PDA

View Full Version : Welcome 2009, Tuning advice for stanta pod runs

novanum1
02-01-09, 12:43 AM
Hey all

Hope Everyones had a good start to 2009, Well today iv been set a bit off a bet from one off my mates, To best out off three runs down stanta pod around summer time,

Hes got a Saxo VTS with standard sort off mods, 4-2-1 manifold, mild steel system with back box and K&N air filter,
Standard Saxo 120bhp 107lb/ft

Iv got a Nova Sri fitted with C20NE 4-1 manifold, Stainless steel system with janspeed back box and a cheep mushroom air filter as it fit, :thumb:
Standard C20NE 113BHP 125lb/ft,

At starters i thought i should be able to do this but after i went in the VTS im starting to get worried,
Now i dont know if this is becuase i havent drove my nova for a while or not, But blimely that VTS is fast,:cry:

So realy i want to find What i can fit to my engine to get a better chance or be able to win realy,:thumb:

I dont want to spend over amount money. And also trying tp avoid removing the head as its just had a brand new head gasket and bolts before the engine went in the car,

Iv thought about going 2.0 16v, it is till playing on my mind, But i like my 8v and i dont fancy swaping engines all over again as that will 4 in less than a year lol

Iv just ordered a quick shift kit for it and new gearlink bushes to sharpen the gear changes.
Im thinking off buying a Fast road cam trying to find out the best make realy??,
And doing fueling mods likes fitting a FSE power valve i heard a alot remarks about theses good and bad so im not sure??
Also thinking off bining the cheap air filter to put a K&N panel filter in a GSI drilled air box, To keep the heat away,

Then after it all get it all set up on a rolling road,

So im after as many hints/tips/advice you all got,

Thanks

Tom

nova_saloon
02-01-09, 12:49 AM
get some webers and throw fuelinto the thing! but basically ur on the right track with basic mods like cams!

Sloth
02-01-09, 01:00 AM
how bout turbo? use a t2 and youll see 170 bhpish, and its easy and cheap. join this site and look about www.vaux-extreme.com (http://www.vaux-extreme.com) im sloth on there

Welsh Dan
02-01-09, 01:04 AM
The best (cheapest) way to get a faster quarter mile is to strip as much weight out of it as possible. Next up is a close ratio gearbox with ideally a 4.53 final drive. How much do you weigh? If you're fat like me then losing 3 or 4 stone will also help.

If its purely for quarter mile use, I'd buy a suitable Wizards of Nos kit second hand, with a progressive controller etc.. and get it set up properly. You can sell it once you're done because they hold their value quite well.

tom reid
02-01-09, 01:07 AM
Look at your gearing, gearbox ratio's and cw+p, std ratios are not too good for strip runs, look at getting the smallest wheel/tyre combination on the front you can, even a 13 in rim and the lowest profile tyre available, even slicks, you could put on 1200 discs and calipers just for the run.

I know of someone who planned to do this when he organised a race with Burgo, but it never happened, lol.

BIGS
02-01-09, 01:25 AM
tbh with that engine you should beat him up the strip. Ive got a 16xe in mine running 113bhp and im playing with vts's

sulphur
02-01-09, 01:32 AM
Does it not depend on what the other lad has planned for his VTS? Surely he's gonna throw on the mods like this man is, so you'd wanna plan ahead really?

Sloth
02-01-09, 01:41 AM
as said tubby, strip it, and get some nos. youll see a 13 if ya do it right.

Paul
02-01-09, 06:41 AM

novanum1
02-01-09, 11:43 AM
He will rip you a new asshole.

LOL i see, Well im going to give it the best shot iv got, il strip it, and try and find some webers, and if iv still got some cash lol find some Wizards of Nos,

Il keep you all posted:thumb:

Paul
02-01-09, 01:01 PM
Blah Blah Blah

Welsh Dan
02-01-09, 01:07 PM
Reading your post Paul it looks like you missed that he's got a C20NE fitted instead of a C14SE, not that the NE is the best engine to have fitted, but it is better...

Paul
02-01-09, 01:14 PM
Reading your post Paul it looks like you missed that he's got a C20NE fitted instead of a C14SE, not that the NE is the best engine to have fitted, but it is better...

Doh, I thought he meant he had a c14se engine fitted with a c20ne manifold somehow. Lol (I do realise a big block manifold dont fit a small block head by the way)

In that case I retract my previous post mate, and think your not a million miles away. But atm this VTS will win IMO.

Graeme
02-01-09, 01:35 PM
I've been watching this and wonder what Paul had missed

Lee
02-01-09, 02:39 PM
Bolt an SEH in it IMO. I dont see the point in an NE at all!

Adam
02-01-09, 03:50 PM
TBH, you will be lucky beat a VTS. There rapid machines for what they are! And can do 15second 1/4 miles in standard form. In comparison, a 110hp 1.6 16v nova does 16s

Your best hope is strip the car bare and if youve got some cash fit nitrous.... Its the cheapest way to a huge power/torque gain and is perfect for 1/4mile action. Forget turbos etc, if you go that route you may as well just fit a let.

