PDA

View Full Version : Cav Shifter

Mike
02-01-09, 11:08 AM
Is there any way of fitting a Cav/Astra shifter neatly?

So it doesnt look like its been "retro fitted" so to speak.

Welsh Dan
02-01-09, 11:36 AM
Cav center console?

scott.parker
02-01-09, 11:37 AM
Do you mean keeping the interior in mike? or striped and then make the plastic bit around the bottom look better by coving it up etc?

Mike
02-01-09, 11:40 AM
^ pretty much that Scott. As the Cav shifter has the funk ugly cream plastic crap on the bottom of it :( and i need the gearnob "mounting rod" to be steel as ive gotta weld a little bracket on it for some arming switchs :S

When fitted to a Nova, is reverse then a "lift up" affair or am i being a tard?

scott.parker
02-01-09, 11:55 AM
It is lift up,but is only a bit of plastic you slid up, so it can mover over enough to select reverse, as for coving the ****e bit....hummm

You could just maby coat round it with fiberglass,then smooth off with filler and paint?? Other then that as Dan said lol

As for the steal gear leaver, could you just sleave it??

Scott

craig green
02-01-09, 05:58 PM
I'd just find a way of cutting up a couple Nova centre consoles so they cover it.

I've been thinking the same for when I put it in mine.

Adam
02-01-09, 05:59 PM
Just keep the nova one. The cav shifter is not really worth the hassel unless you want a straight/big bore front exhaust section

craig green
02-01-09, 06:00 PM
Yeah but a Nova gear change is awfull.

Adam
02-01-09, 06:19 PM
Fit a RJ linkage and a nova gearchange is then AWESOME

scott.parker
02-01-09, 06:20 PM
I DID notice there IS a difference, as it gets RID of some of the sloppiness that is made by the extra joins in the standard under linkage.

Scott

Will F
02-01-09, 06:59 PM
Just keep the nova one. The cav shifter is not really worth the hassel unless you want a straight/big bore front exhaust section

Really? Have you tried both?

I totally disagree - especially if its done where the shifter is joined at the box and the nova linkage is totally binned!

It makes the gear change quicker and crisper and makes the shifter closer to the steering wheel!

corsakid
02-01-09, 07:03 PM
i agree with will, i will be doing mine direct to the turret, but still feel its a good improvement over standard and worth doing, it you can get a straighter run on the exhaust instead of having to bend round the oem rubbish then i can only see that as being an advantage no matter what size engine you have,

Adam
02-01-09, 07:03 PM
Ive tried the standard nova setup, but with a RJ linkage and it was MILES better than the standard nova one.
The cav one is better than a nova one, but not enough to bother about.

All imo of course :)

Running it directly to the box is always going to make it feel miles better.

Will F
02-01-09, 07:05 PM
Ive tried the standard nova setup, but with a RJ linkage and it was MILES better than the standard nova one.
The cav one is better than a nova one, but not enough to bother about.

All imo of course :)

Running it directly to the box is always going to make it feel miles better.

Tell you what - try one (mine?) before you pass judgement!!

;)

Adam
02-01-09, 07:08 PM
Deal, come drive over to mine :)

scott.parker
02-01-09, 07:09 PM
lol this looks like it could be almost as good as BIG Vs SMALL Block!

Ste L
02-01-09, 07:11 PM
can i try it too :)

*only so i can drive the beast, not fussed if the shifter makes a diff

Adam
02-01-09, 07:15 PM
can i try it too :)

*only so i can drive the beast, not fussed if the shifter makes a diff
Thats a good point too lol

So you drive down mine Ste, and we can wait for Will to arrive :D

Mike
03-01-09, 11:32 AM
So, Cav shifter direct to gearbox turret? Any gen on this?

Will F
03-01-09, 06:46 PM

Similar to 'regular' mod, but you need to attach a universal joint (U/J) to the bar and attach that directly to the turret...

Look at CP's project thread, he did it a genius way!

LOL at the rest of you - feel free to pop down to me for a run!lol

R1CH
03-01-09, 07:05 PM

I'm 1/2 way thru doing this on my Autograss car, the gears will be back to front (1st will be were 2nd was ect ...) if you use the Cav shifter tho, and you've gotta angle the shifter over towards passenger side.
CP lowered (raised ?) his steering rack, which would give you a better angle for the shifter to connect up the box.
Mines just in the std position, think i drilled thru just above the steering rack boot (i'll check if you want), you need to have some kind of 'bush' to support the shifter rod as it passes thru the bulkhead, then a UJ then another short section to connect it to the box.
In a road the shifter would kinda sit in a funny position, you might be able do it so it sits better, i'm only gonna be using 1st and 2nd gear so i just went for the easiest option.