PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 head on 1.3 block?

John
11-01-09, 09:08 AM
I've searched, and have not been able to find anything concrete. (i think i've personally asked before, but couldn't find it Lol)

Right, i have a good 1.3, with a fooked head (looks like its been skimmed with an angle grinder), and i also have a very good 1.2 with the same cathederal shaped ports. Will it fit ok on the 1.3 block, i presume i use the 1.3 gasket?
Also I'm planning on fitting a weber, and possibly some sort of better cam, is the 1.4 cam better than the 1.2/3?. Will it be ok to use with with the block/head combo?
Any help greatly appreciated!

Welsh Dan
11-01-09, 10:51 AM
The 1.4 carbed cam is better than the 1.2/1.3 ones, but has a different distributer drive on the end of it.

John
11-01-09, 10:59 AM
Thanks dan, so the 1.2 dizzy won't fit the 1.4 cam at all then? which other cam could i use instead?

General Baxter
11-01-09, 11:03 AM
it will have to be a 1.3, aftermarket (have both drives), or change the ignition system to a 1.4 set up :)

John
11-01-09, 11:56 AM
How about a 16sv cam? i know the 1.2 dizzy deffo fits this.

Novasport
11-01-09, 11:59 AM
Is this for your 1.2 GL? If so, use the 1.3 crank and rods with the original 1.2 block and pistons(I take it ts a 12ST) to create a 1.4.

matt_vaughan
11-01-09, 12:59 PM
How about a 16sv cam? i know the 1.2 dizzy deffo fits this.

That would be quite interesting. Rekon there's got to be plenty more lift than a 1.2 cam.

Apparently a 1.3 cam on a 1.2 gives around 5 bhp increase, so 16SV cam may be somewhere around there.

John
11-01-09, 03:58 PM
Is this for your 1.2 GL? If so, use the 1.3 crank and rods with the original 1.2 block and pistons(I take it ts a 12ST) to create a 1.4.

Yeah, will be downsizing if i keep it Lol. So are the 1.2/3 pistons the same do you know? Yeah its originally a 1.2st.

mowgli
11-01-09, 05:44 PM
Yeah, will be downsizing if i keep it Lol. So are the 1.2/3 pistons the same do you know? Yeah its originally a 1.2st.

the 1.3 is large stroke, small bore
the 1.2 is short stroke, large bore.

a 1.4 made this way has a 1.2 engine no. & every other part is interchangeable

the 1.2 & 1.3 heads are identical....

I did a 1.4 conversion in 1991 & it went very quickly. even on a 1.2 carb & inlet. but I did get the piston dishes machined down to give a reasonable compression ratio

John
11-01-09, 07:41 PM
So i use the 1.2st block, 1.3 pistons rods and crank, 1.2 head? Sounds tempting!

mowgli
11-01-09, 08:14 PM
So i use the 1.2st block, 1.3 pistons rods and crank, 1.2 head? Sounds tempting!

115mph (real not pub mph) 35mpg......no injection to annoy you.....

I am tempted to do it myself again

Novasport
11-01-09, 08:31 PM

Yes thats correct, I have not tried it myself but I assured it works by someone that has done it.
The 12ST is short stroke thats why they rev so well and the are a larger bore than the 13SB(Same as 1.4). So combine the longer stroke of the 1.3 added to the larger bore of the 1.2 and you have 1400CC:D .
Externally it looks standard aswell unles you fit twin carbs etc. The 1.2 head is actually different & I have been told its better but not sure if that is true.
I was also told a few years ago that a Sierra 1.8 carb fits(Poss a Pierburg?) and is good as twin 40's to a certain extent but not sure if thats correct.
Prob best to get a Weber carb meant for a 1.4SR if you can, should go quite well then.
Also whack in a F13CR with a 4.18 final drive in from your F10

mowgli
11-01-09, 08:35 PM
As I have already said, I got my pistons pocketted to lower the compression a bit. apart from that, it is really easy.

