PDA

View Full Version : Painting Inner Arches

Matt
07-01-09, 07:59 PM
I'm looking to paint the inner arches on my Nova white to match the car. Is it possible to get Polar white paint that can be applied using a brush? Or would it be ok just to use some Hammerite smooth paint instead? Not sure if the two shades of white would be noticable and look a bit dodgy if I used Hammerite though, anyone tried this before?

Benn
07-01-09, 08:10 PM
Hammeright is the easiest way.
Wouldnt think you'll notice the different at all.

Wire brust the dirt off, then yeah paint on with a paint brush. Two/three coats will do it nice.
Buit the car does need to be bone and i mean bonme dry before you paint them.

Matt
07-01-09, 09:21 PM
Ok cheers, think I'll just get a big can of Hammerite then. The cars been dry for a couple of weeks now so should be fine.

craig green
07-01-09, 09:27 PM
Any moisture will get trapped under the paint, hence why its gotta be dry.

Benn
07-01-09, 09:32 PM
As i and Craig said, the longer it can be left to dry the better.

L14MNP
07-01-09, 09:37 PM
If you're gonna do it, do it right - if you can be arsed that is lol. Remove all the old underseal and apply stone chip then body coloured paint. Failing that as wingus and dingus above say, make sure it is 110% bone dry!

R1CH
07-01-09, 09:46 PM
Just get some heaters fired up in the garage, sure your old lass wouldn't mind !!
lol

Benn
07-01-09, 09:53 PM
If you're gonna do it, do it right - if you can be arsed that is lol. Remove all the old underseal and apply stone chip then body coloured paint. Failing that as wingus and dingus above say, make sure it is 110% bone dry!

The under seal used is better then the off the shelf stonechip, as most off the shelf stonechip can shrink as it drys, and can flake and come off easily.
So you are much better off leaving the std stuff on and painting over it when its dry.

Anless you are gonna buy a 2pac under body sealer. Which you cant walk in to halfords and buy..

L14MNP
07-01-09, 10:00 PM
I don't like old underseal it hides a multitude of sins lol

I know you're in that game though so appreciate what you're saying dude

Matt
07-01-09, 10:05 PM
Yep, I'll stick a couple of fan heaters in there overnight or something and just wack the paint straight on top of the original underseal stuff, I'm sure it'll be absolutely fine. Just reading through one of Kieths old threads and he looks to have done the same...

Yesterday I steam cleaned the entire floor and inner arches of the nova. Then I sponge washed out any left over dirt and left it to dry overnight.
Then me and dad set about painting them with some brush on paint we had made up to the proper colour.
Always wanted to do this and so glad its turned out so well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/keithrobinson/unpainted1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/keithrobinson/painted1.jpg

Looks good to me.

krobinson
07-01-09, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I steam cleaned them, then washed out with a sponge and hot water, let it in the garage for a week, then did it.