PDA

View Full Version : back brakes

torquey
02-01-09, 05:37 PM
Whats the best/easiest way to adjust the brake shoes. haynes manual says there should be a adjuster bolt on the backplate mine doesnt? any info would help. cheers:thumb:

craig green
02-01-09, 06:30 PM
There should be an access hole in that case, get a pen torch & look inside, you should be able to use a flat blade screwdriver & notch the self adjusters (LOL) round manually.

meritlover
02-01-09, 06:55 PM
remove the drums and ensure the linkage and mechanism is free as well as the plastic quadrant guides on the axle.
inspect the drums outer edge and grind away any lip or step.
adjust the knurled wheel until there is just and so enough clearence to slide the drum back on. so there is just enough play that the brakes do not bind
re tighten the center hub nut and check the drum spins freely, pull the handbrake cable (out the back of the brake back-plate) and there should be very little play until the brakes lock, again make sure the brakes do not bind.
do both sides.
now pull the handbrake, if there is still excess travel at this point, adjust the cable adjuster above the axle. aim for about 2-3 clicks before the brakes are on fully.
yank the handbrake a few times and check the drums dont bind. if you are happy the brakes will now be adjusted

pump the foot pedal before driving away to ensure the play in the rear cylinders is now taken up with fluid.

it is very important that the lip on the drum is removed first or you will:
a) never be able to slide the drum on and have the shoes out far enough to give a good brake,

b) if the 'auto-adjusters' miraculously begin working, you may struggle to pull the lip over the shoes.

your brakes will now be much better and the over all pedal feel will be improved.

adjusting the brakes as per the Haynes manual will result in rubbish brakes.

please drive nicely.

Meritlover
xxxxxx

torquey
03-01-09, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the great info mate will try it that way, haynes seems to get a few things wrong ive noticed. cheers.

mowgli
04-01-09, 09:37 AM
working on advice from a really good mechanic I used to work with, who had done this mod on his astramax van, I actually drilled an access hole in the front face of the drums on my first nova to access the self adjusters(now there is a joke) then with a bent piece of wire & a screwdriver, I could adjust them from the outside.
it worked very well & saved me knackering wheel bearings with the dust.

I am going to do it to my current one, & will take pics for a how to guide.