PDA

View Full Version : Doors Rotten....

matt_vaughan
11-01-09, 08:42 PM
My doors are now officially rotten unfortunately.

However, as usual its only at the bottom, so is easiest to just by the door bottom skins or a full door skin?

Im not too bothered about a concourse smooth finish, as long as it's not instantly noticeable.

Anyone recomend either way?

Cheers

matt_vaughan
11-01-09, 08:44 PM
And, also, are there any little tricks that can be done to stop the things rotting through again in the future (apart from treating the insides, I will do that anyway.) I was thinking about some sort of sloped plastic guttering parked in the bottom which would let water out at one end.

Southie
11-01-09, 09:19 PM
If your interested Matt I have a white passenger side door, that was on my old sr. I can bring it to yours tomorrow to have a look at.

Benn
11-01-09, 09:24 PM
Skin up to the pillars, smoothing out a weld line on a nova door would be a knightmare.
Keeeping the water drains clear and clean. Keep the bottoms ofthe doors clean too. Watch for chips.

matt_vaughan
11-01-09, 09:46 PM
Got a load of exams etc tomorow David. The pass side door aint too bad its the drivers side which is gone. All depends how much you'd be after for it.

Benn, I was thinking the same thing, would be quite hard.

Benn
11-01-09, 10:14 PM
If you are gonna do it, get a normal skin, that will go to the pillars,
Paint the insides fully down to the bottoms, then waxall them right to the bottom, making sure the drains stay clear.

Southie
12-01-09, 09:56 AM
Got a load of exams etc tomorow David. The pass side door aint too bad its the drivers side which is gone. All depends how much you'd be after for it.

Benn, I was thinking the same thing, would be quite hard.
I'm working all day so I was meaning I could bring the door up tonight. :D
Is £25 okay :thumb:

Exams. Ah the good old days.

Nova_Tek
12-01-09, 01:51 PM
Skin up to the pillars, smoothing out a weld line on a nova door would be a knightmare.
Keeeping the water drains clear and clean. Keep the bottoms ofthe doors clean too. Watch for chips.

Tis true but would it not depend on how high up the rust goes on the door. ıf the rust is below the crease line (where the bump strips normally sit) then that would be easier to sort out.

Benn
12-01-09, 07:06 PM
Tis true but would it not depend on how high up the rust goes on the door. ıf the rust is below the crease line (where the bump strips normally sit) then that would be easier to sort out.

Doors are very thin and warp very easy. So its not the best way to do it.
And if you even remove the rub strip then you'll have to sand it off and fill till smooth. Alot more work than just putting a full skin on.

Jay
12-01-09, 07:20 PM
I did a skin on mine not so long ago.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e46/jays_nova/S1051146.jpg

Benn
12-01-09, 07:21 PM
Jay thats a lot of clag in that for a new skin, was it done with hammer and dolly or a "door skin "tool?

Jay
12-01-09, 07:30 PM
Door skin tool.

Benn
12-01-09, 07:31 PM
Ah, they suck..lol

Jay
12-01-09, 07:34 PM
Why? It has a bit of filler on it because it had a few dents in it.

brainsnova
12-01-09, 07:50 PM

dented before you fitted it?

Benn
12-01-09, 07:52 PM

Cause they tend to dent the skin, going by the filler along tyhe edges of the doors.

Jay
12-01-09, 07:53 PM
Oh right.

Benn
12-01-09, 07:55 PM
But as you had dents to fill it doesnt matter about a bit of filler.

Jay
12-01-09, 07:57 PM
But as you had dents to fill it doesnt matter about a bit of filler.

:thumb: Yea you know.

dj_wudgey
14-01-09, 02:04 PM
fook that im just going to buy some decent doors and have them painted looks less off a pain tbh

Jay
14-01-09, 06:32 PM
dented before you fitted it?

Yep nothing major of course, couldn't be arsed to send it back to beavers.

matt_vaughan
19-01-09, 08:06 PM
Jay do you have a pic of the other side?

Is it just the outer skin yer?

Jay
19-01-09, 08:10 PM
Yes just the skin, i could not afford £250 per door! And sorry no other pic.