PDA

View Full Version : RE: Upgrading nova servo

Rich
06-01-09, 07:34 PM
This is for a thread i replied to say i had fitted a cav/calibra servo to a nova. Ive not known it to be done before, tho im sure it has. One ive got in the pictures is off a 1.0 nova and a calibra turbo. Idea is for a better brake feel and use of the bigger turbo mastercylinder.

Its not a how-to but a few pics to help anyone that might want to do it. More to say it does fit seeing as no one seems to know about it

Back of both servos (nova on the left). Cav/calibra use a different back plate to a nova, you wont need this as you retain the standard one bolted to the nova bulkhead.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p24/novarich/DSC00001.jpg

This pic shows the cav/cally back plate on the nova servo. (Its not needed, pic is only to show the stud pattern is the same!)

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p24/novarich/DSC00002.jpg

The part that needs modding is the way it mounts to the brake bar in the car. Last time i just cut the nova connector off, cut the threaded bar down to the right length on the cav/cally servo and welded it straight on. Im trying to think of another way to do it that will have a bit more strength and adjustment (like the cav one)

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p24/novarich/DSC00006.jpg

Also keep in mind, as the turbo mastercylinder only has 2 outlets you will need to modify the brake lines. I used a splitter block off a corsa c, splitting the 2 lines into 4. Sure there are other ways of doing this

L14MNP
06-01-09, 10:52 PM
Interesting. If you're after better pedal feel though surely you're better off binning the Nova bar setup and running Corsa stuff straight to the pedal?

Rich
06-01-09, 10:57 PM
True but i dont want to relocate the battery so that sort of stops it.

I had this setup in my old nova with v6 front and astra gte rear discs, had a good pedal and stopped very well.

Not saying its better than the corsa setup but its somthing else to look into, far less work as well!

burgo
07-01-09, 04:08 AM
surely you wouldnt need to keep the adjustment on the servo as its on the pedal end on a nova

Sloth
07-01-09, 04:20 AM
agreed/\ just make sure its welded well!

Dod
07-01-09, 09:40 AM
This is something I've been considering for a long line, especially with the amount of Cavs I break. Is it worth doing?

burgo
07-01-09, 01:42 PM
do it and find out. you can be the guinea pig

craig green
07-01-09, 05:09 PM
Rich Metcalfes done this on his.

Rich
07-01-09, 07:19 PM
This is something I've been considering for a long line, especially with the amount of Cavs I break. Is it worth doing?

I did it on my last and it had a much better pedal/stopped alot better. Im doing it again for my turbo as i dont want to go through all the hassle with the corsa setup. It also means you havent got to relocate the battery

draper
07-01-09, 07:21 PM
good find, think ill do this on mine :thumb:

R1CH
07-01-09, 08:46 PM
Rich Metcalf's done this on his.

Aye, i've been running one on my LET for the last couple of years

I had to make up a new bracket to fit between the Calibra servo and Nova bulkhead
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/ricmetcalf/Nova%20build%20pics/DSC00350.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/ricmetcalf/Nova%20build%20pics/DSC00351.jpg

Then the bit on the back of the Calibra servo (arrowed) i squashed it together then welded around it, then just drilled the hole bigger to fit the Nova brake bar.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/ricmetcalf/Servo.jpg

Job done !!
;)

craig green
07-01-09, 08:57 PM
Nicely put Rich.

Worth doing in your opinion?

R1CH
07-01-09, 09:03 PM
Nicely put Rich.

Worth doing in your opinion?

I only did because i didn't have a Nova servo / mc and already had the Calibra one in my garage, thought i may as well use it !!
I also the run the Calibra (Turbo) front and rear calipers as well (with a bias valve in the rear line), works and feels absolutly spot on, could still do with a little less braking at the rear but other than that they've pretty much been perfect !!

Dod
07-01-09, 09:05 PM
Have you thought about the Calibras inline Valve to reduce rear end lock up or have you any insight on it?

R1CH
07-01-09, 09:16 PM
Nah, didn't even know they came with any in-line valve, to reduce the braking on the rear more (even with the bias valve wound right in) i've removed some material from the pads (about 2/3) so theres just a small-ish (about 30mm wide) section of pad left in the middle.
Bit of a pikey way of doing it but its ran like that for a couple of years now, pads wear evenly as well.

Rich
07-01-09, 09:51 PM
I used bias valves from an early mk2 astra (non abs) with rear discs, never had problems with the rear locking up.

Rich out of interest, what was the reason you had to make up the new bracket? Was it to get the spacing right on the rear connector?

edit, sounds a good idea about squashing the rear connector/welding. Will look at doing that myself, much better/neater than my last attempt

R1CH
07-01-09, 10:25 PM
Which valves are you on about, as you can't fit the bias valves (like on Nova MC's) to the Calibra MC, or do these valves fit in-line ??
Can't remember exactly but pretty sure it was so it was spaced out propperly, the servo hasn't been modified in any way, i'd rather make / modify brackets to get bits to fit rather than modify the actual part - makes it easier in the future if you have to replace it.
I think i might of had to grind the bracket a bit so it was narrower, think it ends up wider than the Nova end ?? can't mind tho.

Rich
07-01-09, 10:37 PM
I dont think you could fit the valves i mention on yours as looks like you have used braided brake lines? I used normal copper lines, 2 off the mastercylinder into a splitter box from a corsa C. splits them into 4 lines, i put the bias valves into this for the 2 rear lines.

