PDA

View Full Version : GSi Twin 40

amggsi
13-01-09, 09:49 PM
I got a set of twin 40's for my GSi there, and am now wondering what way I have to go about fitting them!!

I've used a 1200 carb tank, so hopefully I've that end of things sorted out, have a Facet Silver top Pump ordered as well.

Can I use the 1600 dizzy, or will that have to be changed as well?
I've been told I may have to use a 1.4 one, but to confuse things, I have a 1.2 engine here and was wondering if I could use the distributor off it?

(And please explain simply - I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to this!!! lol )

matt_vaughan
13-01-09, 10:42 PM
The dizzy drives on 1.2s are different to 1.6 GSi, so you cant use that distributor.

IIRC the 1.4 one is the way to go.

amggsi
14-01-09, 09:15 AM
Is there anything else that I will have to change apart from what I've mentioned?!!

mowgli
14-01-09, 09:24 AM
well as long as you fit a carb type dizzy & coil (off a 1.4 I think) and the vacuum is connected to the servo, and you have the necessary bracket & belt to fit the alternator properly, then its just down to getting the wiring right, use a haynes manual as a guide & re-create the 1.4 carb wiring.
you don't even need to swap the fuel tank as long as you sort out the pipework under the rear end

amggsi
14-01-09, 09:49 AM
well as long as you fit a carb type dizzy & coil (off a 1.4 I think) and the vacuum is connected to the servo, and you have the necessary bracket & belt to fit the alternator properly, then its just down to getting the wiring right, use a haynes manual as a guide & re-create the 1.4 carb wiring.
you don't even need to swap the fuel tank as long as you sort out the pipework under the rear end

Ah well, I've the tank and lines changed already!!!

So now on the hunt for a 1.4 Dizzy and coil! (I suppose it's wishful thinking that a 1.2 coil is the same as the 1.4?!!)

Welsh Dan
14-01-09, 10:15 AM
You'll need a fuel pressure regulator aswell to keep the pressure down to 2-3psi.

amggsi
14-01-09, 11:45 AM
Will the dizzy/coil of a 1.6 carb do my job?

@Welsh Dan - I got the FPR with the carbs should have said that in the original post!:thumb:

Welsh Dan
14-01-09, 11:48 AM
No you'll need a carbed ignition setup, and only the 1.4 ones fit the 1.6 cam drive, unless you fit an aftermarket cam in which case you could use a 1.2, 1.3 or 1.4 carbed ignition setup.

amggsi
14-01-09, 12:16 PM
No you'll need a carbed ignition setup, and only the 1.4 ones fit the 1.6 cam drive, unless you fit an aftermarket cam in which case you could use a 1.2, 1.3 or 1.4 carbed ignition setup.

I'm fitting a Kent AST cam as well if that makes any difference?!!

The dizzy I've been offered is off a 1.6 carb'd engine, is that of any use?

Welsh Dan
14-01-09, 03:48 PM
Yes that dizzy should be fine with the aftermarket cam, but you'll need the matching coil aswell.