PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 8v

DW-Nova
10-01-09, 07:34 PM
Hello all, after much thought on what to do with my Nova i have decided that firstly i need to get a move on with it and get it done ! (it's currentley in bits) and secondly engine wise i'm going to stick with the 1.4 8v, i firstly was going to put a 20xe in, then decided to go for a saab 2.0 turbo, then had thoughts of a cdti, then i bought a x16xe then finally thought nah i'll keep the 1.4 8v it had originally, I've decided to keep this as firstly it's there ready, it's got 54k on, the car went quite well with it standard and when i saw the size and weight of the big blocks i couldnt belive it ! lastly i'm 20 so insurance would be an issue.

well to the point, what dose everybody suggest i do with it ? i'm thinking R1 carbs and rebuilding it from scratch, can anybody reccomend con-rods, pistons and a cam ? will i be ok to stay with hydraulic lifters ? and regarding the cylinder head whats my best option as i've heard an SRI head would be the best ? or should i get my one done ? lastly it's a 1991 engine and if i think correctley it has a auto cambelt tensioner, i've been reccomended to bin this set-up. Any suggestions at all please input, thanks in advance everybody.

DW-Nova
12-01-09, 09:00 PM
Anybody got any suggestions/help ?

matt_vaughan
12-01-09, 11:28 PM
R1 carbs will be basically the same as sticking Twin 40s on, so a decent exhaust manifold and maybe a better cam would give a much better response from the carbs.

DW-Nova
12-01-09, 11:32 PM
cheers mate, yeh i'm thinking of a total rebuild, i.e. rods, pistons new bearings etc, can anybody reccomend a cam ? whats the best options for my manifold too ? help greatley appreciated, cheers.

Nova_Tek
13-01-09, 12:45 PM
Sounds like you finally made your mind up. Its nice to see that you're sticking with your current engine seeing as a lot of PNG'ers tend to go for a big block setup, including myself lol.

Id personally go for proper performance exhaust system, properly setup induction kit, some cams and if you are gonna be taking the engine apart then go for a ported and polished head maybe a lightened flywheel balanced crank etc.

That should be nice to drive on some good suspension as it will be nice and light.

Can't really coment on what particular parts to use.

DW-Nova
15-01-09, 09:59 PM
Yeh finally made my mind up ! yeh the little 1.4 was good fun and nice and light too :) engine is going to be done properley yeh, i have been advised that it's a waste of time to mess around with the bottom end but i think i'm going to, just for the assurance as it's going to get alot of abuse ! revs revs revs lol Plan so far is:

Balanced crank
H-beam Con rods
Up-rated pistons
Flowed head
Lightend flywheel
Bike carbs
up-rated cam & pulley
Obviously going to be all re-built with new bearings, oil pump, re-build the head totally with new lifters & springs (a mate has suggested using diesel valve springs ?) going to run on bike carbs as said above and hopefully get the block decked to heighten the compression ratio, should put out a good bit of power ? i'm aiming for around 130bhp, is this realistic ? any help, suggestions and links etc greatley appriciated, cheers.