John
11-01-09, 08:35 PM
Yes thats correct, I have not tried it myself but I assured it works by someone that has done it.
The 12ST is short stroke thats why they rev so well and the are a larger bore than the 13SB(Same as 1.4). So combine the longer stroke of the 1.3 added to the larger bore of the 1.2 and you have 1400CC:D .
Externally it looks standard aswell unles you fit twin carbs etc. The 1.2 head is actually different & I have been told its better but not sure if that is true.
I was also told a few years ago that a Sierra 1.8 carb fits(Poss a Pierburg?) and is good as twin 40's to a certain extent but not sure if thats correct.
Prob best to get a Weber carb meant for a 1.4SR if you can, should go quite well then.
Also whack in a F13CR with a 4.18 final drive in from your F10

Thanks rich, most helpful as usual! I have both engines sat in the shed, so won't cost me anything to do. I'll use a 1.3 inlet with a twin choke weber on. What'll the 4.18 fd give, better acceleration?

John
11-01-09, 08:36 PM
As I have already said, I got my pistons pocketted to lower the compression a bit. apart from that, it is really easy.

Don't suppose you can remember how much you removed?

novaxe235
11-01-09, 08:43 PM
Thanks rich, most helpful as usual! I have both engines sat in the shed, so won't cost me anything to do. I'll use a 1.3 inlet with a twin choke weber on. What'll the 4.18 fd give, better acceleration?yes thats right better acceleration

mowgli
11-01-09, 09:06 PM
Don't suppose you can remember how much you removed?

I took about 5mm from the crown out. but it was 17 years ago & I'd measured the thickness of an old head gasket, the crown volume & the head volume then calculated the compression ratio. it came out quite high & I worked out what volume was needed to get 10:1 & got a engineering shop to machine them. they never charged me for doing it because they wanted no comeback.... I will try & find the diameter out for the machining, it was based on stock pistons, and (amazingly) a photo in a back issue of CCC mag feature on tuning baby vauxhalls.

I have looked up the piston catalogue specs. the 1200 piston has a flat outer lip. that is the limit of where to machine it. the valve cutouts are at about 4.5mm depth. I remember that the cutouts were removed so the 5mm figure is about right. I got the engineer to put a nice radius in the corner so it would have been about 2mm.

Novasport
11-01-09, 09:13 PM
I took about 5mm from the crown out. but it was 17 years ago & I'd measured the thickness of an old head gasket, the crown volume & the head volume then calculated the compression ratio. it came out quite high & I worked out what volume was needed to get 10:1 & got a engineering shop to machine them. they never charged me for doing it because they wanted no comeback.... I will try & find the diameter out for the machining, it was based on stock pistons, and (amazingly) a photo in a back issue of CCC mag feature on tuning baby vauxhalls.

I would be interested in finding out more info on that CCC feature aswell

Thanks rich, most helpful as usual! I have both engines sat in the shed, so won't cost me anything to do. I'll use a 1.3 inlet with a twin choke weber on. What'll the 4.18 fd give, better acceleration?

Yes that FD will give a better accelleration, the F13 & 4.18 FD will give the same ratios as an F15CR from a Corsa Sport so you can use either.

Wish I had kept my 12ST from the 28k mile swing I broke, and the bloody bump strips I now need for the SR!!!

mowgli
11-01-09, 09:25 PM
it was based on a conversion done by peter maiden components from tamworth. they were the men when it came to nova tuning in the late eighties. there was a copy on ebay a year or so ago, but I never got it...

Novasport
11-01-09, 09:26 PM
Do you know the issue number?

Dirtydog1
11-01-09, 09:32 PM
would it not be more benificial to keep the higher compression?
it seems like you guys know what your talking about though.
ive just bult a 1.6se block with a 1.4se head on, the compression is immense, goes well with carbs on though!

