PDA

View Full Version : Speakers and Sunstrip

Anonymous
13-11-00, 08:17 PM
Can anyone who has 6x9 speakers help us, can they just go on the parcel shelf, ppl in halfords said you need a special shelf made out of some special material, is this correct, or can you just use the shelf thats already there. Also can anyone tell me where you can get a plain white sunstrip, ive seen them in shops but all have writing on them. Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

Dai

Anonymous
13-11-00, 08:50 PM
I've got a 1.2 g-reg with 6x9 and then went in fine. they would sound better if you brought a better shelf made from MDF and covered in Acoustic cloth. using the mdf shelf creates a better seal in the boot, this then makes a better sound.

Anonymous
13-11-00, 09:45 PM
My nova had some shit speakers in the parcel shelf which I think are wank, and left 2 big holes in, but 6x9s will go, but speakers make their sounds by vibrating basically, which means alot of the sound will be muffled cos the standard shelf will vibrate loads, whereas an MDF one will not, another idea is not to shop at halfords, they charge loads for standard bits and accessories mate

Anonymous
13-11-00, 10:07 PM
I WORK IN HALFORDS AND THATS TOTAL SHIT!! MINE WENT IN FINE PEOPLE ON THE AUDIO BOARD NORMALLY TRY TO DO SOMETHING THAT IS CALLED "LINK SELLING" WHICH MEANS THAT THEY SELL YOU THE STERO THEN LOADSA CRAP THAT NO ONE NEEDS!!!
I KNOW THIS CAUSE JUST DONE IT! WE SELL CD PLAYER HIDERS THAT LOOK LIKE HEATERS WELL SHIT AND DO NOT WORK!
I WOULD SAY BANG EM IN THE SHELF MAY NOT SOUND PERFECT BUT SAVES ?50!!!
HOPE THIS HAS HELPED
DAN

Anonymous
13-11-00, 10:36 PM
ive got a 1.0 with kenwood 6*9's on a standard shelf,they sound ok ,ive also go two 10" rockford fostage subs in the boot there is little vibrating and sounds the dogs!!!

Anonymous
13-11-00, 11:53 PM
just get your self a jigsaw or borrow one, get too sheets of 5mm ply or one of 10mm ply and cut it to fit in the natural strengthining dish in the middle of the shelf then cut the holes for the speakers and glue and staple the two peices together or if you got one peice (from a chippe or just a cut off from a construction site for free)then staple gun it to the origonal shelf and paint it with some blackboard paint from b&q or cover it with some acustic cloth. thats what i did and it sounded fine all the way up the sterios volume but if there are any real low notes it shakes a bit but im happy with it. should only cost about ?2 for the paint and you can get the ply for free off a peice of shuttering ply from any construction site.

Anonymous
14-11-00, 12:42 PM
ive fitted my 6x9s in the shelf but i put a thin sheet of mdf in the insert of the shelf and this sound the bollox
an nothing vibrates

Anonymous
14-11-00, 09:13 PM
thanks for the info guys, just bought some sony 6x9's gotta fit them now :). cya all.