PDA

View Full Version : Putting a price on my Nova

markfreeman
01-01-09, 04:46 PM
I’ve had my car advertised in the forums here and in the classifieds section of Total Vauxhall for several months and I’m reaching the point where I’m running out of time to sell it (before I move abroad).

The thing is, I advertised it for £offers originally and then offers around £3500 but of all of the enquires I had for it seem to be suggesting that it’s priced too high.

How much does everyone think its worth?

For sale thread is here: http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102064

Bar a bit of rust on one of the rear arches it’s a perfect shell. It had a lot of work done to it to get it as clean as possible for the show scene a number of years ago and has been garaged with very little use since.

Cheers for your help.
Mark.

Spudly
01-01-09, 05:02 PM
Id say thats a good price for what indeed looks to be a stunningly clean one but its a case of its only really worth what someone is willing to pay for it and at this time of year youre going to struggle selling it anyways tbh especially with so many out of work at the moment!

Best of luck selling it though bud it looks lovely in those pics:thumb:

Adam
01-01-09, 05:11 PM
Its all about finding the right buyer.....
Someone who wants a mint nova sr will be willing pay over the odds for it.
Personally i wouldnt pay anywhere near your asking price, but thats just me...

areofall
01-01-09, 05:12 PM
TBH mate, I would think £2500 would be nearer the mark, I think if it was in it's original state ie door mouldings, grey bottom etc you would have more interest in it at the asking price, has it ever been welded any were?

Will F
01-01-09, 05:17 PM
A clean SR thats been painted and needs an arch - doesnt exactly command too much tbh..

Dont get me wrong, it looks OK - but £3500 is WAY out dude!

;)

markfreeman
01-01-09, 05:19 PM
TBH mate, I would think £2500 would be nearer the mark, I think if it was in it's original state ie door mouldings, grey bottom etc you would have more interest in it at the asking price, has it ever been welded any were?

Nope, never needed any welding work on it – made sure I found a perfect shell when I bought it. Only now does it need a little work on the one arch.

krobinson
01-01-09, 06:05 PM
Little work to the arch would involve some rust treatment, filler and paint, but everyone know's it'll only return worse than before. To sort Nova's arch's they need Quaters or Arch repairs, which is gonna cost £££ to do to the standard of the rest of the car.

As a guideline, the lad who posted the Red nova in your for sale thread, was looking £2200 and ended up selling 2 weeks ago for £1300 because the market is so so bad. His was a 1.2SPI though and wouldnt demand the same money as an SR.

As much as I love your car, £3500 is too much, I honestly think you'll find it tough to get £2000.

In an Ideal world everyone would pay £3500, as i'm sure the respray suspension and wheels cost more than that back in the day.

Keith

Mike
01-01-09, 06:23 PM
Its not a sellers market at the mo chap.

IMHO, id stick it on eBay with a 99p start bid, no reserve and let it sell. Be gone in 7 days.

areofall
01-01-09, 06:30 PM
a few real low milers on piston heads below £2k with the arch work required this could be nearer the mark but hey it's hard to know

markfreeman
01-01-09, 08:42 PM
Little work to the arch would involve some rust treatment, filler and paint, but everyone know's it'll only return worse than before. To sort Nova's arch's they need Quaters or Arch repairs, which is gonna cost £££ to do to the standard of the rest of the car.

The arch would definitely need cutting out and replacing but it's the only way to get right and to the standard of the rest of the car. Agree though, it'll cost a bit of cash but is worth doing for anyone that want's a show car.

I guess I thought I'd have more interest in the car as there's so few examples like this around these days. Gutted I never did the arch work at the time of the bodywork – it was all sound then though.

Cheers

krobinson
01-01-09, 09:09 PM
If your not going to the states forever, I recommend putting it in storage till you get back.

If your going to the states forever, then I recommend shipping it out there. How cool would it be to have a car that no one else will have out there. And parts can be posted over as/when you need them.

EUROTURBO
02-01-09, 12:42 PM
id say ebay with a 99p start and a 3k reserve, nice enough clean car, someone will buy it, as stated before, its just about finding the right buyer, nice example though so hold out for good money.

good luck

bmw156
02-01-09, 12:52 PM
If your not going to the states forever, I recommend putting it in storage till you get back.

If your going to the states forever, then I recommend shipping it out there. How cool would it be to have a car that no one else will have out there. And parts can be posted over as/when you need them.

second that

Welsh Dan
02-01-09, 01:03 PM
Until I saw the bit about the arch I'd have said its worth about a grand if I were buying. Take the cost of having the rear quarter done off that and its worth £500-700. If it wasn't for the single wiper, 6x9s in the rear cards and the bright red gearnob it would appeal more. I know those things can be put right but the original parts would still need to be purchased. I wouldn't really be interested in the speedlines either, but from your point of view they should sell on their own fairly easily.

markfreeman
02-01-09, 01:47 PM

I'm moving to the States indefinitely. Originally I'd thought about shipping it out there and doing loads more work to it but I'm just not sure it would be that much fun to drive out there.

Right now the plan is to sell it and take the cash out to the States to put into a new project. I'll be living in Southern California so it's only right that I build a hot rod!

