PDA

View Full Version : Should I go 4 it?

Anonymous
14-11-00, 11:45 AM
I have been offered a 1600 cav engine from me mates Dad for nothing, it has done 33,000 from new and is on around an E plate. There is nothing wrong with it, he will fit it for nothing on my SR. He says he could get me webber 32/34 carb on it with me K&N and I'll be looking at around 120bhp. He said there won't have to be no change in engine mounts or nothing, and the front of the car is being strengthened when I get the cross member done.

Do you reckon I should go ahead with it?

Anonymous
14-11-00, 02:37 PM
1600 cav engine is big block so it won't fit without hassle
p.s. no chance of 120bhp nova gsi is only 100bhp
Steve (NovaLoadTechy)

Anonymous
14-11-00, 04:06 PM
My mates Dad has is a mechanic mate, that 120 bhp will be with my webber carb, k&n magnex exhaust system, and cav janspeed manifold, also with polished and ported head & both manifolds.

Cav's are de tuned, (made to go slower than they should) with a little tinkering it will go some.

gsi is 100bhp, what has that got to do with anything? this engine is 90bhp in the cav, so it will go up being put in to a nova.

Anonymous
14-11-00, 04:29 PM
Dan check which gearbox the cav engine uses, if it is an F16 it is a big block engine meaning you will need special drivshafts etc..If it is F10 or F13 it will fit no problems. Check the cam and fuel pump actuator for wear some of the older mk2 cav engines had problem with the oil flow to the cam.

Anonymous
14-11-00, 04:40 PM
cheers paul.

Anonymous
14-11-00, 05:50 PM
Go for it, I have thought about doing the same to my 1.4SR but upgrading to a 1.6 GTE/GSI but running it off the carb, so it will look the same for insurance purposes. If your mates dad is up for fitting it let him do so, keep us updated if it goes ahead and what power increase you got.

Anonymous
14-11-00, 07:50 PM
We fitted a 1.6GSI engine to a 1.4SR. It will take a fair bit of buggering about and don't believe anyone who says anything "just drops right in mate" - there are loads of variations with Novas. However worth battling with. We also ported and flowed the head and fitted twin 40's, The exhaust manifold and valves are standard and we've just had it rolling roaded giving 116bhp at the flywheel.120 will take a fair bit of doing- maybe larger valves and a large bore exhaust manifold. if you're looking for more try a 2.0l inplant and scare yourself to death!

Anonymous
15-11-00, 09:48 AM
novaboy425: I have about 85bhp in my 1.3 at the moment at a guess, I was guna get it polished and ported, new manifold and get the cam done and get it tuned on the rolling road, but this engine has got me thinking.

BP: I'd love to say I'm ready 4 a 2.0 in my nova, but I don't need to go that fast yet, plus my wallet and the insurance just wouldn't mix.

This bloke knows what he's on about I have full trust in him. The cav engine he has is of the later model, I think it sits slightly higher than the 1.3, but is roughly the same width.

Anonymous
15-11-00, 07:18 PM
mate them engines are shit i stuck one in my old nova and my 1.4 pisses all over it it was to heavy and it drunk the juice also u need the valver driveshafts and a few hours to make the exhaust match up