Steve
02-01-09, 04:02 PM
I dont think you'll be far off at all tbh, my seh was rr'd with 110bhp and 128lb/ft and its still just beaten my mates starlet gt!

Depending on how well youe ne has been looked after I think the torque of the big block will help make up for it.

As said twin carbs would make a big diffrence but can you get them done cheap? I doubt it. Mosr weber carbs are pretty knackered now and will either need re-building or re-jetting and then you have to factor the cost of getting them setup etc. Cant remember if you said you have a four branch fitted but its a cheap enough mod and with either a cam or some headwork done you leave him for dead.

Adam
02-01-09, 04:05 PM
Fit a mans 2L (16v ftw)

Stuart
02-01-09, 05:29 PM
just nitrous the fooker.

novanum1
03-01-09, 01:49 AM
Yeah very true about the 20NE i wish i did have a 20SEH or 20XE But the only reason i got it was because my mate had a part ex cav Sri that failed an MOT on brake lines but the engine was in great nick so i give me the engine, box loom and ECU and some rear disc's for £80 and a scrap golf lol so i think i got a good deal, Well im going to see what i can do, its worth a try lol,

Sloth
03-01-09, 03:32 AM
Forget turbos etc, if you go that route you may as well just fit a let.
maybe he hasnt got £1.5k for a good std let? maybe he isnt a sheep? and would like something different? and £600 spent getting 200bhp from his ne is a better idea? then add some n.o.s.:thumb:

mowgli
03-01-09, 09:30 AM
maybe get some spare tyres, soften the front up for traction, and best of all, go & get a ton of practice in. there have been many people over the years that think cos they can win a traffic light grand prix, that they wll be great over 1/4.

the lower geared option will help tons as well.

spanishfly
03-01-09, 09:49 AM
Didn't read the whole thread so may be repeating some bits.

Ways to a quicker 1/4 (starting cheapest first)

-Fully stripped out car. Take all sound deadening out etc

-Good tyres, If you don't have rules get some maxsport RB5's or equivelent. www.ears.co.uk

-Wizards of nos kit, with a minimax controller, should pick one 2nd hand for well under £500. If your using a controller 100bhp should be possible.

Andy
03-01-09, 09:52 AM
What the hell has being a sheep got to do with fitting a let?
Mowgli has a very valid point,yes the vts may well be faster on paper but its driver skill involved aswell.

Stuart
03-01-09, 10:01 AM
What the hell has being a sheep got to do with fitting a let?
Mowgli has a very valid point,yes the vts may well be faster on paper but its driver skill involved aswell.

if its not a saab engine or fitting bodgetastic parts to an 8V to make it F/I, then its being a sheep allegedly....... :tard:

Riggy
03-01-09, 11:16 AM
lol the vts are 130 bhp std , and are very good/fast cars , my misses brother has one , pissed all over my corsa gsi , and my nova when it had the 1.6 8v

they really do go some , it doesnt have a chance against my nova now it has the xe in it , but id say it will do the weaker 2.0 8v with ease

Graeme
03-01-09, 11:23 AM
Like everyone else said, remove anything and everything that isn't essential and get some really soft tyres on the front

Mike
03-01-09, 11:24 AM
^ was just gonna say, they are good cars! I ran my old SR upto 133bhp ATF back in 2004 and just kept up with a friends one, but exploded the engine across the M54 doing so lol

EDIT: On another note, get some uber hard rear suspension if your just planning on dragging with him up the Pod.

Rich
03-01-09, 06:02 PM
You already have a big block, source a c20xe off ebay/mate/for sale section. Cheapest option for the gain you will get. XE with a decent manifold/exhaust you should leave him dead

edit, I would personally advise him to get some AA cover for the 3rd run, if it makes it to the 3rd run lol

MyNovaSr
03-01-09, 09:40 PM
If it helps at all, mine is the seh and beats VTS's, quite easily too :)

It does have a 4 branch, cam, straight through and ported head tho.

All the interior is in too.

Pete.

MyNovaSr
03-01-09, 09:42 PM
but id say it will do the weaker 2.0 8v with ease

So wrong :p ^^^^^

Riggy
03-01-09, 09:49 PM
^^ lol 113 bhp ne , id say i wont be wrong lol

Adam
03-01-09, 10:18 PM
16v or get the hell out---------------->
lol lol :p

Riggy
03-01-09, 10:31 PM
16v or get the hell out---------------->
lol lol :p

big 16v you mean ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/riggy4/Image675.jpg

novanum1
04-01-09, 01:23 AM
Cheers riggy for showing me that pic, i want, I WANT IT NOW, I think that is what im going to do tho TBH, if i spend £325 on a kent cam kit i could buy 2.0 16v xe with loom and all, Cant be arsed to change a engine again, But il do it lol, Anyone got any very good 20xe for sale???

Novaboyleon
04-01-09, 08:35 PM
i dont think saxos are really a problem to be honest, ive been up against them in my gte and they dont seem to be a problem, not sure if its the vts or vtr tho butt here both poo, nova saxo hatred is always there