PDA

View Full Version : Spare Car

Chris LR
06-12-02, 09:02 PM
Next year I'm expecting my SR to die. :( :microwav:

However I've been planning for when it does, I'm planning to get another car for running around in, so I can take my time over my next Nova.

The only problem is I don't know what other car to get. I'm looking for bog standard motoring with cheap bills and a diesel engine.

What do u suggest?

Alex
06-12-02, 09:08 PM
a diesel nova :D

Chris LR
06-12-02, 09:21 PM
I'm after a car which I don't have to touch. I wasn't thinking of a Nova.

Matt Finary
06-12-02, 11:24 PM
Nova TD

Matt :D

wisewood
07-12-02, 10:08 AM
any of the diesel hatchbacks mate... all be nice and cheap to run.

Chris LR
07-12-02, 09:26 PM
The SR is currently comsuming too much, oil, water and fuel.
After it's accident damage (Which happened before I owned it) the front wheels have never pointed straight, it's rustier than the titanic and after a dodgy repair to the head gasket 4 years ago it has combustion problems.

I'll hope to get around 200 if/when I break it.

I've narrowed my choices down to four possible cars if worst comes to worst.

1. Pug 106 1.5 diesel - Nothing special but cheap to insure and run, plenty around

2. Mk3 Astra 1.7 diesel - reliable as fcuk I know of 2 that have clocked 150k & 220k without serious problems.

3. SIIA/III Landrover SWB, cheap to insure and buy but not to run, open air fun, easy to steal.

4. Nova 3dr TD/D, but I'll want an absolute minter, so I can transplant parts if I have to.

Matt Finary
08-12-02, 01:33 PM
Choice 4 :D

Matt 8)

jim sri
08-12-02, 02:13 PM
u know u want a nova mate!

Chris LR
08-12-02, 06:59 PM
Don't we all.

But, how rare are 'good' Nova's? How rare are 'good' diesels? How easy are Novas to break into?

I'll make my mind up if/when the time comes and how much I can afford and what I can find.

ade
09-12-02, 01:37 AM
if the shelss good on the sr why not just transplant the engine for anothre one?

nova td engine for example if thats what you want. Saves buying a new car and all the finance that goes with it.

Chris LR
09-12-02, 03:22 PM
I'd love to have a diesel in SR kit, but the shell isn't that good, bootfloor going, arches going, passenger door going and spots of rust of the roof.

I'm after a car that doesn't require any attention, and as little money as possible, my car is sadly none of those.

jim sri
09-12-02, 04:08 PM
yer but getin a newer car will prob cost a fair bit of cash, whereas u can get mint, unthrashed sr's for 800-1000, and a minf tsi for a few hundred more if you look hard enuf.
and with the money you save by getin a nova, you can spend makin it look good and secure it with decent alarm.
i think it was a post CP wrote the other day sayin that someone could get a corsa but it just wudnt have the street cred of a nova, which i agree with.
get a good un mate and it wont give you any grief if you look after it-mine hasn't. :D