 & 5 spped ones are different. also get a 5 speed gearstick.. you can mod a 4 speed one, but a 5 speed on just works fine.