PDA

View Full Version : Removing Bumper from MK2

matt_vaughan
06-01-09, 02:42 PM
I have actually searched for this, but didnt gleam anything (god knows why, must have been asked loaddds)

I have a Haynes by the way but it aint exactly clear.

I've taken the screws from the wings out of my bumper.....just pull now?

Dont want to break anything, had the bumper off before, cant for life of me remember how I did it though.

Do the bolts on the bumper iron have to be taken off? As they're being a bit of a git and just spinning.

Cheers

Shaun_O'Donnell
06-01-09, 02:45 PM
The bumper clips onto the bumper iron and does require a good hard pull to come off, alternatively you could undo the 2 No. 13mm bolts located in the inner wheel arch of each side which secure the bumper iron via a 90 degree bracket to the car.

Matt
06-01-09, 02:46 PM
There should be two bolts (13mm IIRC) on the inner wings inside the arches each side. You'll need to remove these then the bumper will just slide forwards.

Edit: Beat me to it Shaun!

Shaun_O'Donnell
06-01-09, 02:48 PM
Beat me to it Shaun!

:thumb:

matt_vaughan
06-01-09, 02:50 PM
Cheers guys, does take a good tug doesnt it. Remember now.

Have to admit, haynes didnt help much, and mine includes the revisions for newer models (obviously)

Cheers

brainsnova
06-01-09, 03:00 PM
i used to just take the 13mm nuts off each front side so the bumper backing bar stays joined to the bumper then the bolts in the wings for the side clips. can be off in under 5 mins that way and saves snapping anything.

MK999
06-01-09, 03:10 PM
Easiest way I find is to take the 2 bolts off each side in the arches, then the 2 in the front that secure the bumper bar to the L brackets.

Take the grill out, look down past the radiator in front of the chassis and there will be 2 bolts in the L brackets which hold the bumper bar to the chassis, can be tricky to spot at first but once you've got them it's by far the easiest way to take the bumper out.

If you find it hard to see them, stick your hand between the bumper and the chassis, feel into the bumper bar and then run your hand left/right til you hit the L brackets.

Also don't forget the push clips in the bottom of the bumper, thin screwdriver, the 'precision' type works, into the middle and give it a tap with a hammer :thumb:

bmw156
06-01-09, 03:13 PM
ok hijack, mk1 this time.,

one of the bolts in the right wing is fooked, and just spins, what should i do. and also the bolts that join the iron to the car are well stiff

should i cut the bolt on the wing off? and replace it?

Shaun_O'Donnell
06-01-09, 03:17 PM
Which bolt is spinning?

bmw156
06-01-09, 03:20 PM
its on the drivers side wing.

Shaun_O'Donnell
06-01-09, 03:21 PM
What size is it?

bmw156
06-01-09, 03:24 PM
just checked in the cold 10mm

Shaun_O'Donnell
06-01-09, 03:26 PM
Try gently pulling the side of the bumper away from the wing as you undo this, it's only a short bolt and may catch another thread.

bmw156
06-01-09, 03:30 PM
ok will give it a shot thanks shaun

what other bolts do i need to undo to get it off?

brainsnova
06-01-09, 03:39 PM
on the mk1 the wing bolts can be left as the bumper will slide off the wing brackets if you pull the bumper forwards. you need to get the 13mm nuts off the back off the bumper bar too or the ones in the inner wings.

bmw156
06-01-09, 03:41 PM
ok was thinking it might, what other bolts do i need to undo? there are the two each side for the iron?

brainsnova
06-01-09, 03:47 PM
there is one on each side under the headlight accessed front between the bumper and radiator. they might snap but year ago i got bolts welded back on and greased them.