PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel bearing

white2lSR
12-01-09, 10:46 AM
Could someone quickly describe the wheel bearing set up on the rear of a nova? Just need to know what to expect when i do it.

Cheers

bmw156
12-01-09, 10:59 AM
also, slight hijack, is the front simular? and is it hard?

white2lSR
12-01-09, 11:01 AM
The front is totally different, it will need pressed out and can be a pain in the a*se sometimes

bmw156
12-01-09, 11:02 AM
rollocks, any tools i can buy to DIY or a professional jobbie?

white2lSR
12-01-09, 11:06 AM
Take the hub off, buy a bearing and just go to a local garage and ask them to fit the bearing. Then refit it to car yourself. At least then you will save some money as removing refitting the hub takes half of the time when dooing a wheel bearing.

bmw156
12-01-09, 11:07 AM
ok sounds like a plan many thanks

white2lSR
12-01-09, 11:18 AM
NO worries found a tread on mig.

Stuart
12-01-09, 11:30 AM
best guide for the rear wheel bearings is in the haynes manual, which I'm assuming you have?!?!

white2lSR
12-01-09, 11:48 AM
Dont have one for the nova. Never found the need for one with there being such helpful people on here

Ernie
12-01-09, 11:57 AM
for the front it is alot better to just got to a scrappy get a hub off a nova and just change them over.
20 min job max.
The rears just jack the car up and suport on axel stands.
Put in gear and let the hand brake off.
Remove wheel undo the centre nut.
You mite need to loosen the hand brake cable off a bit to get the drum off.
Once off you will have the inner and outer parts of the bearings.
The main shell will stay in the hub and need to be removed.There are 2 little cut outs that you can get to by looking from the other side.
Once the bearing shells are removed clean it all up before fitting the new shells and bearings.
You can use the old shells as a tap for getting the new shells.
Place the old shell above the old ones but up side down then tap them so they push the new shells in.Once in just tap the old parts out from the otherside of the drum.
Grease up the shaft and new bearings then slide the hole lot on complete.
I normally tighten the nut up as far as it will go to press the shells in all the way then loosen off a 1/4 of a turn.
tighten hand brake cable refit wheel and put back on the floor.
Job done.
Hope that helps.

Stuart
12-01-09, 12:27 PM
dont forget the seal ;)

I nip the nut up all the way, then back it off till the washer can be moved "just" with a flat bladed screwdriver.

a haynes manual relaly will help no end with most job so its a wise way to spend £10 or so