PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh!! Emergency

gtachorley
07-01-09, 10:58 PM
Oh No!!!,

Driving to the shop and some nob in a Rover flew past me (what a dick I thought), followed by a 5 door 106 with like 10 people in it, so i thought balls to this come on 1.0 and put me foot down, they were disapperaring into the distance (much as expected) when a Honda pulled out in front of me I locked up and spanked a phat kerb.

Now the wheels are still straight, steering doesnt pull either way (good news) however the steering wheel is at a 180 angle and the steering seems really light especially turning left.

Can anyone shed any light or had a similar exprience, need to drive to work tomorrow so really need any advice as to fixing the prob (hence the emergency element and the post in general).

Also before anyone else mentions it i am aware I am a dick for trying to race and should have left em to it, I am bollocking myself as we speak :(

Rory

All Help Welcome!!

General Baxter
07-01-09, 11:00 PM
i had this on my TD, really light steering, turned out the tie rod, pulled away from the cross member

do the wheels look in there 'normal' position in the arches ?

let_nova
07-01-09, 11:01 PM
although the wheels are straight the steering can still be disturbed. are the def still straight? you have prob bent a bottom arm poss steering rack.

let_nova
07-01-09, 11:02 PM
or also as mr baxter says.

General Baxter
07-01-09, 11:02 PM
tbh, i would not drive it, phone in sick, have a good look round it :)

let_nova
07-01-09, 11:04 PM
2 threads?

gtachorley
07-01-09, 11:07 PM
Wheels seem at a slight inward angle (not sure if they were before) and there were no real big crunch noises so hoping nothing is bent, how do I check the tie rod (bit of a novice) presume just jack the front up and have a look underneath in the day light might enlighten me to the prob.

gtachorley
07-01-09, 11:08 PM
As Well cheers for the quick reply much appreciated, no chance of a day off work would love that :roll: dont wanna piss em off with all this crunchy credit about

+ 1 rep Mr Baxter

paddy138
07-01-09, 11:11 PM
something is probaly bent wishbone or track rod arm

let_nova
07-01-09, 11:13 PM
open bonnet and look at the lower front panel where the tie rod joins look for splits etc.

General Baxter
07-01-09, 11:18 PM
heres mine, opps lol

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/baxters83/novatd/IM000391.jpg

Dod
07-01-09, 11:21 PM
Serves you right for Chavin.

craig green
07-01-09, 11:21 PM
A better prod & stare in daylight should highlight the issue.

Hope you get it sorted (cheaply & easily).

Pistol Pete
07-01-09, 11:23 PM
Agree with Dod, but we have all done it at some point.

Check your steering rack. I did a similar thing many moons ago and broke the rack. Failing that could be lower arm, tie rod or at worst a split cross member.

Good luck.

Rich
07-01-09, 11:27 PM
Race? 1.0? Didnt know you could put them 2 together lol

If the steeing wheel its out you've probaly bent somthing, cant really do much to help from my keyboard. Just get a look underneath, and compare one side to the other so you can see if anythings different

Mainly check lower arms, suspension legs, steering arms, tie bars etc

gtachorley
07-01-09, 11:40 PM
I agree with dod an all, feel like a proper tit what did I expect the 1.0 to suddenly rear up and destroy all opponents ith it 44bhp lol

gtachorley
07-01-09, 11:42 PM
If its just a bit bent any chance I can just hammer it straight rather than replace just to get me to work and back till weekend.

gtachorley
07-01-09, 11:42 PM
Ohy I am getting silly now ill just have a look in the morning and keep me fingers crossed

Dod
07-01-09, 11:54 PM
Well you lived and learned. Dont be a Chav again. Get it jacked up and have a proper look. Anything suspect, photograph it and post it up.

Jack
08-01-09, 08:14 AM
2 threads?
With the power of special mod glue, I've stuck them both together.

Shaun_O'Donnell
08-01-09, 08:47 AM
I done something very similar years ago, enough to render a Cavalier GSI wheel useless and the only damage to the car was the lower arm. Just got a lower arm and tie from the breakers, fitted and got alignment checked - Sorted.

Let us know how you get on.

jimbob-mcgrew
08-01-09, 12:58 PM
what happened ? your 1.0 shoulda had them for breakfast !

should check your front wheels for balance on a machine, the impacted ones most prob buckled, or if your lucky, just outta balance.

so many people on ebay and alike selling bent / buckled wheels from low speed impacts like that. theyre not as strong as people think.

General Baxter
14-01-09, 10:50 PM
come on then, what broke lol