PDA

View Full Version : Removing Standard Topmounts

Matt
03-01-09, 01:19 PM
Are these usually an ar$e to get off? I can't get them to budge atall using a 19 and 9mm spanner. Any tips? Just need to get these bloody things off and I can fit my coilovers. :(

Here's what I'm trying...

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff60/mattmdavies/373822c8.jpg

Cheers,
Matt

Graeme
03-01-09, 01:22 PM
I find a buzz gun works best but make sure youve got a good set of spring compressors on there or some good face protection

Matt
03-01-09, 01:25 PM
So the springs need to be compressed then? I haven't got a buzz gun handy.

trackdaynova
03-01-09, 01:26 PM
what you're doing is the correct principle, but that said, if they're original - they'll be tough mate!

just be sure to compress the springs, else you'll have no face left

NovaLad
03-01-09, 01:26 PM
lol compress the springs then try.

I never had a problem with mine.

Graeme
03-01-09, 01:28 PM
I would tbh mate they can shoot off with some force, I used to just nip in to a local fast fit centre and ask them to 'crack' them off with a gun and then drive home and do what I had to

Matt
03-01-09, 01:31 PM
what you're doing is the correct principle, but that said, if they're original - they'll be tough mate!

just be sure to compress the springs, else you'll have no face left

Ahh cheers fella, didn't realise they needed compressed. I kinda imagined they'd be fairly tough as they havent moved for over 20 years!

:thumb:

Matt
03-01-09, 01:34 PM
I would tbh mate they can shoot off with some force, I used to just nip in to a local fast fit centre and ask them to 'crack' them off with a gun and then drive home and do what I had to

Yer I thought about going down the local tyre place and asking them. My brothers got one of those Snap-on airguns so I'll try and get him round tonight if I have no luck.

bmw156
03-01-09, 01:45 PM
they dont need to be compressed, i had the same problem and after some thinking i put them back on the car, bolted the top two bolts, and then just tried as hard as i could and they managed to budge, then just tighten them back up a little bit, and take them off the car and compress springs, worked for me and no missing facelol

Graeme
03-01-09, 01:48 PM
The only way I'd do it without compressorsin on the car, using the weight of the car to keep in compressed and then jack the car up, letting the shock fall as it went up

Gunzi
03-01-09, 02:46 PM
Compress the springs then try again as said, you won't have the weight of the springs pushing against the nuts then. Plus you won't risk a spring + top mount in your face.

dan23
03-01-09, 02:55 PM
cut through the spring with grinder (if you dont need them )
put shock on car use a big / hammer on the sopanner to crack the nut off

Mike
03-01-09, 03:03 PM
So the springs need to be compressed then? I haven't got a buzz gun handy.

Holy fcuking sheet! Its a bloody good job you didnt get them off without the spring compressed!!!! They will kill you!

I had a little accident with some Pug suspension the other week (wasnt compressed enough) and the top mount ****ed me one in the ribs

Matt
03-01-09, 03:12 PM
Holy fcuking sheet! Its a bloody good job you didnt get them off without the spring compressed!!!! They will kill you!

I had a little accident with some Pug suspension the other week (wasnt compressed enough) and the top mount ****ed me one in the ribs

Tbh Mike I'm sh!te when it comes to mechnical stuff. My brothers a mechanic so I usually get him do any work I need. Trouble is he works so fast when I try to watch him do anything it just goes straight over the top of my head lol. I thought it was just gonna be a case of whipping the nut off with this (didn't realise how much pressure there was from the spring). I'll know for next time now though!

Graeme
03-01-09, 03:14 PM
Tbh your lucky there will be a next time, you of really hurt yourself or cause untold damage

Mike
03-01-09, 03:26 PM
Tbh Mike I'm sh!te when it comes to mechnical stuff. My brothers a mechanic so I usually get him do any work I need. Trouble is he works so fast when I try to watch him do anything it just goes straight over the top of my head lol. I thought it was just gonna be a case of whipping the nut off with this (didn't realise how much pressure there was from the spring). I'll know for next time now though!

lol you gotta learn somehow though chap.

As Graeme said though, IF you had got them off, they wouldnt have been a next time!! (Dont know if anyone on here has seen the aftermath of spring removal with no clamp, i have several times, spring went through a breeze black wall)

R1CH
03-01-09, 04:27 PM
You daft c*nt !! lol
Best bet is to get them back on the car and get your bro round with his windy gun, once the nuts off you'll be able to jack it up and the springs will then be able to extend fully, then just remove them as you normally would.

Matt
03-01-09, 04:42 PM
You daft c*nt !! lol
Best bet is to get them back on the car and get your bro round with his windy gun, once the nuts off you'll be able to jack it up and the springs will then be able to extend fully, then just remove them as you normally would.

lol

Glad I didn't manage to get it off and have high speed topmount in the face!
Aye, I'll stick them back on the car and get him round.

Adam
03-01-09, 04:49 PM
Air gun gets them off in seconds.
What i usually do is undo them with the strut on the car though, and the car on the ground. But leave the nut threaded a bit, so it doesnt fall in bits when you jack the car up....

Martin
03-01-09, 05:05 PM
LOL Lucky ****. we never had any clamps on my mates corsa, so he compressed the springs with his hands while i undid the nut.. needles to say i got a topmount in the chin, and he broke 3fingers in the spring lol i was out cold for 10mins lol

matt_vaughan
03-01-09, 05:13 PM
Last time I did mine, forgot to get the spring compressors.

Used ratchet straps to compress the spring, wouldn't recomend it, but it did the job.

We did make sure to keep faces and as many hands as poss out of the way, unfortunately though, as the name suggests, springs can bounce off walls and such :D

L14MNP
03-01-09, 05:44 PM
:D You deserve a Darwin Award my friend lol

Be careful!