Novasport
11-01-09, 09:46 PM
I think the machining is more to do with piston to valve clearance to prvent the pistons smashing into the valves due to the increased stroke.

mowgli
11-01-09, 10:05 PM
I think the machining is more to do with piston to valve clearance to prvent the pistons smashing into the valves due to the increased stroke.

no, the valve cutouts are pretty much the same on the 1.2 & 1.3. I just couldn't see the point in running a road car on more than 10:1cr & I did 50 odd thousand miles with no troubles, then I got offered a gte engine & couldn't resist sticking it in, so I sold the lump to a bloke for his astra van..

matt_vaughan
11-01-09, 10:08 PM
An issue number would be good to find out for this CCC feature cause I will probably have it. Dad used to buy them all the time, and we have a massive pile of em. I also remember reading about it when flicking through some old CCCs sometime a while ago. I could get it scanned at dad's work for everyone.

Sloth
11-01-09, 10:08 PM
would it not be more benificial to keep the higher compression?
it seems like you guys know what your talking about though.
ive just bult a 1.6se block with a 1.4se head on, the compression is immense, goes well with carbs on though!

is this right? and if so what about the 1.2 head on the 1.6?

Welsh Dan
11-01-09, 10:22 PM

Shouldnt that read the 12ST block and pistons, 1.3 crank and rods?

Dirtydog1
11-01-09, 10:23 PM
is this right? and if so what about the 1.2 head on the 1.6?

yes all small block stuff is inter-changeable (i love it)
no idea what would happen if you put 1.2 on 1.6, the compression on mine is mental as it is. lots of people use 14nz block with the 1.3 sr heads for a twin 40 set up.
that 1.3 piston in a 1.2 block set up sounds intresting though! :thumb:

Novasport
11-01-09, 10:26 PM
I am wondering what a 1.2 crank in a 1.6 would be like, it would be a proper buzzy little engine. Destroked 1600 prob down to about 1400 CC maybe, over square is it called?

Sloth
11-01-09, 10:30 PM
i heard that a 1.2 on a 1.6 gives a 13.7 to 1 cr, now on e85 ethanol, and megasquirt, well.... i reckon it will de stroke it and make it very revvy

matt_vaughan
11-01-09, 10:32 PM
I am wondering what a 1.2 crank in a 1.6 would be like, it would be a proper buzzy little engine. Destroked 1600 prob down to about 1400 CC maybe, over square is it called?

Yer, would rev nicely, but Im sure you'd end up with cam and fueling problems without mucking around. Perhaps a 285 cam might fix things?

mowgli
11-01-09, 10:36 PM
An issue number would be good to find out for this CCC feature cause I will probably have it. Dad used to buy them all the time, and we have a massive pile of em. I also remember reading about it when flicking through some old CCCs sometime a while ago. I could get it scanned at dad's work for everyone.

unfortunately, I'd have to guess it was from around 1988.

matt_vaughan
11-01-09, 10:39 PM
ahhhhh way to long ago then, may be an off chance we have it, but doubt it.

Dirtydog1
11-01-09, 10:40 PM

i have a 1.2 sitting at work, are the ports no to small though? i use the 1.4 se head as the ports are fairly large and round to suit the inlet. had a bit of head work done aswell.
i may have a swap around if it will imrope the performance.
has anyone tried it?

matt_vaughan
11-01-09, 10:56 PM
Ports are smaller but IIRC they flow better on 1.2 head.
If I was to do the 1.6 bottom end with 1.2 crank (short) I would probably use the 1.2 head, 1.3 Cam, 1.3 inlet & manifold (same inlet ports as 1.2).

Would scream to the moon, but Im sure there would be problems.

Novasport
11-01-09, 10:57 PM
i have a 1.2 sitting at work, are the ports no to small though? i use the 1.4 se head as the ports are fairly large and round to suit the inlet. had a bit of head work done aswell.
i may have a swap around if it will imrope the performance.
has anyone tried it?

You probably have the later 1.2 engine, you need the earlier 12ST engine

mowgli
11-01-09, 11:31 PM
ahhhhh way to long ago then, may be an off chance we have it, but doubt it.

that was when novas were new!!!!!

