PDA

View Full Version : 2ltr hubs

BIGS
04-01-09, 01:19 AM
Hmm right what would you say is best to do, Ive heard of a few people using astra gte,gsi ect hubs then getting them modified to take bigger bearings or something like that. now do i do that or use the conversion hubs that use the nova bearings?

What are the pro's and con's for doing either if any :confused:

white2lSR
04-01-09, 09:46 AM
Why do you want to use bigger shafts anyways?

John
04-01-09, 09:55 AM
use the conversion hubs, cheaper and easier imo.

Benn
04-01-09, 10:16 AM
lol Do you mean getting the hub carrier machined out and using golf bearings so you use a std hub?
Or getting a pair of big block hubs turned down?

The Simps
04-01-09, 10:29 AM
I think its what he's trying to say Benn yeah.

Its horses for courses BIGS tbh. It all comes down to the quality of the machine work. I went machine hubs and nova bearing route in std carriers.

Dan
04-01-09, 10:55 AM
I think simps is right, its down to horses for courses and what the cars purpose is. I am starting out on the hubs route just to get the thing rolling but will be changing that in time, as i am aware some of the 'astley' hubs had a tendancy to destroy themselves on track due to poor machining/tolerances. Obviously i have taken that with a pinch of salt but thats the owners reviews and i trust their opinions as none of them are daft lol

End of the day you get what you pay for !!!

Benn
04-01-09, 11:08 AM
Dan the hubs you're thinking of will be the Mtec hubs, 9 out of 10 brake.
The machine on them is badly done, Vegusphil from corsasports broken one with normaly driving. It snaped right on ther base where they where machined to a flat, insted of a curve.

After meeting henvric(sp?) of V-turning, and talking to him about whats on james corsa gave me a few ideas then pete did mine in the same way after a bit of thinking. Done a few k miles now with one track day and been fine.

Andy
04-01-09, 11:08 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread Bigs,but what is the best setup for shafts and hubs/shafts people have found?

General Baxter
04-01-09, 11:13 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread Bigs,but what is the best setup for shafts and hubs/shafts people have found?

std hubs, gte shafts with cav mk2 inner cv's. i know people running over 350bhp on them, never had a problem :thumb:

i used that set up on the TD, but i swapped over to the hub/cv/shaft set from LMF, (300bhp rated), i would not trust these with 50bhp let alone 300, i managed to snap one :(

BIGS
04-01-09, 11:15 AM
Why do you want to use bigger shafts anyways?

Well seeing as im putting a 2.2 and going wide track im going to use equal length shafts. Cant really use gte shafts for thatlol

Benn
04-01-09, 11:18 AM

Thats impossiable to answer, some people have no prob with either set up, some have lots of probs with both.

Ive snaped a custom made shaft, and i've killed cav mk2 cvs. Its down to driver, car, engine, power, road surface...

BIGS
04-01-09, 11:19 AM
lol Do you mean getting the hub carrier machined out and using golf bearings so you use a std hub?
Or getting a pair of big block hubs turned down?
Think its the third one lol. Harry hockly sell the bits i need. ck said it work out around £200 aside to do.

At the moment ive got these and dont know if they will be good enough when hammering around a track with alot of bhp

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nova-and-corsa-motorsport-hubs-for-2-0L-conversion_W0QQitemZ230014917678QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item230014 917678&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

ffs im never trying a ebay link again

Andy
04-01-09, 11:21 AM
Thats impossiable to answer, some people have no prob with either set up, some have lots of probs with both.

Ive snaped a custom made shaft, and i've killed cav mk2 cvs. Its down to driver, car, engine, power, road surface...
Ok maybe not the best because that would be down to personal opinion,most reliable would have been more appropriate

General Baxter
04-01-09, 11:21 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nova-and-corsa-motorsport-hubs-for-2-0L-conversion_W0QQitemZ230014917678QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item230014 917678&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66 %3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

BIGS
04-01-09, 11:23 AM
Thanks Baxter your a star, now why cant i just do that :mad:

General Baxter
04-01-09, 11:26 AM
check your settings lol,

i just copied and pasted your link lol

BIGS
04-01-09, 11:28 AM
Well R J said when i post a link click the automatically parse links in text bit so its no tick there. ive done that and keeps not letting the links work

Benn
04-01-09, 02:42 PM
Think its the third one lol. Harry hockly sell the bits i need. ck said it work out around £200 aside to do.

At the moment ive got these and dont know if they will be good enough when hammering around a track with alot of bhp

You wont know till you try. Get a pair oh legs and take them to a machine shop, they wont charge 200.

Ok maybe not the best because that would be down to personal opinion,most reliable would have been more appropriate

Depends on how much they brake, everything will brake at some point as everything has a weak spot.

I'll keep trying till i find whats best. I stil think custom shafts is the best way to go.

The Simps
04-01-09, 02:44 PM
as i am aware some of the 'astley' hubs had a tendancy to destroy themselves on track due to poor machining/tolerances.

As Benn says, its the MTec ones that are gash. I don't think chris has hada fail yet but could be wrong.

Chris sells brand new machined hubs for around £50 each iirc. Obviously if you've got a mate in a machine shop you could obviously have some done yourself 2nd hand but you're back to getting the maching right.

