PDA

View Full Version : 3.0L throttle body

pob
11-01-09, 04:46 PM
Since discovering that a chip will cost the same amount as a fully programmable ecu I've been looking at what throttle body to use.

Before anyone says use ITB's, the engine isn't in a Nova its in a mini and I dont have enough room round the master cylinders and I cant be bothered to move them under the dash.

Anyway I'm welding up my own manifold and I plan to use a bigger tb than the standard 1.6 item.

Is it ok to use a tb from a 3.0L V6 or is it too big and will cause running problems by letting too much air in too quickly or would the 2.0L item be the better solution?

Welsh Dan
11-01-09, 05:22 PM
The standard 1.6 TB is good for around 150bhp, what are you aiming for?

pob
11-01-09, 06:03 PM
It's only the 8V c16se, so I was trying to get into the 140's.
If that's the case then I'll maybe drill holes for the 1.6 and then I'll try the 2.0L tb at a later date as its got the same hole centres.

As the hole centres are different for the 3.0L I was just wondering what the best set up would be so I can do it now rather than trying to change it later.

Welsh Dan
11-01-09, 10:24 PM
What are your other plans? Cam, headwork, bottom end, management+remap?

pob
12-01-09, 11:52 AM
yes as above.

As engine is ok, although it has 90K on it, I wasn't going to rebuild the bottom end just now. I was going to get everything going first and see how it went before rebuilding the bottom end.

This is an ongoing development for a car that only does 3000 miles a year.
The car would be "driven hard" at the weekend, rather than thrashed continuosly if you know what I mean.

I have a head and cam, and was going to use the programmable ecu rather than a chip.

So get head and cam on, with ecu. Then see how bottom end holds up and rebuild if necessary.

anyone here used a www.canems.co.uk (http://www.canems.co.uk) product?
to get rid of the rev limiter and change fuel I need to go for the full package?
£450 inculding a loom.

Stuart
12-01-09, 12:38 PM
looks like a "modded" megasquirt ecu...

The only problem you have there is that if no one is able to map it (ok any mapper should be able to but thats not what I'm getting at) then you might not get the results you want.

might be worthwhile looking for a used DTA/MBE setup should be the same cost, but lots of support for mapping, and as they are known brands etc the resale value will still be high making the overall cost lower. I cant see that canems ecu being worth much more than half its value immediately