Dod
12-01-09, 10:21 AM
Sorry to Hijack, but I'm looking at this and making a shopping list up.

1.2 ST Engine
1.3 Crank, Rods and Pistons
Weber 32/34 Carb?
1.4 SR Cam?

Are the cam and carb up too the job?

John
12-01-09, 08:19 PM
Sorry to Hijack, but I'm looking at this and making a shopping list up.

1.2 ST Engine
1.3 Crank, Rods and Pistons
Weber 32/34 Carb?
1.4 SR Cam?

Are the cam and carb up too the job?

Lol, you and me both fella, this thread is turning out to be v v informative!

So just to clarify, do you use the 1.2 or 1.3 pistons? are they the same?

Dod
12-01-09, 08:30 PM
1.3 Pistons, rods and crank. :)

John
12-01-09, 08:32 PM
cool, looks like i'll be gutting the innards out of the 1.2 at the weekend then!

keep me updated if you decide to have a go dod!

Dod
12-01-09, 08:37 PM
I will be, no ifs or buts. Theres even gonna be a 1400 with a 1300cc head on it as well. Just need a spare 1400 engine now. lol

mowgli
12-01-09, 08:45 PM
Lol, you and me both fella, this thread is turning out to be v v informative!

So just to clarify, do you use the 1.2 or 1.3 pistons? are they the same?

you use 1.2 pistons, they are 78mm. (the 1.3 ones are 75mm)

you use the 1.3 crank & rods.

you use the 1.2 head gasket

everything else interchanges....

Now, when I did it, I had the 1.3 rebored out to fit the 1.2 pistons, the crank was reground, and the head skimmed. I cleaned everything up & fitted a new oil pump kit & all seals. I also rebuilt it in my bedroom, this is bad for 2 reasons, 1. my mum went ballistic, 2. it weighs a hell of a lot when you try to carry it downstairs.

Dirtydog1
12-01-09, 09:35 PM
im gunna have a go at sticking the 1.2 st crank and rods in my 1.6se, i take it you use the 1.6 pistons though as the 1.2's are smaller?

Novasport
12-01-09, 09:44 PM
Yes you would need to retain the 1.6 pistons. I have not got a clue if it would work so unless you dont mind risking turning it all to scrap I would do some measurements first. Good luck though and let me know how you get on.

Now, when I did it, I had the 1.3 rebored out to fit the 1.2 pistons, the crank was reground, and the head skimmed. I cleaned everything up & fitted a new oil pump kit & all seals. I also rebuilt it in my bedroom, this is bad for 2 reasons, 1. my mum went ballistic, 2. it weighs a hell of a lot when you try to carry it downstairs.

Was there much meat in the 13SB block, I was thinking if I could take it out to 78.8mm!!!!

mowgli
12-01-09, 09:46 PM
im gunna have a go at sticking the 1.2 st crank and rods in my 1.6se, i take it you use the 1.6 pistons though as the 1.2's are smaller?

one question, WHY?????????????????????????

they won't actually fit.

apart from the external dimensions being the same, all the internals are different on the 2 engines.......

the 12 st & 13s are basically the same engine, the little ends etc are the same...

the 1.4, 1.6 & later 1.2 (nv) are basically the same & the bits don't interchange with the older engines unless you are planning some serious modifications.

what is your planned outcome from doing what you propose??????????????/

mowgli
12-01-09, 09:47 PM
Yes you would need to retain the 1.6 pistons. I have not got a clue if it would work so unless you dont mind risking turning it all to scrap I would do some measurements first. Good luck though and let me know how you get on.

