PDA

View Full Version : Any bmw mini experts out there?

John
11-01-09, 07:49 PM
The wifes best friend has a 2003 bmw mini cooper, (1.6 16v, not s/c).
To cut a long story short it's loosing coolant, about 2-3 pints in 14days. I can't see any external leaks, so i'm presuming it's internal. Is there any known faults with these? Head gaskets prone to failure etc?
I will be fixing it as she's recently got married and money is tight for her. So could do with knowing as much as possible about these before hand!

Novasport
11-01-09, 08:37 PM
Thermostat housings, these things eat em like there is no tomorrow!
Also look out for a leaking right engine mount.
You need any info on em give me a shout, can even get the bits cheap for you if needed.
Rich

John
11-01-09, 08:39 PM
ta rich, i've told her to leave some cardboard under it, so we can see if we have an external leak. Will double check the stat housing when i next see it.
Gen me up on the leaking right engine mount?

Novasport
11-01-09, 08:54 PM
They are prone for it along with a massive list of other stuff! The engine mounts are fluid filled and usually leak sticky stuff everywhere.

Have you got a pressure tester for the cooling system? Also check the header tank, they can also split but its not unusual for Minis to use water with no faults but prob not that much. Oh, and they can be a bastid to bleed the cooling system.
Dont work much with Minis now thank god, they are not a nice car IMO.

Have you still got my mobile number, give me a call if you need any info. Can get you repair instructions if you need it.

bmw156
11-01-09, 08:59 PM
+rep for novasport, for useful information lol

amggsi
11-01-09, 09:02 PM
Dont work much with Minis now thank god, they are not a nice car IMO.

Some great info there!!

And as for that comment, I can agree with that, my sister got a Cooper S recently, and it's a complete nightmare to do anything on!!!

Mike
11-01-09, 09:02 PM
Liquid filled engine mounts? Thats a new one :S overengineered springs to mind lol

Novasport
11-01-09, 09:08 PM
+rep for novasport, for useful information lol

Thanks bud:thumb:

Liquid filled engine mounts? Thats a new one :S overengineered springs to mind lol

Lots of manufacturers use them including Vauxhall. I think its like a oil in them for damping.

Mike
11-01-09, 09:09 PM
Ah, didnt know that either lol but then again, im stuck in a time warp somewhere between 1980 and 1990 lol i struggle with technology :(

Novasport
11-01-09, 09:52 PM
John, has it ever had a clutch? They dont last long in these and its best part of a grand to replace it if it needs a flywheel aswell!
The clutch is tiny on em and its a full front end strip down and engine out to replace it:tard:

t45_ste
11-01-09, 09:59 PM
Top info. My brother has one thats been using water, will let him know. :thumb:

Rich
11-01-09, 10:00 PM
Sell sell sell lol!

Mike.
11-01-09, 11:14 PM
got to love these minis lol, at the dealership am at, were doing a thermostat housing almost everyday :roll: and the engine mounts were a daft idea lol

Novasport
12-01-09, 12:14 AM
What time can you do the clutches in then, lads here have got it down to a fine art!

Riggy
12-01-09, 04:18 PM
lol got asked other day from my misses mate , her mini uses alot of water lol ,

will have to look into it for her , saying that i think its still under warrenty , are they covered ?

John
12-01-09, 06:49 PM
Thanks for all your help here rich, it's due for service soon so i'll give it a good check over. Nope clutch has never been done iirc. It's had a complete exhaust on it though, the manifold cracked and failed mot, gen exhaust came to about £500! It had some rear suspension bushes replaced under warranty too.
She's one of those women thats mentally attatched to it though! She'll never sell it in a million years!

Novasport
12-01-09, 09:05 PM
lol got asked other day from my misses mate , her mini uses alot of water lol ,

will have to look into it for her , saying that i think its still under warrenty , are they covered ?

Yes its covered under the 3 year warranty, its also covered on the extended Mini warranty if it has one

Novasport
12-01-09, 09:08 PM
It's had a complete exhaust on it though, the manifold cracked and failed mot, gen exhaust came to about £500!

Yeah, they arent cheap. The back boxes seem to rot like hell, usually its just the outer casing but they do go completely. Its a full front to rear section aswell.

brainsnova
12-01-09, 09:14 PM
my mates got a top end fix a couple of valve springs had snapped on a low mileage cooper.

rallycraig
12-01-09, 11:10 PM
I've changed a few superchargers and power steering pumps over the years.
got one in tomorrow for an mot repair list, failed dismally on its first mot!!!

Novasport
12-01-09, 11:15 PM
I've changed a few superchargers and power steering pumps over the years.
got one in tomorrow for an mot repair list, failed dismally on its first mot!!!

Sounds about right, they are not the best for the money they fetch.