Personally, for the £20-40 you might save using 2nd hand, machined ones yourself, its not worth it for how important they are.

krobinson
04-01-09, 04:06 PM
I'm using the LMF hubs, they seemed to be machined very well, just like Benn has his done. I want to change to the Group A bearings and machined knuckles eventually though.

Keith

Lee
04-01-09, 05:23 PM
As Benn says, its the MTec ones that are gash. I don't think chris has hada fail yet but could be wrong.

Chris sells brand new machined hubs for around £50 each iirc. Obviously if you've got a mate in a machine shop you could obviously have some done yourself 2nd hand but you're back to getting the maching right.

Personally, for the £20-40 you might save using 2nd hand, machined ones yourself, its not worth it for how important they are.

Myself and Dar both ran hubs from Astley last year, one of his disintegrated. We put it down to the added stress of using inters, but then I discovered one of mine is spinning inside the bearing. ie, you can remove it from the bearing by hand due to a lack of an inteferance fit. Neither of us reported it to Chris, so thats two fails he doesnt know about. Not blaming him by the way, you're only as good as your suppliers at the end of the day.

In my opinion, removing metal from that area of the hub is a bad idea when they're going to be used in a high stress scenario such as a track using high grip tyres. Machining the hub carrier to take a bigger bearing and using the 2.0 hubs unmolested is a far better route to take.

On a road car though, I have no doubt they are sufficient.

Dan
04-01-09, 05:27 PM
aha, thanking you sir, as always i try to post and help the community, not put out damning reports without any knowledge or insufficient proof :)

Apologies can be sent by pm lol lol lol lol ;)

Dar
04-01-09, 06:44 PM
Fail!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/DSC08511_800x600.jpg

I think that conversion shafts (If they are still available) are a better option than this.

Benn
04-01-09, 06:46 PM
Shafts are very hard to find, i had a pair and broke one. Snaped the end clean off where the cv curclip sits.

ust look in to getting some made.

trackdaynova
04-01-09, 06:50 PM
Never had any problems with standard 1.2 hubs, and GTE shafts.

Yes, the CVs exploded once in a while... but that was due to how low and the castor I was running :)

Stuart
04-01-09, 06:51 PM
http://www.ndepower.com/produniversal.html

BIGS
04-01-09, 06:54 PM
Thanks to everyone thats replyed, been alot of help.

But dont think ill have any problems with the shafts if any it would be the hubs. So what people are saying is the best way is getting 2ltr hubs to fit group a bearings then

Dar
04-01-09, 07:00 PM
Thanks to everyone thats replyed, been alot of help.

But dont think ill have any problems with the shafts if any it would be the hubs. So what people are saying is the best way is getting 2ltr hubs to fit group a bearings then

Things you will need -
Bearings: FBK106 - Can't remember the dimensions though.
Cir-clips: INT0670 - INT DIN 472 Metric 67mm (2.5/8)
http://www.springmasters.com/sp/images/standard-internal-circlips.gif
The hub needs to be machined so that they don't foul the carrier. You can see where in this piccy
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/2008%20Mods/IMAGE_00112_640x480.jpg
Mine also ended up 5mm wider but since I ran spacers anyway it wasn't a problem for me.

BIGS
04-01-09, 07:07 PM
If i done that it wouldnt matter if the car will be 50mm wider would it? or just means what ever mm wider the hubs would be that would be added to the the 50mm?

Benn
04-01-09, 07:20 PM
If your machine hubs, at the inner end you want a small radus. This is what the m-tec hubs dont have and it means the bearings sit off and wear thru.

The Simps
04-01-09, 07:28 PM
Fail!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/DSC08511_800x600.jpg

I think that conversion shafts (If they are still available) are a better option than this.

Crikey! :eek:

Thats a 1st I've heard of Chris' hubs going, like Benn, its M-tec ones you normally hear about.

Benn
04-01-09, 07:39 PM
M-tec from Vegus Phils corsa.. Was only the disc holding it on.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/01.jpg

R1CH
04-01-09, 08:53 PM
Vectra Hubs / Knuckles FTW !!
Big hubs and bigger bearings, just need to sort a ball joint and track rod end, then a small bit of machining were the strut bolts on.

Benn
04-01-09, 08:59 PM
Have you done it then rich?
I kinda stoped looking at it.

R1CH
04-01-09, 09:03 PM
Still in the process of sorting them, i've got some bottom arms made up that use the Vectra ball joint, got some rose joints to use as the track rod ends (same as what Olly done), the knuckles are at work at the minuet just waiting to get the bit machined for the strut to attatch to.

Benn
04-01-09, 09:14 PM
Oh nice, i'd be very intrested to see the set up.

R1CH
04-01-09, 09:18 PM
Still gotta make up some tiebars and tiebar mounts as well, not that much to do really, its just fitting it all in around everthing else !!
I'll stick some pics when there sorted.

Benn
04-01-09, 09:23 PM
Please, had hoped it would be alot more simple.

16v Nova Kev
22-01-09, 09:43 AM
any more info on the vectra hub set up

R1CH
22-01-09, 08:42 PM
any more info on the vectra hub set up

Not from me, haven't got any further on with mine yet.

Benn
22-01-09, 09:12 PM
And i gave up ages before this.

16v Nova Kev
22-01-09, 09:28 PM
ok my mate is breaking a vectra so i might give it a go. and i will post pics