Was there much meat in the 13SB block, I was thinking if I could take it out to 78.8mm!!!!

it has been bored out to about 1500cc with max oversize 1200 pistons

Novasport
12-01-09, 09:59 PM
it has been bored out to about 1500cc with max oversize 1200 pistons

:D :D :D

mowgli
12-01-09, 10:05 PM
download the klobenschmidt piston catalogue from here

http://www.msi-motor-service.com/content1.asp?News_ID=1179&changelang=03&area=hauptmenue&site=archiv&cls=03

then you have all of the piston specs for OE pistons

It makes interesting reading for anyone planning engine mods...

their uk agent is : http://www.elringparts.co.uk/

Novasport
12-01-09, 10:22 PM
Do you know if any other Vauxhall valves fit the 13SB head to increase the valve size?

rallycraig
12-01-09, 10:23 PM
Built one of these about 8 years ago for my rally car, a right little screamer.

i used....

a 1300 block

a set of 4 standard size 1200 pistons (i used a mahle ones, almost a flat top piston)

1300 crank

steel rods

arp rod bolts

have it all lightened and balanced

big valve head

kent ast2 cam

vernier pulley

and most importantly of all, a new oil pump!!!!

run it on a pair of twin 40's

quaife sccr f20 box (f10's & f13's break easily)

and you will have a very very quick little car (and it gets cheap road tax!!)

Novasport
12-01-09, 10:42 PM
Good evening, how are ya?
Where you get the Mahle pistons & steel rods from and how much were they?

Also read something you posted a while back about using big shafts on an F13, can you change the planet gears?!? in the diff to accept big block inner CV's?

rallycraig
12-01-09, 10:57 PM
evening chap, i got the mahle pistons from qes, but they closed down a few years ago, you can still buy a simular piston, but its dished like standard, but still an excellent quality. but if your gonna build a good engine, dont buy cheap pistons etc, seen many piston crowns become detached before. I have a friend who brings the rods in from abroad (does pistons too), very nice indeed, and they come with arp bolts, had a set for a rally spec c20xe i built a few months ago, £350 for rods and bolts. i'll find out a price on a set.

i had tom at gripper make me a set of f10/f13 side gears for my lsd with a f20 spline. (hockley makes them for a zf diff) then had diff housing machined to accept the f20 inner cv's. the n/s inner f20 cv needs tapering to fit the diff retaining cup, still keeps the standard oil seals. shafts from a guy in sheffield, group A hubs from me.

not snapped a shaft or shattered a cv in three years now!!! i was breaking one on every event before.

Novasport
12-01-09, 11:11 PM
If you could get a price on the rods that would be good. What sort of power can the standard rods take and is there much you can do with them like de-seaming or shot peening? Dont think I'll be giving it enough stress to need to go too over the top with stuff.

Novasport
12-01-09, 11:18 PM
Doesnt seem to be much tuning stuff about for small blocks anymore unless its a baby XE.

rallycraig
12-01-09, 11:42 PM
i'll give him a call during the week, im after some puma bits at the moment.

i know lads who run standard rods, that have been shot peened, and had the L&B bottom ends and are revving them to 8.5k with no probs. seen a few standard rods let go and damage exhaust manifolds on their way out!

if your building a high revving engine, upgrade or change your flywheel bolts, having one of these leave your gearbox at 8k aint funny!! rips through the front x member like a buzz saw!

garyc
13-01-09, 08:37 AM
if your looking for std Mahle pistons try www.allittmotorsport.co.uk (http://www.allittmotorsport.co.uk) especially if you have the part numbers. I've sold a few rods and a crank to someone on here wanting to do the same. I dont have any left now though!

Dirtydog1
13-01-09, 11:23 AM
one question, WHY?????????????????????????

they won't actually fit.

apart from the external dimensions being the same, all the internals are different on the 2 engines.......

the 12 st & 13s are basically the same engine, the little ends etc are the same...

the 1.4, 1.6 & later 1.2 (nv) are basically the same & the bits don't interchange with the older engines unless you are planning some serious modifications.

what is your planned outcome from doing what you propose??????????????/

to be honest i have no idea why i want to do it lol
having read the post's on here it sounded like someone had already done it, but i may have read something wrong.
i want to make my engine revvier and i thought it sounded like a good idea if all the 1.2 stuff fitted. but as you have now pointed out that it wont fit without serious modding, i probably wont bother.especially as the outcome is unknown. cheers :thumb:

John
13-01-09, 08:00 PM
This thread gets better! (Apart from /\)
Just been out in the garage, i deffo have a 12st and a 13sb so things look good.
Mowgli, how easy is it to get the gudgeon pins out? what's the best method? never really done much piston swapping. Is it worth matching the rods/having them peened whilst they're out? How much approx do peeps reckon it would cost to get the bottom end (crank i presume) balanced/lightened?

