PDA

View Full Version : standard & aftermarket manifolds

mikeoxford
10-12-02, 08:34 PM
hi all.

i KNOW and have been told by you lot before i will need a manifold, as with the mods i plan to do it will be very restrictive?

i just wondered what i should actually go for?

i have a s/s system from downpipe so i guess ill just need the downpipe section / manifold bit

any recommendations? i think austin, you said janspeed..........?

also, is there any gains to be seen if i fitted a GTE manifold?? or what? or do i have to ask for an SR manifold?

as standard would i see any benefit from getting a normal gte/gsi vauxhall manifold from a scrappy?

thanks
mike

mikeoxford
11-12-02, 09:00 AM
boing! back you go to the top little post so someone may reply to you!!!

:twisted:

Jim
11-12-02, 07:21 PM
I bought a magnex manifold for my 1.4SR. The only main difference it made was the noise. It sounded a hell of a lot better when bolted onto my S/S system :D

Other than that, after I had the manifold fitted I got the car rolling roaded and it registered around around the same compared to a rolling road session the year before. The rolling road reports were from two differnt garages so the readings were bound to be different.

The only problem with the magnex manifold is that it is prone to cracking around the welds :( There have been a couple of cases of this happening to the manifold, so don't say we didn't warn you :)

At the end of the dy it's down to personal choice and what you can afford.

Jim

mikeoxford
11-12-02, 10:18 PM
next question im gonna ask is 4-1 or 4-2-1 ?

i still need me low end torque really as i will be fitting a kent ast2 cam which is quite lumpy. so still need me low end toruqe. otherwise ill have all the BHP when my foot to the floor and nowt low down!

Jim
12-12-02, 06:26 PM
You want a 4-2-1 manifold.

Jim

CP
13-12-02, 06:24 PM
The std 1.6 manifold with the twin down pipes will probably be good enough if you are on a budget. I matched mine to a Jetex system. This set up is known to be good for torque and is reasonable pricewise. Magnex are good but there are question marks about the quality of the welding. I had an expert coded stainless steel welder look at mine and he said that there was a cold lapping problem with some of the weld. Its a good design tho

tay
13-12-02, 11:01 PM
I agree with slimjim - the only difference i noticed was the sound of it, especially with twin 40's :D

rob.slader
13-12-02, 11:20 PM
I have a magnex 4-2-1 s/s manifold, It hasn't made any noticable difference in noise, looks a lot better than the standard rusty manifold though! As for power, it is up approx 1.5bhp when it was rolling roaded last weekend, the previous r/r session was with the standard manifold. I have been told it has produced a better power curve and works well with the 40's / cam and head mods.

mikeoxford
13-12-02, 11:22 PM
cool.

ill be going for a 4-2-1 manifold after chrimbo then :)

no point buying quite yet as ill b doing the work in jan. the remainder of it anyway.

i guess ill have to phone around see what i can get.

ive got a mongoose full system, that chris ward bought before me, dont particulary want to part with it, is there a mongoose manifold, or one any of you would specifically rate? im going to steer clear ofthe magnex one methinks.