Graeme
02-01-09, 01:51 PM
I like your plan, our kid lives in San Diego and you right, it would be rude not to build something muscle orientated

vaughanmc
02-01-09, 01:54 PM
You never thought about breaking the car ? Or do you not have enough time for that

draper
02-01-09, 01:55 PM
your best bet is ebay id say, if you cant be bothered with the hassle/noobs on the bay id take the wheels off and sell them (easy 350 there) then ask for 1k for the car

Nova_Tek
02-01-09, 02:15 PM
second that

Thirded man. Take it with you. It will be a one of a kind.

Yeah I agree that being in America you would have to build the obligatory muscle car but you will have a European car that can handle and go round corners, ok its a Nova and not an Audi R8 but still.

You will probably enjoy driving the car out there more then here, wide straight roads most of the time. Will be more of an adventure and Im sure it will turn some fat yank heads lol If ti turns heads you never know they might ask for it to be in a film ;) (Im trying my best to convince you but still its not impossible)

I may be moving abroad too and I will deffo take my Nova with me.

:thumb:

brainsnova
02-01-09, 02:21 PM
putting a car on ebay for starting bid 99p and reserve of 3k is :tard:. id say ebay it starting bid £2000

Lee H
02-01-09, 09:21 PM
You never thought about breaking the car ? Or do you not have enough time for that

Doubt it would break for much more than £1k so wouldn't be worth it.

craig green
02-01-09, 09:25 PM
£3500 is OTT but she is a beaut. For that kind of money people expect a big block conversion & top spec.

£2000 should see it gone sharpish.

Pistol Pete
02-01-09, 10:17 PM
Some recent pics in your ad might help aswell. Posting up the pics of what it used to look like (which looked very good BTW) makes it out to be something its not IMO. As said, £3500 does seem abit high, and no-one really buys cars this time of year. Maybe lower your asking price and you might get some takers.

Good luck with the sale.

Riggy
02-01-09, 10:30 PM
imo id say its about 1000 tops as it is , then bout 1500 with the arch work

but it is a very nice car though mate , 3500 would be getting you a mint spec xe or tubby nova really

garethcolley
02-01-09, 10:38 PM
i agree with riggy there, id expect to get around that for my LET and thats pretty mint. Good luck though mate, very nice car.

EUROTURBO
04-01-09, 12:41 PM
gotta say mate as much as the above comments are valid, i sold my SRI nova about 3 years ago for £2500 and yours looks cleaner than mine...

markfreeman
04-01-09, 04:55 PM
Appreciate all your help guys.

There's quite a lot of difference in the prices mentioned but I agree that it's only ever going to be worth as much as someone wants to pay to get a good shell. It's a bad time to be selling the car I know and if I could I'd hold on to it. I really don't want to get to the point where it has to go on eBay though though.

I guess things would be different if the arch were as good as the rest of the car. I didn't really think that would be such a big deal on the sale though as all other areas of the shell that normally rot are still really good.

So where's good to be trying to sell it? I have it on the forum here and on Mig – I was also thinking of putting it on Piston Heads and in the classifieds of various other magazines also. What do you guys reckon?

Cheers.
Mark.

VXandy
04-01-09, 05:06 PM
So how much will you be selling this for now then Mark?

Leeboo
04-01-09, 05:27 PM
Yes dude but the fact that its a good shell won't bump its value up to the likes of £3500. Good shells are hard to get but not that hard. I'd be after a fully restored Sport for that money at the moment.

Please don't get me wrong, I think your car looks lovely and I'm sure if I seen it in real life I'd appreciate it.

markfreeman
12-01-09, 08:48 PM
To be honest I'm at a bit of a loss for what price to be asking for right now. Have been out of the game for a while but after doing some research here, I've got mixed ideas of the cars worth.

They'll be an advert in Total Vauxhall this month for £3250 which I personally think is pretty fair for the car. If anyone's seriously interested in the car but wants to discuss the price I'm happy to do so.

Hope this helps.
Cheers. Mark

Matt
12-01-09, 09:40 PM
£3.5k is way too much imo, especially with a rotton arch! Fairdoos the rest of it is pretty mint but at the end of the day its just a standard SR (not that it has the side vinyl etc) with Speedlines, coilovers and 1 or 2 other bits. For that sort of money I'd be expecting something more along the lines of a bare shell rebuild with a very decent engine spec. I wouldn't expect anyone to pay more than 2k for it tbh.

Good luck with it anyway though, tidy looking Nova.

:thumb:

SRimon
12-01-09, 10:25 PM
£2000 in my eyes.

With the arch done £2200, i;d be tempted at that lol

DW-Nova
12-01-09, 10:43 PM
£3250 !!!! That is far far too much ! fair enough it dose look nice yeh but in the end it's still an old nova with a rusty wheel arch, not dissing your car at all and i love novas but this is far too much ! to put it in perspective i sold my 05 plate renault megane with 11k on in mint nic last jan for £4000 ! I would imagine the most most most you will get is £1500, sorry but i'm being realistic !

Simon 1867
16-01-09, 10:58 AM

^^ I agree. take it with you, you know you will miss it when it has gone:thumb: