PDA

View Full Version : Help with x16xe, do i need a new engine?

BIGS
07-01-09, 05:41 PM
Right so here is the problem, was driving it just a moment ago and the oil light came on. so as soon as it came on i drove to get some oil which is only 2 miles to get there. bought some oil and put it in then next thing i know all off it came right out of the bottom. then had alook in the header tank and no water is in there. So went to start it to drive 3 meters out the way and it wouldnt start :mad:. So could it be the engine is seazed :confused:

gazsnova
07-01-09, 05:53 PM
did the engine turn over freely? like it would just before it starts? or did not even turn over?

Andy
07-01-09, 05:55 PM
when an engine is seized,it will have been very hot,and when you go to start it it wont turn over.The starter makes a clicking noise like when the battery is dead

Adam
07-01-09, 05:59 PM
You filled it with oil but it came straight out the bottom? WTF?
Got a hole in the block/sump?

BIGS
07-01-09, 06:14 PM
It didnt turn over, was like when you take a ht off and it wont start or like andy said, Im hoping its just a hole in the sump.

gazsnova
07-01-09, 06:23 PM
best get the inspection lamp out and have a look see under the engine. best of luck bud.

Riggy
07-01-09, 11:56 PM
ive had my oil fileter pierced before , didnt even know untill i parked up and seen the oil trail lol, looked under car and something must have bounced up and put a hole in the filter lol , i just drove to halfords and fitted a new one on there car park lol

BIGS
08-01-09, 12:07 AM
well i hope mine is as simple as that, think i might need a new sump tho

Riggy
08-01-09, 12:15 AM
yeah hope so dude

Jack
08-01-09, 08:04 AM
My filter was a banana shape recently as well, and the seal had split - same thing, oil was running out almost like water.

However, even with no oil it should turn over, unless like you say it has seized. Surely you'd notice the temperature going sky high before it seized if it was due to no oil though?

[edit] Is the oil light on a Nova for pressure, or level?

16v Nova Kev
08-01-09, 10:11 AM
if he had no water in the header tank it may have over heated but the gauge may not have sown the engine runnng hot. if you know wit a meanlol

MC
08-01-09, 04:34 PM
If the oil light ever comes on you should turn the engine off immediately. It is a warning to say that there is insufficient oil pressure and if this happens, you will **** things up rapidly. It is not a level warning and doesn't mean drive carefully till you can fill it up. The lack of oil and seizing engine probably caused the water to boil away.

Adam
08-01-09, 04:41 PM
If you see the light come on when driving, your basically f**ked as you have about 5psi oil pressure.

craig green
08-01-09, 05:14 PM
What has happened with this then?

Sounds to me like BIGS didnt hear it throw a rod! :roll:

BIGS
08-01-09, 05:57 PM
Well havent had a look as yet, im waiting for ck to come down and we are going to have a look at the engine.It hasnt thrown a rod i know what that sounds like lol. And it was still running right up untill i turned it off

mayhem
08-01-09, 06:39 PM
lol my xe with a fist size hole in the sump did run great to.. but when youre in 2nd gear, in the rain, and fully open it up and it wont spin.. then you know its focked

BIGS
09-01-09, 04:44 PM
Hmm ive had alook and the sump isnt cracked or got a hole well sort of. Its ripped the sump plug out so thats why the oil came right out. So just need to get a new sump fitted and see what damage ive done to the engine. lets just hope the engine is fine and im a lucky git

Andy
09-01-09, 04:56 PM
Youve ripped your sump plug out but not noticed?!

Adam
09-01-09, 04:59 PM
If youve drove 2miles with the light on, engine is probably shagged tbh.

BIGS
09-01-09, 05:00 PM
Not when you hit a speedbump and have a competition fuel pump right next to you

BIGS
09-01-09, 05:01 PM
Yea it probley is but i can still hope lol. If it is ill just do a rebuild

Jack
09-01-09, 05:08 PM
If youve drove 2miles with the light on, engine is probably shagged tbh.
Nah, I drove mine to halfords and back with the oil lilght flickering away happily to itself. It did sound a bit rattly by the time I got home mind lol

New filter, new oil, bish bash bosh no more problemo :D

BIGS
09-01-09, 05:14 PM
well a mate is going to bring a new sump to me in a hour or so. so will fit new oil and water and give it ago and see

Southie
09-01-09, 05:59 PM
well a mate is going to bring a new sump to me in a hour or so. so will fit new oil and water and give it ago and see

Good luck mate :D An extra finger for extra luck lol

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p379/SOUTHIE01/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_.jpg

Andy
09-01-09, 06:18 PM
It should be ok 2miles is fukk all,i did around 30 miles in my old 13 Sr with the oil light on,engine was fine after i changed oil and sump

BIGS
09-01-09, 07:19 PM
get in ive just took the wheel off and turned the engine over by hand and the engine is fine :D

So im going to go get new gasket tomorrow and fit the sump :thumb:

Adam
09-01-09, 07:21 PM
It may well not be seized, but the big ends etc might be scored to fook.

BIGS
09-01-09, 08:46 PM
Ah so if i just put new oil in with "scored" big ends would that damage it more?