PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for new Driver

NathanSRi
01-01-09, 06:36 PM
Hey guys,
I've got an F reg 1.3 sr, it's a really nice car, i bought it off my brother.
Problem is, i've been looking at quotes and they're a bit on the expensive side :(
Does anyone know of any insurance companies that provide cheap insurance on new drivers with cars such as these?

Cheers

NathanSRi
01-01-09, 07:05 PM
and if i am insured with my parents on provisional, will the insurance go up when i pass?

Benn
01-01-09, 07:47 PM
Welcome,

Phone everyone you can is your best bet, but your quote will be high as you're young and want a 1.3.

Hic, Flux, Greenlight, Sky are all good.

Remember if you are on a policie thats your mum and or dads you wont build up no clamies bonuss which are the main way to get the cost down.
Being on theirs shouldnt affect price, but doing things like pastplus can sometimes help get the cost down.

NathanSRi
01-01-09, 08:15 PM
Cheers for the reply, ive just got a quote for just under 400 quid when im 17! fron quinn direct with my parents insurance. Im not too worried abotu NCB at the minute, because i cant afford to go on my own insurance atm anyway.

Jay
01-01-09, 08:16 PM
Cheers for the reply, ive just got a quote for just under 400 quid when im 17! fron quinn direct with my parents insurance. Im not too worried abotu NCB at the minute, because i cant afford to go on my own insurance atm anyway.

Thats a very good price there.

Benn
01-01-09, 08:36 PM
Thats a very good price, but thb if you pay the extra now, you'll save in the long term. Get a price for on your own.

NathanSRi
01-01-09, 08:36 PM
The thing is its got some mods like alloys and exhaust, but i cant afford the insurance when i tell the company about them :(

NathanSRi
01-01-09, 08:37 PM
Thats a very good price, but thb if you pay the extra now, you'll save in the long term. Get a price for on your own.

Problem is i wouldnt be able to insure it on my own atm, so going an parents is my only choice

Jay
01-01-09, 08:53 PM
The thing is its got some mods like alloys and exhaust, but i cant afford the insurance when i tell the company about them :(

Your insurance will now be void.

NathanSRi
01-01-09, 09:30 PM
Oh right, some head scratching will be goin on at the time as to what i should do lol

Benn
01-01-09, 11:04 PM
Problem is i wouldnt be able to insure it on my own atm, so going an parents is my only choice

Why?
If its money then ask your folks for a temp loan, and you dont even know how much it will be yet.
Both here (sky) and Mig (hic and greenlight) give insureance discount for a club member.

bmw156
01-01-09, 11:16 PM
can you not take the mods off and then insure it?

Jack
02-01-09, 01:23 AM
and if i am insured with my parents on provisional, will the insurance go up when i pass?
Yes.

Thats called Fronting - telling the insurance company that your parents are the main drivers when in fact you are - and is insurance fraud (misrepresentation in order to obtain cheaper premium).

So take them off. If you can't afford to insure the mod, you can't afford to have it.

Oh right, some head scratching will be goin on at the time as to what i should do lol
Keep it standard and be prepared to pay. Ring up every insurer you can find and shop around - go back to Company A if you get a better quote off Company B for example. Limit your mileage, fit security, etc. If insurance really is a problem for you then consider getting a cheap shed for a year then having a nova once you have a years no claims bonus.

Sorry to sound grumpy, but thats how it is. Insurance companies look at car forums btw.

NathanSRi
02-01-09, 07:17 PM
Cheers for the Replies guys, much appreciated