Sorry i dont have a pic of the splitter block

Same as in this pic but from a mk2 astra gte 16v with rear discs (has to be non abs or it wont have them)

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p24/novarich/DSC00003g.jpg

R1CH
07-01-09, 10:55 PM
Aye i knew about those type of valve, thought you maybe meant a valve that actualy fitted in the line.
My MC is an ABS one so it only has the 2 outlets, those valves have quite a large thread on them so they wouldn't fit on the outlets on the Calibra MC anyway.
Not sure what other Calibra / Cav MC's are like.

Edit: do those valves fit into the splitter box from a Corsa C ?

Rich
07-01-09, 11:01 PM
yep they do.

I used an abs mastercylinder (was off a cav gsi last time) which was my reason for using the splitter block in the first place. I just reshaped my old lines to join the splitter block, then ran 2 new lines with ends to suit from the mastercylinder to the splitter

edit: did you mean the origional nova valves didnt fit the calibra mastercylinder threads? I dont think mine did, or even fit the splitter block. The astra gte ones fit the splitter block though!

R1CH
07-01-09, 11:04 PM
Ahh cool, could be handy to know for the future !!

craig green
07-01-09, 11:06 PM
actually had the proportioning valves mounted remotely on the bulkhead, so they dont have to be screwed into the master cylinder necessarily.

I'm using a Corsa GSi ABS 2 port MC with fr & rear discs & a wilwood adjustable bias valve. Everything seems OK upto now but had considered trimming the rear pad material if it needed some bite taken away from the rears.

Mihó
12-01-09, 07:41 AM
Craig, if I have understood you well, you have one circuit of MC connected to the rear, and second one for front axle. It is not good in case of MC's malfunction. For example if one (front) circuit get break down, then you have only rear to stop you, and this is not as efficient as on front, and what is more, you can loose stability. I advise diagonal connection

Comming back to topic - I have got standard Corsa A servo, with installed Corsa B (2000) MC unit (due to ABS in my car). But I think of using other servo due to decreasing strength needed to step

Dod
12-01-09, 09:34 AM
How do you find the ABS works in your car Miho, is there much more braking ability or what are the advantages?

Mihó
12-01-09, 09:35 AM
pm with youtube link sent. I am unable to send posts with url still.

For others - search "Corsa A ABS" on youtube

Stuart
12-01-09, 09:47 AM
well with ABS your stopping distances increase, and there is a high chance that its calibrated badly so that you cant get as optimal stopping than if it wasnt there

Mihó
12-01-09, 09:48 AM
well with ABS your stopping distances increase, and there is a high chance that its calibrated badly so that you cant get as optimal stopping than if it wasnt there

In my opinion it should be calibrated well, because it is adapted from Corsa B, which has this same weight as my Corsa. Rear drums are from Corsa B, on front axle 256x24mm

Dod
12-01-09, 09:59 AM
I'm just trying to figure out which would be more benificial for day to day driving. Miho, feel free to post your youtube link in here as well.

Mihó
12-01-09, 10:02 AM
I'm just trying to figure out which would be more benificial for day to day driving. Miho, feel free to post your youtube link in here as well.

In everyday life it doesn't make big change. Braking is similar. On ice or hardened snow there is much longer distance needed to stop, but any try to steer is possible. And main reason why I made it was to show this is possible ;)

Dod
12-01-09, 10:04 AM
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=i-lA_wFC6es&feature=channel_page

There you go mate.

Stuart
12-01-09, 11:17 AM
should i make spam at forum ;) ?

I wouldnt if I were you...... your post count has shot up since this am. I shall now look at your posting and remove anything nessecary :p

oh and as for the Corsa B's calibration being similar, yes it SHOULD be but whats to say GM/Bosch actually spent any real time on getting the best from it etc.... I know for a fact that the MK4 astra and VX220's ABS calibrations are utter dog turd and those cars are a good 5-10 years younger than the Corsa B's setup lol

Rich
12-01-09, 02:07 PM
Abs is horrible, had it on my mk2 astra gte and it made braking worse as it kicked in when it wasnt needed! Even on new corsa d its usless

Whats wrong with controlling brakes yourself

Dod
12-01-09, 04:24 PM
Nothing at all, its just something new I've not tried yet so I'm curious to see how it opperates. I've always removed ABS from any Cavs I've had but it'd be interesting to see how it works in a Nova.

Rich
12-01-09, 06:01 PM
That comment wasnt aimed at you sorry !! Just a general comment.

I would probably say it would be worse in a nova and come on earlier due to it being much lighter, but couldnt say for sure.

Dod
12-01-09, 06:22 PM
See I think it may even work better on the Nova than a larger car, since the Novas are lighter they would tend to skid easier, granted they'd take less time to stop, but adding ABS may compensate for braking distance by increasing steering ability while on full pedal.

Stuart
12-01-09, 06:34 PM
This all completely assumes the ABS was calibrated properly in the first place... plus wether its a 2/3/4channel setup blah blah.

Generally vauxhall ABS tends to be utter utter utter dog turd :(

Dod
12-01-09, 07:25 PM
Well in cases involving Cavs, agreed fully. Maybe I'll just give it a miss so.