Novasport
13-01-09, 08:05 PM
http://www.autosprint.co.uk/?p=p_42

Have a look here John, they are very good & I think Craig has used them for some stuff before.
£85 seems reasonable for balancing.

John
13-01-09, 08:09 PM
Excellent stuff rich! Yep that deffo seems reasonable for a balance! And not that far away either. I presume bottom end must be completely assembled first.

Novasport
13-01-09, 08:10 PM
to be honest i have no idea why i want to do it lol
having read the post's on here it sounded like someone had already done it, but i may have read something wrong.
i want to make my engine revvier and i thought it sounded like a good idea if all the 1.2 stuff fitted. but as you have now pointed out that it wont fit without serious modding, i probably wont bother.especially as the outcome is unknown. cheers :thumb:

You may be able to use crank and rods from a later 1.2 or 1.4 engine as they are more likely to fit. the later 1.2's are a smaller bore that a 1.3 with a longer stroke.

Dirtydog1
13-01-09, 11:10 PM
You may be able to use crank and rods from a later 1.2 or 1.4 engine as they are more likely to fit. the later 1.2's are a smaller bore that a 1.3 with a longer stroke.

cheers for the advice, think im going to open my own thread on this if i decide to have a go, kind of gate crashing this thread and people are getting upset :cry:

mowgli
14-01-09, 07:46 AM
cheers for the advice, think im going to open my own thread on this if i decide to have a go, kind of gate crashing this thread and people are getting upset :cry:

we are not getting upset, we just don't want to see someone take 2 perfectly good engines apart & try to make one engine that won't be any use....

Dod
14-01-09, 11:16 AM
John mate, you started yours yet?

I've decided as I have a 1.2, 1.3 and a 1.4 to build 2 engines.

1.2 with 1.3 internals and a 1.4 Cam

1.4 with a 1.3 head and a 1.4 Cam

I'm assuming this is right? Or is the 1.6 Cam of any more use than the 1400 item?

Novasport
14-01-09, 11:59 AM
check the Haynes manual to see which cam has the best spec. check the supplements and revisions section in the back for 1.4 & 1.6 specs

John
14-01-09, 07:57 PM
John mate, you started yours yet?

I've decided as I have a 1.2, 1.3 and a 1.4 to build 2 engines.

1.2 with 1.3 internals and a 1.4 Cam

1.4 with a 1.3 head and a 1.4 Cam

I'm assuming this is right? Or is the 1.6 Cam of any more use than the 1400 item?

No not yet, should be having a go at the weekend. Think the problems with cams arise due to the dizzy drive slots in the end of the cams. I need to use the best cam that will work with the 1.2 dizzy. i have an ols 16nv (carb fed mk3 cav engine) that i know definately fits the 1.2 dizzy, so i'm gonna do a bit of research into using that.:thumb:

Dod
14-01-09, 08:01 PM
But aren't the dizzy to cam ends interchangable? I've seen nv Dizzy run on GTE Nova Cams, and all that was done was the ends swapped round.

John
14-01-09, 08:12 PM
Yeah true, i think the probs arrive with c14/16se cams, and different make dizzys ie bosch/lucas. As i've never tried it i can't really comment yet though. Which dizzy to you intend to run?

Dod
14-01-09, 08:26 PM
Piff, **** knows yet, I need to see what I have in the garage but I think like you, 16nv and the 12st set up.

