PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Gauge

Adam Moran
10-12-02, 07:44 AM
What does the Vacuum Gauge messure?? Also, does any one know will the Revotec 3 gauage pod fit on the top of a Mk2 dash?

Cheers

AJ

mikeoxford
10-12-02, 09:39 AM
as far as i am aware it measures the vacuum created in your manifold by something passing through.

which manifold, and why you would use it i dont know. shows back pressure in an engine im guessing.

sorry all that post is a bit vague but im sure someone will either disprove or have something better to say!!!

Dave_Hay
10-12-02, 11:05 AM
N/A cars runder under a constant vacuum. ie there is a vacuum of air going into the engine (inlet side). so the gaugue will measure how this vacuum is operating, ie above or below atmospheric pressure. (below cos of turbo taking time to spin up and loads of pipes from it to inlet) above cos the turbo running on so much boost above atmospheric pressure. no point for one on N/A engine cos the vacuum wouldnt change enough.

so im guessing you have a turbo, c20let? 1.5 td? why not just say boost gauge :P

everything will fit if you try hard enough :D

jamesburrows
10-12-02, 02:18 PM
Vacum gauges look great on a NA engine, they respond to the smallest change in throttle, you end up watching the gauge and not the road!
Also they can be used as a tuning aid for engines running cams etc.
well worth getting.

Dave_Hay
10-12-02, 02:52 PM
you sure?

must be a fecking accurate gauge=very expensive.

Adam Moran
10-12-02, 07:40 PM
Cheers Guys!!

Well i ant got a turbo thats for sure!! What is a N/A car??

i was getting 3 gauges for my car 1 Batt Display 2 Water Temp 3 Vacuum Gauge or Oil Temp.

Next question, could i fit this vacuum gauge to my 1.2i (how would i do it?)

Cheers

AJ

mikeoxford
11-12-02, 04:16 PM
i know you can get them on petrol carb cars

my dad had one on his old style mini back in the day

he showed me at a car show once, i bought this guage for the sake as it looked cool and was cheap, sat in the garage ever since!!!

as someone else says it should move loads when car is in use.

anyone any ideas?

i may fit it with another guage in a pod on the a post - make the car look a bit more turboey :twisted: