PDA

View Full Version : Nova SR Spluttering

Dan_Coombs
13-01-09, 10:26 AM
Yesterday i was driving home from work and everything was going fine, picked up the missus and about 3 mins later the car just started spluttering. Car now won't idle, when you put your foot down it will maybe increase the revs by a little then cut out, you need to pulse on the throttle to keep it running (when out of gear and below 3kish) when driving you got to get the revs up really high to pull away and change gear else there will be no go and car will jump around! Once you get over 3kish it's not as bad, seems to be able to drive through it a bit! Again, when out of gear if you put your foot on the throttle and get it to about 5k+ it will sit there more happily but the rev counter jumps about a bit.

So, i'm thinking spark plugs? The gaps in them or maybe just a new set as you can sorta drive through it. If it were the leads/dizzy it would be happening all the time?

Shaun_O'Donnell
13-01-09, 10:53 AM
2 things I would check.

Clogged up carb.

Condition of wiring loom going from coil to distributor etc.

Reason being is, you describe symptoms I had with my SR and these 2 things were the cause.

Hope you get it sorted.

Southie
13-01-09, 11:58 AM
2 things I would check.

Clogged up carb.

Condition of wiring loom going from coil to distributor etc.

I think this is probably very accurate as the coil wiring also has a green wire which controls the rev counter. Would explain the odd wobble on revs.

AlexW
13-01-09, 05:33 PM
I had a problem with the rev counter on my nova and turned out to be the coil.

NovaLad
13-01-09, 05:59 PM
Mine did very simular thing... changed the dizzicap, rotor, leads and was fine.

Dan_Coombs
13-01-09, 11:08 PM
All sorted now, new plugs and leads, problems gone. :) Cheers for the help guys.