PDA

View Full Version : Tracking for Tarmac Rally's/Track? Track boys help please!

greg1.4
31-12-08, 04:51 PM
hey there, just wondering what you track boys have found the best way to run your nova is (e.g tracking)..

i am running proflex 2 way adjustable struts on the front, alloy eccentric top mounts, polybushed, harry hockley uniballs, adjustable camber caster brackets..it does handle good, but i need some help with the tracking..

from what i have heard (rally boys), that the front wheels should be towed in 1-2mm, as much caster as possible and a little camber..

i tried that at the weekend and it seems good, no understeer at all..

now where should the back wheels be pointing? should they be following the front wheels also? towed in 1 or 2mm?

if so how can you adjust the rear wheels, i am running bilstein coilovers on the rear..

Jay
31-12-08, 04:52 PM
hey there, just wondering what you track boys have found the best way to run your nova is (e.g tracking)..

i am running proflex 2 way adjustable struts on the front, alloy eccentric top mounts, polybushed, harry hockley uniballs, adjustable camber caster brackets..it does handle good, but i need some help with the tracking..

from what i have heard (rally boys), that the front wheels should be towed in 1-2mm, as much caster as possible and a little camber..

i tried that at the weekend and it seems good, no understeer at all..

now where should the back wheels be pointing? should they be following the front wheels also? towed in 1 or 2mm?

if so how can you adjust the rear wheels, i am running bilstein coilovers on the rear..

You cannot adjust your rear wheel allingment with out rear track rods.

greg1.4
31-12-08, 05:01 PM
thats what i thought also, but heard you can do it using some sort of shims?

Mike
31-12-08, 05:07 PM
thats what i thought also, but heard you can do it using some sort of shims?

Yes you can but seriously i would not recomment if for any type of legal motorsport TBH. You know yourself on tarmac stages airtime is always a possiblity, a hard landing could result in literally losing a rear hub assembly complete with rim!

Tracking wise, yes toe in 1 to 2mm. My setup (albeit for a 106) is a front -1.8mm. The rear is -1mm but thats due to a lower torsion bar.

t45_ste
31-12-08, 05:08 PM
Im sure ive heard you should shim the rear stub axle the width of a hacksaw blade.

Mike
31-12-08, 05:13 PM
What width rims you running Greg??

greg1.4
31-12-08, 05:29 PM
not sure what i will be running yet..i have just been using anything for testing just now..

why, is this important?

Mike
31-12-08, 05:37 PM
Well, the wider the rim the less negative you want.

If it were me, and i was using say a 7J rim, id start with a nonimal figure of about -1mm. Where as if it were a 6J rim, id start at about -1.4mm.

Set your nominal figure, take it on a shakedown, increase said nonimal figure, another shakedown..etc etc you get the idea.

Just keep playing around with camber until you reach a point where you are happy with it. Dont forgot though, increased damping rates for a tarmac surface (not saying your stupid or owt, just informing if your not aware)

Mike
31-12-08, 05:43 PM
BTW, just to add, you'll know when youve got to much front camber as your turn in at speed will be non existant!

greg1.4
31-12-08, 05:44 PM
mmm..not sure what size..

thats another thing i need to look at..

its just a 1300, 120bhp at the most, but i will be fitting a sccr box, what cwp should i go for?

what size of tyres and wheel's should i run on tar?

i will be running 14inch in the forests, but not sure what to run on tarmac?

whats tyre choices like for 14'' tar tyres?

Mike
31-12-08, 05:49 PM
mmm..not sure what size..

thats another thing i need to look at..

its just a 1300, 120bhp at the most, but i will be fitting a sccr box, what cwp should i go for?

what size of tyres and wheel's should i run on tar?

i will be running 14inch in the forests, but not sure what to run on tarmac?

whats tyre choices like for 14'' tar tyres?

Cant answer the CWP qeustion Im afraid as i dont know much about SCCR for GM motors, just french hatchs lol

My choice of rim for tarmac would be 14", you got quit a choice with tarmac tyres TBH chap, KHumo do some real good budget slicks (wet & dry), not sure of Colway still make moulded slicks anymore though.
Then the obligitary, Michelin's and Dunlops (From my experience, the Dunlop wets are pap mind!)

greg1.4
31-12-08, 05:59 PM
will probably be 14inch i end up running..

had 15's on at the weekend, yokohama tyres, very good compared to what i have been used to.

they came with my nova rally car..

really not sure what's best to do with cwp/size of wheels for tarmac..

4.5 seems the favourite choice, but 4.8 sounds good as it will be alot quicker awap from line/corner to corner. if i was just doign small single venue events i would go for the 4.8

if i did likes of the jim clark rally or tour of mull i would need a 4.5..

but i am doing a bit of everything..

scottish forest rally championship and some rounds of the scottish tarmac rally chmapionship..

Mike
31-12-08, 06:06 PM
Theres a 4.29cwp on eBay at the mo if thats any use to you? Should still be there, saw it yesterday evening.

EDIT: Just checked, and its still there.

greg1.4
31-12-08, 06:09 PM
running a 4.2 just now, its too low..

need more acceleration.

not sure if 4.8 will be a bit overkill though.. wouldnt mind trying both..

cheers for all the help mike mate..

Mike
31-12-08, 06:14 PM
running a 4.2 just now, its too low..

need more acceleration.

not sure if 4.8 will be a bit overkill though.. wouldnt mind trying both..

cheers for all the help mike mate..

Nay bother chap, if you get stuck though drop us a PM chap as i may be able to help.

Dar
31-12-08, 06:21 PM
You may benfit from reading this (http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html). On track driving and rally driving need different setups, so it's worth understading why you are doing something etc etc.

Slight toe in is good for a rally car though. Steer clear of Colways. Hankook do a very good tarmac rally tyre.

Sturge
31-12-08, 07:07 PM
Why steer clear of Colways? Their reputation for rally tyres is superb

Dar
31-12-08, 07:13 PM
Why steer clear of Colways? Their reputation for rally tyres is superb
Not from what I have heard from my club (Rally boys) and also elsewhere. Only heard bad reports about them. In a nutshell you get what you pay for.

greg1.4
31-12-08, 07:43 PM
i know front wheels should be towed in..

but what should we do with rear wheels?

do they need to be towed in also? if so how do we do it?

andymac
31-12-08, 08:29 PM
leave the rear wheels as they are most the boys i know run the front with a bit negative camber and leave the rears as they are. dont go near colways one of the worst tyres i have used so far to soft an alot of flex in the sidewall hard to get now as colway are bust. im using kumho ecstas and there an amazing tyre so much morebgrip an road holding cant reccomend enough even the price!

tom reid
31-12-08, 08:36 PM
You need to calculate your gear ratio's and cw+p to give you an overall feeling of what the car will accelerate to, need circumference of wheel measurment and what rev's your engine will safely pull, use an online calculator, think Stuart has one or tey Gearboxman's website, he does have one.
A good budget set up is STD cr gears and 4.5 cw+p.

greg1.4
31-12-08, 11:13 PM
been messing around with the gearbox calculation thing..

gave me an idea..

thanks for the help.:thumb: