PDA

View Full Version : bike throttle bodies

james_19
06-01-09, 11:15 PM
am going to put bike throttle bodies on my c20xe, i have the bodies, linkage, tps, injectors and loom
need a manifold and engine management,
do i need anything else and what management would you suggest?
thanks james

chimp007_uk
06-01-09, 11:31 PM
either get a manifold made, or have a hunt around. Bogg Brothers are the usual choice.
Management, MBE OMEX EMERALD will all be capable, just find someone local that can map it :)

james_19
06-01-09, 11:37 PM
so is that all i need???
bogg brothers are in malton, very close to me so i can just pop up anytime.
am not going to go with the megasquirt. there is a place close to me where am going on the 29th to get my redtop astra van rolling roaded, and they set up carbs tbs etc.

chimp007_uk
06-01-09, 11:42 PM
am not going to go with the megasquirt. there is a place close to me where am going on the 29th to get my redtop astra van rolling roaded, and they set up carbs tbs etc.

Check, its management that they have the software for or experience with.

You running a dispack engine?

james_19
06-01-09, 11:44 PM
yeh thats what i plan on doing, its the safer bet.
what you mean by a ''dispack engine''
sorry to seem daft but am new to all this mate, thanks

james_19
06-01-09, 11:46 PM
oo you mean dizzy or coil??

chimp007_uk
06-01-09, 11:49 PM
every petrol engine has a coil... Either it has a distibutor on the end of the engine, or a coilpack mounted tot he side of the head.

james_19
06-01-09, 11:52 PM
i am sure its has a distributor mate?? what difference will this make??

chimp007_uk
06-01-09, 11:55 PM
i believe to run managment you'll need a dispack, don't quote me on that. With a dizzy, the rotar arm goes round inside and sends out the spark to each cylinder. With the dispack, its electronically controlled and the spark is sent via a signal from the ecu, using crank sensors, knock sensor etc. For mapping well, a dispack will be needed!

james_19
06-01-09, 11:57 PM
how much would a dispack be then ??

chimp007_uk
07-01-09, 12:00 AM
Don't know, I'm going old school with carbs :) It depends what mangament you get, and what coil it runs. have a look on sbd's website

james_19
07-01-09, 12:04 AM
its just to expensive pal on there.
i was going to go with r1 carbs could have had a full set up for £200 but turned it down, they have to be cleaned and rebalanced every couple of months so i just thought the money i would do that i might aswell get throttle bodies.

just been talking to my mate and he advised a coil pack.

Stuart
07-01-09, 12:07 AM
you can still run aftermarket management with a dizzy.

dare I ask why the hell you think the R1 Carbs need a tune every 6 months?

chimp007_uk
07-01-09, 12:07 AM
i was going to go with r1 carbs could have had a full set up for £200 but turned it down, they have to be cleaned and rebalanced every couple of months so i just thought the money i would do that i might aswell get throttle bodies.

Thats a load of pish... Who told you that?!? How many bikes do you see going in to be tuned every couple of months?!?

I ment look on SBD to see what management they run with they're kits to get an idea...

chimp007_uk
07-01-09, 12:08 AM
you can still run aftermarket management with a dizzy.

Cheers Stu, I wasn't sure, every tb'd car i've seen has been runnign a coilpack, never seen one on standard dizzy.

james_19
07-01-09, 09:40 AM
thats what i was thinking, i just think you need to balance them when they go on the car.
thanks for the info guys

james_19
07-01-09, 09:42 AM
dare I ask why the hell you think the R1 Carbs need a tune every 6 months?

i have been told this on numerous occasions by friends and people on here, so i just took it as that.

The Simps
07-01-09, 01:19 PM
manifold is easy mate. you can cut down the original manifold, use rubber joiners and get the carbs respaced. Will be cheaper than buying a new manifold and look better with the straight runners.

PM SLICKCORSA on MIG and look at his project thread. His name is David and has done this to his and could probabaly even arrange all the work for you.

Ref the DISPAC, don't use the std XE one - its pap! You can buy ones from the likes of SBD that will be more reliable.

Ref management. There's plenty of ECUs that can do the job but you don't choose the ECU you choose the mapper. Find out who's local to you and what they use. They should also be able to sort out the DISPAC (or coilpack as its more commonly known) for you.

eg. Dave Walker who designed Emerald ECUs is about 45mins up the road from me, so I'd use him!

The Simps
07-01-09, 01:32 PM
Here:- http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/projects-restorations/371377-first-corsa-track-car.html

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4796&d=1223747135

james_19
07-01-09, 04:33 PM
cheers.

Adam
07-01-09, 04:34 PM
the XE dispak is identical to the sbd one afaik. Its just a generic 3 pin coilpack. Ten a penny in a scrappy

james_19
07-01-09, 05:13 PM
oo ok thanks

The Simps
07-01-09, 05:16 PM
the XE dispak is identical to the sbd one afaik. Its just a generic 3 pin coilpack. Ten a penny in a scrappy

I remember reading someowhere tho that the vaux ones are shoit and prone to failing thats why people use other ones.