Dirtydog1
15-01-09, 11:35 AM
we are not getting upset, we just don't want to see someone take 2 perfectly good engines apart & try to make one engine that won't be any use....

hence the reason i was asking :thumb:

and as i said further back in the thread, i only asked as i thought someone else had written about doing it and i was intreeged. as it happens im not going to bother im going to build up the 1.2 and leave the 1.6 as it is.

thanks

Novasport
15-01-09, 01:20 PM
The thing is is if everyone had the attitude 'ah, that wont fit!' then we wouldnt find out about good mods and have the modified cars like we have now(ie, XE & LET conversions). i say have a go, you might end up with a cracking revvy little engine!

mowgli
15-01-09, 10:20 PM
The thing is is if everyone had the attitude 'ah, that wont fit!' then we wouldnt find out about good mods and have the modified cars like we have now(ie, XE & LET conversions). i say have a go, you might end up with a cracking revvy little engine!

I just looked up the c16se & the 12s (the later version) in the big boring piston book & there really is no point doing it for the following reason.....

they both have the same bore, so it would still be a 1.2........

also the gudgeon pins don't fit between the 1600 & the old 1200

Novasport
20-01-09, 10:26 PM
Just had a delivery today, a set of brand new 1mm oversize pistons for a 12ST:D Will overbore a 13SB block and that should give me a CC of 1432cc :thumb:. A bargain at only £20 for the set of four!!

Andy_L
21-01-09, 12:55 PM
Sorry for being a 'tard but what are 12ST and 13SB engines? From MK1 Novas I'm assuming?

mowgli
21-01-09, 02:32 PM
Sorry for being a 'tard but what are 12ST and 13SB engines? From MK1 Novas I'm assuming?

12st is a mk1 1.2
13sb is a mk1 1.3

John
21-01-09, 09:12 PM
Just had a delivery today, a set of brand new 1mm oversize pistons for a 12ST:D Will overbore a 13SB block and that should give me a CC of 1432cc :thumb:. A bargain at only £20 for the set of four!!

Cool, where from rich?

John
18-04-09, 10:06 AM
Perhaps this thread needs to be stickied? how to make a 1.4 high comp of out of 1.2?

Dod
18-04-09, 10:14 AM
I agree. Its definately an interesting thread if nothing else.

John
18-04-09, 10:15 AM
Lol, did you ever have a go at yours Dod? I've dug my 1.2 out but that's as far as it got!

jimbob-mcgrew
18-04-09, 11:24 AM
id say stick with your original plan john, would make a more reliable engine, that'l take a good thrashing.

complete 1300 bottom end
1200 head
1300 cam (means no faffing about with swapping ignition systems and u allready have it at your disposal)

slap it all together with a 1300 head gasket and that flash carb u were talkin about, and a 4 branch manifold would complement the whole setup. it'd probably be almost 90 bhp mark when finished.

edit : to seal the deal, a real short ratio final drive in your gearbox, youll have no top end what so ever, but it would accelerate hard !

mowgli
18-04-09, 12:02 PM
id say stick with your original plan john, would make a more reliable engine, that'l take a good thrashing.

cobblers, my 1400 did 90000miles then got sold to a bloke to put into an astramax...

complete 1300 bottom end
1200 head
1300 cam (means no faffing about with swapping ignition systems and u allready have it at your disposal)

the 1200 & 1300 setups are interchangeable and pretty much identical

slap it all together with a 1300 head gasket and that flash carb u were talkin about, and a 4 branch manifold would complement the whole setup. it'd probably be almost 90 bhp mark when finished.

edit : to seal the deal, a real short ratio final drive in your gearbox, youll have no top end what so ever, but it would accelerate hard !

unless you do some serious head work or the 1300 cam is replaced by a hi lift sport type cam then you will get about 75hp

the 1400 will give about 85-90 on a std 1200 cam & carb and will be reliable

as for the gearbox idea, fine for forest rallying but an absolute pain for any form of road use. you would have to change gear 3 times before 60mph, which is just annoying. the 1400 will pull from 15-115mph in top, I did it.

John
18-04-09, 12:15 PM
If i do it, i'll use a kent ast 1 cam. (270 deg iirc)

mowgli
18-04-09, 12:20 PM
fair enough